EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
SUMMARY: A close game turned into a blowout quickly as the Hawks defensive scheme flustered the Jazz all evening.
- The game was 61-60 in the 3rd quarter with 3:05 left when everything fell apart. The next thing you knew the Jazz were down 26, 95-69 to the Atlanta Hawks. The run was 34 to 9 in a span of 9:47 and that was the night.
- The run started with Dennis Schroeder attacking the rim the moment Rudy Gobert left the game and then it never stopped. This has been a problem throughout the season the inability to make the plays to slow down the opponents runs. In addition, the Jazz don’t have the offensive fire power to come back from these deficits so it just compounds itself when things start to go wrong.
- The Jazz didn’t start well tonight. They didn’t make a field goal until the 6:48 mark of the 1st quarter when Joe Ingles hit a three. Ricky Rubio was 0 for 5 with a turnover in the first 7 possessions of the game.
- The Hawks did some interesting thigs defensively and it had a huge impact. When a team runs a pick and roll the defensive big has a few choices. He can trap the ball handler (blitz) he can play at screen level (up) or he can drop usually stay the level of the offensive teams big and retreating with the ball handler. The Hawks took it a step further and had their big retreat into the paint immediately. This forced the Jazz into mid range shots and kept them off the rim. This eliminated Rudy Gobert and Derrick Favor’s rim rolls. The Jazz ball handlers were unable to engage the big enough to have them release and create space for either of the bigs.
- The wild part of the night is the Hawks defense also denied the Jazz getting any three point shots. The Jazz only took 15 threes in the game. Previously, the season low was 21 and 23 after that. This is a tremendous difference.
- The Hawks trailed the ball handler off the pick and roil so they couldn’t stop for the off the bounce three point shot. Then they came off the other shooters or non shooters and clogged the lane eliminating most of the passing lanes.
- Donovan Mitchell really struggled tonight. He had 6 turnovers and 0 assists. In addition, he missed his rim finishes tonight. The sagging defense of the Hawks got him into trouble in the paint. The wing defenders of Kent Bazemore and Taurean Prince were a tough athletic match for Donovan tonight. They are both long and strong.
- Atlanta does two things well offensively. They shoot the corner three the best of anyone in the NBA at 44% and they play well off turnovers. They continually got corner 3 attempts and made 9 of 14 on the night and missed their last two. The Hawks also are 23rd in offense after an opponent make, 23rd after an opponent miss but 7th off an opponent turnover. The Jazz turned it over 17 times leading to 22 points by the Hawks.
- The Jazz have struggled to be resilient inside game this year. They have trailed by 10 the 5th most of any team in the league and 4-23 in games they trail by 10 or more, only Philadelphia and the Lakers have fewer wins when trailing by 10.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022