SUMMARY: The Jazz rolled to a 23 point lead and look for a comfortable win but looks were deceiving and the Wolves rallied back before the Jazz held on for their 8th win in 9 games
- The Jazz won their 8th in 9 games and most of the night will be remember for the tight finish and blowing the 23 point lead they had in the 3rd
- At the same time the Jazz made a tremendous amount of big plays even in the midst of the Minnesota run that allowed them to win the game. The biggest was the final defensive stop when Rudy Gobert went out to the three point line to alter the shot of Anthony Toliver after the Minnesota play broke down.
- Minnesota had four chances to tie or take the lead at the end and were never able to convert
- Some of the other big plays by the Jazz included a Rudy Gobert follow dunk after Donovan Mitchell made an amazing play to grab an offensive rebound. Gobert had a great defensive stop late in the game when Andrew Wiggins tried to go 1 on 1 off the pick and roll.
- Andrew Wiggins finished 8 of 25 and 7 of 22 from the 2 point range
- Donovan Mitchell had his first ever double double with 23 points, a career high 11 assists and 6 rebounds. Donovan shot didn’t fall in the 2nd half as he was just 2 for 14 from the field. In the third quarter run he made two amazing passes on a fastball from the right high quadrant to the left corner for a three for Georges Niang and then another amazing pass to Kyle Korver for a big three that was another of those big plays that kept the game in the win colulm.
- Rudy Gobert in 36 minutes tonight was +15. He had 18 points, 16 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and 4 blocks. His impact is amazing
- Karl Anthony Towns committed two really obvious fouls in the opening moments of the game and almost immediately got his 3rd when he returned on a really heady play from Ricky Rubio who on a loose ball immediately attacked on off balance Towns to draw his 3rd
- Town ignited in the 2nd half and scored 29 points to bring the Wolves back from 23 points down to tie the game.
- Kyle Korver with 4 threes in a games when Korver has 3 three pointers the Jazz have not lost.
- The third quarter by the Jazz 38 to 24 was the really game changer. The end will be most remembered but the game was over in the third when the Jazz got up by 23 and it meant that the Wolves ran out of gas in the end.
- Jazz shot distribution was a vital part of the win. 40 threes and 28 shots at the rim. 68 of 94 shots 72% which is a bit low. The Wolves however were 26 threes and 28 shots at the rim 54 of 90 shots only 60%. This matters in a close game. Part of the Jazz defensive brilliance is forcing the correct shots.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – President’s Weekend Edition – Where the West Stands, Jazz rotations and more plus Points Gained
The All-Star break is here and David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider has what to look for in the 2nd half of the season in the Western Conference teams and their schedule.
Then Locke takes your questions largely about rotations and combinations that the Utah Jazz are playing or could play. Then it is time for Points Gained.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Warriors recap, guys stepping up and where the Utah Jazz stand at the break
The Utah Jazz played their final game prior to the All-Star break and lost to the Golden State Warriors. The Jazz showed a lot of fight and grit. Two players in particular continue to be superb.
The Warriors also showed the World Champion approach and got brilliant stretches from Draymond Green and Steph Curry.
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, takes a look at where the Jazz stand as we hit the all-star break and what they have ahead.
POSTCAST – Jazz show grit Warriors show World Champ chops
Utah Jazz radio post game show about the Utah Jazz battle with the Golden State Warriors
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Impact of the Tobias Harris deal, rumors and Utah Jazz decisions
Utah Jazz1 week ago
EMPTYING THE NOGGIN – Jazz buck the Spurs in a blow out win
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Korver impact v. best teams. Two most interesting trade discussions and Time Machine Tuesday
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – A Trade-less deadline for the Utah Jazz