SUMMARY: A shorthanded Utah Jazz team gets on the wrong side of Brooklyn Net’s first quarter run and never recovers, losing 118-107.
- The Brooklyn Nets went on a 14-0 run late in the first quarter to take a double-digit lead. Other than a single possession to open the fourth quarter, the Jazz never got the game inside of 10 points.
- Utah entered the game last in the league in defending the 3-point line and the issue continued tonight. The Nets hit 17 3-point shots on 37 attempts. In the past, the Jazz have also been one of the best in the league at denying the 3-point shot.
- Playing with half of the regular rotation on the shelf with injuries, the Jazz seemed to lack their usual defensive communication. The breakdowns were strange considering the elite level defensive play we have seen from this team for the last few years. Players sagged in on opposite side drives where they would have no impact on the play only to lead to a wide open 3-pointer. They had plays where one player was switching and the other wasn’t, leaving players wide open.
- Coach Igor said at the half: “We didn’t make them feel us.”
- With Ricky Rubio and Thabo Sefolosha added to the injury list — which already included Dante Exum, Joe Johnson and Rudy Gobert — the Jazz played combinations that had not played together before this season.
- The Jazz started the second half with Donovan Mitchell, Rodney Hood, Alec Burks, Joe Ingles and Derrick Favors.
- Joe Ingles went 5 for 5 from 3 tonight for 15 points.
- Donovan Mitchell started at point guard. This changes his game from free flowing into a complex, decision making game. Over the long run, it is probably good for him to experience this and learn how to play the point guard. He will likely play with the ball in his hands for much of his career.
- Raul Neto had a career high 22 points tonight on 9 of 14 shooting.
- The Jazz had some really ill-timed turnovers while they were making runs at the Nets. On one occasion, Utah had a chance to cut it to 11 on a fast break and turned it over and the Nets hit a 3 on the other side to make it a 16-point game.
- Congrats to Nate Wolters for getting back on an NBA floor for the first time in two years and to Tony Bradley for his first career NBA points.
- This was the most winnable game on this road trip. The course of this season may be considering how brutal the December schedule is going to be for the Jazz.
- It is 12:10 pm, we are yet to take off, we have a 2:45 minute flight to Orlando and a 30-minute drive from the airport to the hotel. At best, we will walk in the hotel in Orlando at 3:30 am. Tomorrow or tonight could be tough.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday
The Utah Jazz used offensive rebounding to beat the Orlando Magic. The increase in offensive rebounding is a league wide trend due to analytics. Mike Conley and Derrick Favors had interesting comments about playing in Utah in the Athletic article. It is a trend Monday as well.
Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show
If you missed tonight action, I’ll get you caught up in this edition of Jazz Game Rewind! The Utah Jazz struggled in the 1st half, but found their groove in the 2nd, as Donovan Mitchell dropped 25 second half points to lead Utah to a 124-109 victory
POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic
David Locke hosts POSTCAST after each Jazz game tonight the Jazz beat the Magic with thrid quarter surge and Donovan Mitchell commanding 2nd half play.
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday March 1, 2021
- Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show February 27, 2021
- POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic February 27, 2021
- Quin Snyder Coaches Show – Jazz @ Magic February 27, 2021
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Heat Get The Best Of The Jazz The Second Time Around February 26, 2021
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Did Clippers write defensive script? Can Rudy Gobert be more dominant? Cord cutting and buy out market for the Utah Jazz
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dwayne Wade has Donovan Mitchell as All-Star Starter, Previewing the Clippers, Quin Snyder Wednesday
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jordan Clarkson’s vibe and history, Donovan Mitchell’s pass is the fabric of the team
Utah Jazz4 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – More record setting v. Los Angeles Lakers. Utah Jazz shot clock use tells a story