SUMMARY: Jazz couple a great defensive performance with hot shooting and blow out the Portland Trailblazers.
• Jazz won their 10th road game of the season and I am writing this on our halfway flight of the year. Incredible to be done with half the road games and half the flights by Dec 21st.
• The Jazz defense has clicked in. They have put together 5 straight games with a defensive rating over under 100. Holding teams to 7 points below the league average and for the last three opponents all top 10 offensive teams to 10 points below their average is remarkable. The Jazz only had one stretch last season where they held opponents defensive rating under 100 for more than 5 games when they did it for 9 straight in March.
• I was not a big believer in the Kyle Korver effect. The idea that Kyle Korver was making everyone else a better shooter. I am still not sure I buy it, but I do think some guys are getting better looks. Jae Crowder and Kyle Korver have been playing together almost exclusively recently and there is no question Jae is getting better looks.
• Tonight Quin played a line-up of Exum, Korver, Ingles, Crowder and Favors. Before tonight Korver, Ingles and Crowder had only played 48 possessions together. Korver and Ingles had only played 67 possessions. Interestingly, before tonight these combination hadn’t worked. However, when you put Dante and the point guard and Favors at the center it looked really interesting. Before tonight this group had only played 6 possessions.
• Here is why it looked interesting. Exum and Favors are currently our best pick and roll combination by pts per possession. This is our best pick and roll combination with our best three shooters on the floor. You can’t leave Ingles or Korver for an open three and when Crowder is wide open he is a good shooter. Crowder is 8 of 53 when a defender is within 4 feet of him on a three over the last two seasons. When he is open he is a 35% from three. That is a great option. This group will have to be able to defend, but on the offensive end it sure is interesting.
• This is a huge find if it works. What jumped out to me recently was the bench unit was completely different from last years when Mitchell and Neto were the point guards. O’Neale was the 2 with Crowder at the 3, Jerebko the 4 and Favors the 5. This year it has been struggling and maybe Quin has found a new combination.
• The Jazz ability to execute the defensive game plan that last three games against top 10 defenses is really incredible. Tonight they took the ball out of Lillard’s hands with traps and blitzs on the pick and roll and the then on the backside were fabulous. CJ McCollulm couldn’t get anything going tonight, he was 5 of 15. This is the second straight night an opposing shooting guard who is very explosive had a non impact on the game. Nice work Donovan.
• Damian Lillard was 7 of 16 with 4 threes. 2 of the threes came when he re-located to the corner off a miss. He only got two threes in the half court offense in its natural flow.
• Ricky Rubio had a poor shooting first half and then in the second half went bananas. He made 9 straight shots. It all started with a layup. The layup seems to be the key for Rubio. In the first half he missed a reverse layup and then wouldn’t take it again. In the third quarter on the second play he came of a UCLA cut for a easy layup and it started him.
• Dante Exum was fabulous tonight. As I mentioned the combination with Crowder, Korver and Ingles seemed to give him space to work and he made super reads on his passes. His defense was long and tough on Lilard. Dante has dealt with the hard moments this year really well and kept working. Recently he has been working with Jeff Watkinson and has really been grinding.
• The biggest play of the game came out of a timeout in the 4th quarter. Lillard had just hit a three it was a 12 point game and it felt like the Blazers were coming. Out of the timeout Quin Snyder went to the Kyle Korver package and got Kyle a three and he nailed to make it 15. Blazers missed and then Korver hit a pull up 18 footer plus a foul and with the free throw Jazz were up 18.
• Jazz lead 7 after 1. Stretched it to 12 then it got down to 6 at the half. Jazz jumped out early in the third and took it to 15 going to the 4th before blowing the doors off.
• The jazz hit 16 three pointers.
• Feels like Jae Crowder has turned a shot selection corner.
• Jazz are playing a 4 game stretch against the top 4 teams in the West last year and it took 47 from Harden and 4 steps to beat them in Houston and they just beat the Warriors and blew out the Blazers. Thunder are next. Maybe the toughest team in the league to play on a back to back.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022