SUMMARY: A shorthanded Utah Jazz team gets on the wrong side of Brooklyn Net’s first quarter run and never recovers, losing 118-107.
- The Brooklyn Nets went on a 14-0 run late in the first quarter to take a double-digit lead. Other than a single possession to open the fourth quarter, the Jazz never got the game inside of 10 points.
- Utah entered the game last in the league in defending the 3-point line and the issue continued tonight. The Nets hit 17 3-point shots on 37 attempts. In the past, the Jazz have also been one of the best in the league at denying the 3-point shot.
- Playing with half of the regular rotation on the shelf with injuries, the Jazz seemed to lack their usual defensive communication. The breakdowns were strange considering the elite level defensive play we have seen from this team for the last few years. Players sagged in on opposite side drives where they would have no impact on the play only to lead to a wide open 3-pointer. They had plays where one player was switching and the other wasn’t, leaving players wide open.
- Coach Igor said at the half: “We didn’t make them feel us.”
- With Ricky Rubio and Thabo Sefolosha added to the injury list — which already included Dante Exum, Joe Johnson and Rudy Gobert — the Jazz played combinations that had not played together before this season.
- The Jazz started the second half with Donovan Mitchell, Rodney Hood, Alec Burks, Joe Ingles and Derrick Favors.
- Joe Ingles went 5 for 5 from 3 tonight for 15 points.
- Donovan Mitchell started at point guard. This changes his game from free flowing into a complex, decision making game. Over the long run, it is probably good for him to experience this and learn how to play the point guard. He will likely play with the ball in his hands for much of his career.
- Raul Neto had a career high 22 points tonight on 9 of 14 shooting.
- The Jazz had some really ill-timed turnovers while they were making runs at the Nets. On one occasion, Utah had a chance to cut it to 11 on a fast break and turned it over and the Nets hit a 3 on the other side to make it a 16-point game.
- Congrats to Nate Wolters for getting back on an NBA floor for the first time in two years and to Tony Bradley for his first career NBA points.
- This was the most winnable game on this road trip. The course of this season may be considering how brutal the December schedule is going to be for the Jazz.
- It is 12:10 pm, we are yet to take off, we have a 2:45 minute flight to Orlando and a 30-minute drive from the airport to the hotel. At best, we will walk in the hotel in Orlando at 3:30 am. Tomorrow or tonight could be tough.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022