SUMMARY: A solid win for the Utah Jazz holding off a hot shooting third quarter to put on their own display of shooting in the 4th.
• This a win that a good team gets. Minnesota is short handed, missing three point guards. You have to be good enough to take advantage of that weakness. It is hard to beat a team twice in 48 and because they know where you are coming from and how you are attacking from them. However, Minnesota had a weakness significant enough that the Jazz were able to continue to exploit them.
• The Jazz are 9-7 on the road against Western Conference team. Only the Warriors are better at 9-6 and they are the only other team over .500.
• The key stretch of the night was in the 3rd quarter when the Timberwolves went nuts from three. The Wolves hit their final 2 threes of the 2nd quarter and then proceeded to hit 7 of 8 to start the third quarter. That the Jazz were able to stay in the game in this stretch was the key to the night.
• It was largely Donovan answering their threes with twos to keep the game close. Ricky Rubio made a bunch of plays in the third quarter as well.
• Minnesota lead 2 to 1 and didn’t lead again until 79 to 78 with 3:10 left in the 3rd quarter. The Jazz re-gained the lead after each of the three time Minnesota lead until they broke away at 86-83 and never trailed again.
• The Jazz went shooting nuts in the 4th quarter themselves. It was 90-85 to start the quarter. The Jazz opened 3 of 4 from three to start the quarter and it was 99-90 with 9:00 left in the 4th and the game was virtually over.
• Jazz had great balance tonight. 7 players were in double figures. The ball moved really well. Donovan knew where to get his shots in the 2nd half and when to attack and when to take the mid range shots.
• For all the talk of rim and threes and no mid range. That is not really fair. It is the correct mid range shots. The Jazz shot an amazing 85% of their shots at the rim or as a three. More importantly of the 14 mid range shots 10 of them were taken by Donovan. Donovan can use the mid-range to open up driving lanes for himself and for threes for his teammates. The mid range shots that have no chance to develop any other offense are to be avoided. In addition, Donovan is the only player shooting above 40% on long twos on the roster. Donovan taking mid range is not a bad shot since it opens other things. Moreover, it is really not a bad shot if he takes 10 free throws like he did tonight.
• Jazz have a nice rotation going to that starts with the starting line-up then runs with Donovan and Rudy before turning into Favors and Ingles. The Jazz are playing Rudy and Donovan 30 minutes together a night and it is wildly successful.
• Jazz offense won this game. Great ball movement. Super shot selection. 16 corner 3s. Consistent effort on the road. Solid win tonight that a good team wins.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – President’s Weekend Edition – Where the West Stands, Jazz rotations and more plus Points Gained
The All-Star break is here and David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider has what to look for in the 2nd half of the season in the Western Conference teams and their schedule.
Then Locke takes your questions largely about rotations and combinations that the Utah Jazz are playing or could play. Then it is time for Points Gained.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Warriors recap, guys stepping up and where the Utah Jazz stand at the break
The Utah Jazz played their final game prior to the All-Star break and lost to the Golden State Warriors. The Jazz showed a lot of fight and grit. Two players in particular continue to be superb.
The Warriors also showed the World Champion approach and got brilliant stretches from Draymond Green and Steph Curry.
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, takes a look at where the Jazz stand as we hit the all-star break and what they have ahead.
POSTCAST – Jazz show grit Warriors show World Champ chops
Utah Jazz radio post game show about the Utah Jazz battle with the Golden State Warriors
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Impact of the Tobias Harris deal, rumors and Utah Jazz decisions
Utah Jazz1 week ago
EMPTYING THE NOGGIN – Jazz buck the Spurs in a blow out win
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Korver impact v. best teams. Two most interesting trade discussions and Time Machine Tuesday
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – A Trade-less deadline for the Utah Jazz