SUMMARY: The Utah Jazz got out played by the Memphis Grizzlies and lose in Memphis 114-104
• The Jazz lead in this game 9-8 and that was it. Memphis controlled the whole game on both ends of the floor and the Jazz never threatened to take over the game. The Jazz had the game down to 4 at one point late in the 3rd but Memphis went on a run to make it a double digit game early in the 4th.
• Memphis played with a ton of energy and commitment to what they were doing. Defensively, they were locked in on the Jazz ball handlers and ride them in a manner where the Jazz ball handlers couldn’t get the defender into the screen by Gobert or Favors and so no pick and roll action would work
• The Jazz took their first 11 shots from three. In this span the Jazz may have only had the ball in the paint on one occasion.
• The Jazz only took 8 shots at the rim in the first half of the game.
• The Grizzlies were blowing up the picks and then not allowing the roll man to get to the basket freely so as the game went on the Jazz were able to kick out to open three point shooters. In addition, the Jazz changed how they were playing offensively because of their inability to get in a pick and roll game and went with more off ball screens to create the advantage.
• The Memphis defense wasn’t a big surprise they are the #2 defensive since the trade deadline
• The surprise was the Jazz inability to stop Memphis. Memphis is 30th in the league offensively and 29th in the league offensively since the trade deadline. They finished the night with an offensive rating near 120. This is one of the worst defensive performances the Jazz have had. Jonas Valenciunas dominated inside with his post game. Mike Conley and Ivan Rabb had a pick and roll game that riddled the Jazz and in the 4th quarter Mike Conley calmed everything down and took over.
• Mike Conley had 28 points and 11 assists. Jonas had 27 points and 7 rebounds.
• The Jazz Wasatch front that has been so dominant got outdone tonight by Jonas, Joaquim Noah and Ivan Rabb.
• Donovan finished with 38 points. 19 of the 38 were in the 4th quarter
• Kyle Korver played 30 minutes again. It is a bit unnerving that this team needs a 37 year old Kyle Korver for 30 plus minutes a night.
• Jazz were 1 of 10 on mid range shots and 16 of 24 at the rim.
• Memphis has won 3 of 4 with wins over Portland and Utah.
• For the first time in a while it might be worth a peak over our shoulder as Los Angeles Clippers and San Antonio Spurs aren’t far behind. Not great from a standings point of view to lose the season series to Memphis.
Wackiness in the West, reminder on how good Mike Conley has been and who is the best offensive player in the NBA
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider delivers the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz.
* The wackiness in the West and how it all stands as we head into the final weekend
- Mike Conley returns and the great season he has had for the Utah Jazz
- The lineups we get back with Mike Conley
- the pick and roll returns with Rudy Gobert
- Points Gained for the final time of the year. Who is the best offensive player in the NBA?
- How are the Jazz players the same or different than a year ago
Staying above water has been amazing but Jazz are running out of steam and live audience
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, brings you the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz
- Blazers had a great game plan v. the Utah Jazz
- Jazz are amazing to have stayed above water without Donovan and Mike
- However, Jazz are wearing out and a lot is being asked of Joe Ingles and Jordan Clarkson
- Warriors and Blazers were playing playoff games and it showed
- Biggest concern on the Jazz
- Completely freaking out.
Jazz Game Rewind – Jazz offense sluggish as they fall to Blazers
The Utah Jazz fall short to the Portland Blazers, 105-98, as the offense struggled to get into a rhythm while still missing their two All-stars. For a recap of tonight’s action, tune into this edition of Jazz Game Rewind!
- Wackiness in the West, reminder on how good Mike Conley has been and who is the best offensive player in the NBA May 14, 2021
- Staying above water has been amazing but Jazz are running out of steam and live audience May 13, 2021
- Jazz Game Rewind – Jazz offense sluggish as they fall to Blazers May 13, 2021
- POSTCAST – Jazz offense wears down and Dame and CJ have the answers May 13, 2021
- Quin Snyder Coaches Show – Quin on Gobert and guarding Lillard May 12, 2021
Utah Jazz7 days ago
POSTCAST – Utah Jazz get massive win over Denver Nuggets and bodacious performance from Bojan
Utah Jazz1 week ago
Bojan Bogdanovic taking advantage, Quin figuring this group out, shot charts
Utah Jazz1 week ago
What former Utah Jazz player not named Stockton or Malone would you put on this Jazz team?
Utah Jazz1 week ago
Length has been impressive defensively, transition defense improvement, live edition