SUMMARY: A logicless win for the Utah Jazz who — without Rudy Gobert and Derrick Favors — beat the Eastern Conference-leading Boston Celtics.
• This was an incredible win in the most unaccepted manner. The Jazz entered the night on a four-game losing streak with no confidence and were losing their identity. Then, 1:50 into the game Rudy Gobert went down with a knee injury and then Derrick Favors took an elbow to the head and was done for the night.
• The Jazz were up by 7 points at the half and it seemed improbable that without Gobert and Favors, the Jazz could withstand 24 more minutes. Instead, they stretched the lead to 10 and then took it to as much as 17. The Celtics had won 7 of the 11 times this year when trailed by 12 but tonight they never got it inside 7.
• Donovan Mitchell was having a bad shooting night and then hit two mammoth 3s in the 4th quarter to hold off the Celtics’ surge. The Celtics cut the game to 7 and Alec Burks made a driving layup then withit a 9-point game and 6:01 left Mitchell pull for an off the bounce 3 in the face of the defender with 5:31 and on the next possession, he did the same and put the Jazz up by 15 and the night.
• Ricky Rubio was terrific. He was active defensively and was aggressive going to the basket offensively. In the Chicago the coaching staff was upset with Rubio for not taking a layup when it was available and tonight he took three layups and made a ton of plays.vHe hit on 10 of first 11 shots.
• His first shot of the night he bypassed a top of the circle 3, which he has been missing. Instead, he stepped into a 16-footer which he makes a good rate and he made it. Rubio is such a confidence player that making the first shot is vital to his game.
• Epke Udoh was terrific defensively. He covers a lot of ground. He is long defensively. He impacted shots at the rim and he cuts off drives and slides into passing lanes. After not playing for an extended period of time, he played an incredible 28 minutes. When he said he is one of the best defensive players in the world, he wasn’t kidding.
• Joe Ingles played 37 minutes. He is now averaging over 30 minutes a night.
• Donovan Mitchell had a career high 9 assists. Joe Ingles had 8 rebounds.
• First Jazz win in Boston since they beat the 2008 World Championship team.
• Gordon Hayward has still never won a game in Boston that the Jazz were involved in.
•The Jazz hit on 13 of their 25 3-point attempts.
• The Jazz trapped Kyrie at times and it got the ball out of his hands and the Celtics were unable to make the shots to take advantage of the rotations.
• The Celtics defense has not been good recently and the Jazz were able to score in the second half of this game at a very high rate.
• The Jazz held the Celtics to 4 of 21 shooting in the second quarter.
• Jonas Jerebko played a strong game in his return to Boston. He had to play some minutes at the center tonight with the Jazz.
Where do we stand now? Will first round be the hardest for the Jazz? Portland preview
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, brings you the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz
- Reports from the three biggest games from Locked On experts
- * Where the playoff race stands today
- *Will the first round be the hardest for the Utah Jazz
- Donovan Mitchell out till playoffs
- Portland offense since the Powell trade
- Quin Snyder Wednesday on Bojan Bogdanovic, transition defense and Nikola Jokic
Jazz fall to Golden State in amazing Jordan Clarkson experience, Key parts of the game, Jazz are offensive team
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider, brings you the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz with Locked On Jazz
- Jazz lose to the Warriors
- Jordan Clarkson crazy night
- Defensive issues with Rudy Gobert off the floor
- Is Rudy Gobert having the greatest defensive season of all time
- Power Ranking Tuesday
JAZZ GAME REWIND- Despite A Heroic Comeback The Jazz Fall In The Golden Gate City
After a five game homestand, the Jazz headed to San Francisco to take on the Warriors. Here is a recap of how it went down at the Chase Center.
- Where do we stand now? Will first round be the hardest for the Jazz? Portland preview May 12, 2021
- Jazz fall to Golden State in amazing Jordan Clarkson experience, Key parts of the game, Jazz are offensive team May 11, 2021
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- Despite A Heroic Comeback The Jazz Fall In The Golden Gate City May 11, 2021
- QUIN SNYDER COACHES SHOW- Let Rudy Do What He Does And Be Rudy May 11, 2021
- POSTCAST — Furious comeback falls short v. Warriors May 11, 2021
Utah Jazz5 days ago
POSTCAST – Utah Jazz get massive win over Denver Nuggets and bodacious performance from Bojan
Utah Jazz1 week ago
Bojan Bogdanovic taking advantage, Quin figuring this group out, shot charts
Utah Jazz1 week ago
What former Utah Jazz player not named Stockton or Malone would you put on this Jazz team?
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
Live Show – Utah Jazz blow out, Georges Niang’s development, Phoenix keeps winning , your questions