SUMMARY: Dwyane Wade has “retro burst” leading Miami to a late game win over the Jazz
- The last three plays will get the most discussion tonight. Donovan Mitchell drove to the basket guarded by a great defender in Josh Richardson and missed a driving layup where the Jazz felt he got fouled. Dwayne Wade drove the basket went into Rudy Gobert and a late whistle gave Wade the call on the Gobert. Wade made both free throws. Quin Snyder drew up a masterful play and got Donovan Mitchell a wide open three and he missed it and the Jazz lost 102-100
- The Jazz started the game terrifically and took a 19 point lead when Raul Neto hit a layup to put the Jazz up 35 to 16. Then the Jazz would proceed to miss 15 straight shots. The final two of the first quarter and then the first 13 of the 2nd quarter allowing Miami to go on a 21-0 run and take a 2 point lead.
- From that point on it was quite a game. The first lead change came at the 7:26 mark of the 2nd quarter and we would have another 16 over the next 31 minutes of basketball along with 16 ties. The 2nd and 3rd quarter each had only one possession where either team lead by more than 3 points.
- The final 7:56 neither team lead by more than 3. This was a super game.
- The talk will be Wade got the call because he is a superstar and Donovan didn’t because he isn’t. That is inaccurate. Wade got the call because he jumps vertically and challenges the shot blocker and there is a lot of contact. Wade came into the league as a foul drawer and understands how to drive with a balance that allows him to jump up and strong to play off contact. Donovan does not do this. Wade very well may have learned this in his final two years at Marquette when he was the go to guy and the national college player of the year that carried his team to the Final Four. Donovan doesn’t come to the NBA with that same experience. Halfway thru his sophomore year he was benched. If he was the go to guy late in games in college it was only for the last month.
- Donovan’s drive is done with speed and long strides to get by his defender. He beats Josh Richardson on this drive. He just misses. I don’t believe he was fouled when I watch the replay. He is going super fast, he has made a great move to get by an elite defender. Then he goes right foot right handed layup sneaking around the defender. He has a really tough angle to the basket. Wade planted his left foot and went in high and hard right into Rudy Gobert. If you really push me I think both calls might have been right.
- Donovan is playing is his 100th nba game. This league is hard. He is going to learn and do these things differently as he develops. This is part of the learning process. He is not a ready made superstar, they don’t exist. LeBron wasn’t one, Durant wasn’t one, Steph wasn’t one. Donovan is awesome, but he still is taking in new experiences. The best part of the Donovan is his relentless desire to be great. As fans we need to let him go through the natural process of doing that.
- I thought the Jazz looked spent at about the 7 minute mark and am impressed they stayed with it to the end. Their shooting struggled in the 4th.
- Ricky Rubio had a great game tonight. 23 points, 5 rebounds and 6 assists on 9 of 13 shooting and played with amazing confidence. His last 11 games are really good.
- Looked to me as though the Jazz offense lost its rhythm in the 2nd quarter when they started to try to play with their new toy. They seemed so set on getting Korver looks that they stopped playing the way they had been earlier in the game.
- The consistently inconsistent Hassan Whiteside was great tonight. Whiteside who had not been good in 4 games had 23 points and 20 rebounds for Miami. In the 4 previous games Bam Adebayo had played more than the Whiteside.
- The one that should really upset the Jazz were the plays where they didn’t foul Whiteside hard enough he was able to finish the shot instead of free throws. He is a disaster at the free throw line and those points were the difference in the game.
- The 12 game “road” trip is over. The Jazz were 5-7. They need to start winning at home and get their defensive prowess back. Coming into the night 8 of the last 11 games the offensive rating was below 100. It is really hard to win if you are below 100. Tonight the Jazz came in around 102. The offense may be more important than the defense getting going.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022