SUMMARY: Sixers unique style prevents the Jazz from having an impact on the game defensively and Sixers roll to a blow out win 114-97
• The Jazz defense has been amazing for the last 7 games and tonight the defense had very little impact on the game.
• The Sixers are a unique team because of their three main talents, Ben Simmons, Joel Embiid and Jimmy Butler. In addition, they play a style of play that is very different than other teams in the NBA.
• The Sixers run 34 picks a game. The Jazz run 90 that is the two ends of the spectrum, but the 34 picks by the Sixers is really an incredible number. The league average is in the 60s, the next fewest is the Warriors with 45. This makes them different. For the Jazz it is a problem. The Jazz are the #2 team defensively in the NBA guarding the pick and tonight it wasn’t a factor.
• The Jazz are also the #4 team in the NBA defensively against the drive. Guess what the Sixers rank 29th in the NBA in drives. The Jazz didn’t get to use that strength tonight either.
• The Sixers are a tough match-up. Because Ben Simmons can’t shoot the Jazz had him guarded by Derrick Favors and the other power forwards. Simmons is such a beast on the boards you have to guard him with someone of like size. (6’10 230) The problem is that Simmons is guarded your guards so when you switch sides of the floor it becomes very difficult to match up and find your man. Simmons pushes the temp with such force that the defense is now on its heels and looking for matchups with whomever they can guard. The Jazz struggled with this all night and the again because of these mismatches it was hard for the Jazz defense to have the same impact they had the previous nights.
• The Sixers scored 35 in the 2nd and 38 in the 3rd
• Embiid also takes all of Gobert’s attention and this allows for back cuts and this resulted in numerous alley opp buckets for the Sixers.
• Embiid is so incredibly skilled. He started the night 1 for 4 against Gobert and then got going a bit when Favors guarded him and never stopped rolling when Gobert came back against him. He finished the night making 8 of his final 13 shots.
• JJ Reddick coming off handoffs was a hard handle for the Jazz tonight. Strangely, the Jazz rank 29th in the NBA guarding handoffs.
• Offensively the Jazz had 0 fast break points. According to cleaning the glass the Jazz average .375 points per possession off a live rebound. This is the one area where the Jazz offense is considerably less good than last year despite playing with increased pace. However, .375 is an incredible number when league average is over 1.1. The Jazz couldn’t get any push tonight from their offense off their defense.
• Dante Exum was the bright spot tonight. He was better than his stat line as he went 0 for 4 in the 4th quarter. He had 20 points, a season high and scored in array of fashions. He hit is first off the bounce three of the season. He hit two catch and shoot threes. He continues to play with a great deal of force.
• First time the Jazz lost when Kyle Korver hit two threes in a game
• Ricky Rubio’s terrific shooting for December took the night off going 1 for 10.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022