SUMMARY: The Jazz’s offense didn’t travel from Orlando and ran into the same issues as last time versus Philadelphia to lose 107-86.
- The last time the Jazz played the 76ers, Utah took more shots in the non-restricted area than in any other game all season. The 76ers forced the Jazz into the same types of shots tonight and they were unable to covert.
- Unofficially, the Jazz went 4 for 19 on mid-range 2s and that doesn’t count the amount of shots they took in the paint non-restricted area.
- The 76ers are the best defensive team when Joel Embiid is on the floor and his impact was huge tonight. The 76ers went under on almost every pick and then held onto the other 3-point shooters. When the Jazz drove into the lane, they couldn’t make plays around the rim because of Embiid.
- Embiid is incredibly talented. He is the most skilled big man in the league by a large margin and I am not sure he really knows how to play the game yet. It is incredible what he does to impact the game and what he is capable of doing inside of it.
- The defense was great for the first half of the game. Utah kept the Sixers from making a 3 for the first two quarters. The Jazz were still relatively in the game because of the defense. However, scoring was a real struggle and there is a point along the way when scoring becomes so cumbersome that the defense starts to wane. This is happening to the Jazz each night.
- The play most Jazz fans will talk about is when Donovan Mitchell drove to the basket and Embiid blocked Donovan’s shot and then stared him down while he was on the floor. Mitchell wanted none of that and ran back up the floor and pushed Embiid. Embiid knew it was coming and flopped in a manner that would have made a soccer player jealous. This showed some fight from Mitchell. I am pretty sure no one in the Jazz brass is bothered by the way he reacted. It is better than taking a wet willie and not doing anything about it. Embiid said he flopped when asked about it after the game.
- Donovan had a pretty cool play early in the game where he got Embiid switched on him and walked on his heels into a pull up jumper and buried it.
- Donovan played the most minutes tonight with 37.
- Alec Burks went 1 for 10 to cap off a tough road trip for AB. It felt as though he was on verge of taking a big stride and becoming vital to the Jazz helping their scoring woes, but it didn’t happen on this trip and he went 7 of 36 for the road trip and missed all 12 3-point attempts.
- The Jazz had the Al Jefferson rule go against them tonight. When your leading shot taker has more FGA than points, you will lose about 90% of the time. Both Donovan (19 FGA 17 pts) and Hood (17 FGA and 13 pts) hit the Al Jefferson rule tonight.
- Joe Ingles is not going to be successful as a high usage player and it means there is a real burden on Hood and Mitchell to shoot. The ball movement on the Jazz can be super, but at other times when there are guys on the floor who are unlikely to shoot it leads to one-on-one play. Ingles was probably on the floor for 50 offensive possessions tonight and took four shots. Jonas Jerebko is in the same boat so it means lots of possessions for Donovan and Rodney whether they are rolling or not.
- Ben Simmons took over the game in the third quarter and it is hard to stop him when he gets going downhill. He has such a great handle for a guy his size, is able to get where he wants and can expand over the top of whomever is guarding him. He can pass it if he needs to with great vision and finished the night with 27 points and 10 rebounds.
- Royce O’Neale hit his first NBA 3-pointer.
- The Jazz went 1-3 on the road trip. The rest of the West is not running away, in fact the amount of dysfunction on the West is remarkable. However, the schedule is not on the Jazz’s side. It gets brutal in a hurry and Utah left some wins in the rear view mirror.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff
Reports have the Utah Jazz hiring Will Hardy as their new head coach. The 34 year old assistant to the Boston Celtics and formerly of the San Antionio Spurs is on the verge of becoming the next head coach of the Utah Jazz. The Jazz believe in Hardy giving him a reportidly 5 year deal. David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, breaks down the influences that formed Will Hardy from his unique college experience at Williams College to his journey to the Spurs bench and all the coaches that have touched him along the way. One thing has been universally true about Will Hardy, everyone knew he was on the path to great things and leading people. The quotes about him from his high school coach to his college coach to Gregg Popovich all tell the same story. Locke also digs into what he believes the style of play will be and what will happen with his coaching staff.
3:00: What is Will Hardy’s journey
5:00: The influence of Williams College
8:00: Curt Tong, the life changer
12:00: Quotes from his coaches
15:00: 6 to 60 it didn’t matter
24:00: Style of play
28:00: Will Alex Jensen stay with the Utah Jazz
31:00: Coaching circles
Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022
- The case for Alex Jensen for Utah Jazz head coach, NBA Free Agency dominos and NBA menus June 27, 2022