Summary: Jazz come from behind with Donovan Mitchell scoring the last 12 points to win it over Oklahoma City Thunder 110-109.
- Donovan Mitchell had a real struggle tonight dealing with the defense of Lou Dort. Last year Donovan was 2 for 13 when guarded by Lou Dort. Donovan started 0 for 4 in the first quarter and was scuffling all night until he scored the final 12 points over the final 5:30 to put the Jazz over the top. Donovan hit the game winner off a left hand drive beating Dort to get the last laugh.
- Mike Conley was terrific tonight. When Bojan and Donovan were struggling early he carried the load and missed his first ever triple double by 1 assist. Mike had 13 points in the first half and finished with 20 points, 10 rebounds and 9 assists. Conley was an artist. He picked his spots great. He lead fast breaks. When Rudy got pulled out of the lane on defense he went back and crashed the glass and helped the team. This was a superb performance from a big time player.
- Defensively teams don’t want to involve Rudy in anything. He is so dominating defensively that he eliminates the opposing teams pick and roll and their hand off games. Tonight Al Horford was able to pull the jazz out and hit a bunch of threes as the night went on the Thunder just went 1 on 1 on Jazz perimeter defenders and beat them into the paint and this forced help into the paint and it lead to open three point shoots for the Thunder.
- The Jazz defense is not able to alter teams shot charts in the early games of the season the way they have the last few seasons. This has been a really important aspect of what makes the Jazz defense great and it is important they get back to this aspect of their game. Tonight the Thunder took 38% of their shots at the rim and 41% of their shots as threes.
- Derrick Favors and Joe Ingles had a nice first quarter to spart the Jazz offense after the Jazz fell behind 14-4.
- Lou Dort went Game 7 v. Houston on the Jazz and hit 5 of 7 from three and finished with 26 points plus great defense most of the night on Donovan.
- Donovan played some good defensive possesions on SAG late as well.
- George Hill made some massive plays late in the game for the Thunder, an offensive rebound kick out for three and a back door cut layup.
- Fina play of the game the Jazz were down 1 and the Thunder inbounded to Horford who was guarded by Gobert, they couldn’t get the intial handoff to SGA so when Horford turned over his left shoulder Gobert him off, then Gobert denied the cutting George Hill and when they threw it back to SGA he switched onto him and forced him into an awkward fade away runner that missed. Gobert literally cut off three options on one play. He is amazing.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022