SUMMARY: The Utah Jazz got out played by the Memphis Grizzlies and lose in Memphis 114-104
• The Jazz lead in this game 9-8 and that was it. Memphis controlled the whole game on both ends of the floor and the Jazz never threatened to take over the game. The Jazz had the game down to 4 at one point late in the 3rd but Memphis went on a run to make it a double digit game early in the 4th.
• Memphis played with a ton of energy and commitment to what they were doing. Defensively, they were locked in on the Jazz ball handlers and ride them in a manner where the Jazz ball handlers couldn’t get the defender into the screen by Gobert or Favors and so no pick and roll action would work
• The Jazz took their first 11 shots from three. In this span the Jazz may have only had the ball in the paint on one occasion.
• The Jazz only took 8 shots at the rim in the first half of the game.
• The Grizzlies were blowing up the picks and then not allowing the roll man to get to the basket freely so as the game went on the Jazz were able to kick out to open three point shooters. In addition, the Jazz changed how they were playing offensively because of their inability to get in a pick and roll game and went with more off ball screens to create the advantage.
• The Memphis defense wasn’t a big surprise they are the #2 defensive since the trade deadline
• The surprise was the Jazz inability to stop Memphis. Memphis is 30th in the league offensively and 29th in the league offensively since the trade deadline. They finished the night with an offensive rating near 120. This is one of the worst defensive performances the Jazz have had. Jonas Valenciunas dominated inside with his post game. Mike Conley and Ivan Rabb had a pick and roll game that riddled the Jazz and in the 4th quarter Mike Conley calmed everything down and took over.
• Mike Conley had 28 points and 11 assists. Jonas had 27 points and 7 rebounds.
• The Jazz Wasatch front that has been so dominant got outdone tonight by Jonas, Joaquim Noah and Ivan Rabb.
• Donovan finished with 38 points. 19 of the 38 were in the 4th quarter
• Kyle Korver played 30 minutes again. It is a bit unnerving that this team needs a 37 year old Kyle Korver for 30 plus minutes a night.
• Jazz were 1 of 10 on mid range shots and 16 of 24 at the rim.
• Memphis has won 3 of 4 with wins over Portland and Utah.
• For the first time in a while it might be worth a peak over our shoulder as Los Angeles Clippers and San Antonio Spurs aren’t far behind. Not great from a standings point of view to lose the season series to Memphis.
LOCKED ON JAZZ -Facebook Live – Gobert at super max, what does he need to improve and your questions
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider, David Locke, does a live Facebook show with a lot of questions about Rudy Gobert and the super max as well as free agent options. How does the Mike Conley trade happen?
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jae Crowder deep dive and David James joins for more Utah Jazz off-season
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke takes a look at Jae Crowder and his season with the Jazz. Then David James, of 1280 the zone and 97.5 FM joins the show to talk more about the off season and where the Jazz are headed
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Is it Jae Crowder or a stretch 4? David James joins Locke to talk Utah Jazz off-season
The Utah Jazz numbers with Jae Crowder on the floor are awesome. Jae Crowder has the vigor, heart and gumption to lead the Jazz. Is he the reason for those positive numbers or is it simply the Jazz playing a stretch 4? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider takes a look at all the stretch 4 combinations the Jazz have used over the last three years.
Then Locke is joined by morning show host of the Utah Jazz flagship station, 97.5 FM, David James to talk about the Utah Jazz off-season.
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Lindsey/Zanik Promotions, Does CJ mean Kemba would work with Donovan and does Harris stay for that role
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Lottery impact on Mike Conley and Jrue Holliday, the Point Guard Shuffle and Derrick Favors contract details
Utah Jazz5 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Tony Jones joins on Kemba or Tobias plus Kyle Korver season in review
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Live show with questions on free agency, trades and the draft