SUMMARY: On an emotional day the Jazz control the 2nd half to dominate the Hawks on their way to their 30th win of the season
- This was quite a day with the Rudy Gobert all-star snub and then the emotional shoot around press event. It took the Jazz a while to get rolling but when they did it was a dominating 2nd half that lead to the win.
- The Hawks play a unique game. They have good offensive players. They play fast. They catch you by surprise a bit and if they are making shots they can get you. They came in having won 10 of their last 20 with wins over the Clippers, 76ers and the Thunder.
- The Jazz adjusted in the 2nd half to who the Hawks are and how they play and outscored the Hawks 70-50.
- A lot of it was the Jazz started making shots. The Jazz were just 6 of 23 in the first half from three but finished the game 6 of 12 in the 2nd The Jazz took a remarkable amount of corner 3s. 18 tonight. 18 corner threes in this game is one of the highest outputs of any team all season.
- The Jazz held the Hawks to just 29% of their shots at the rim and that was a large increase from what it was earlier in the game.
- Joe Ingles started fast with 10 first quarter points and finished the night with 19 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists. Plus a very sore hip. He has put together numerous solid games in a row for the Jazz.
- Rudy Gobert got in foul trouble in the first quarter and had a non-descript first half. After the break he was terrific. Matching a season high with 25 points and also grabbing 13 rebounds. His efficiency was amazing. Gobert took 7 shots and made all 7 on his way to the 25 points.
- The Hawks are a fun young team. Trae Young looks like a really nice NBA player. He knows how to play with his size. He is really strong and he gets passes to tough places and his shooting is going to improve. His floater is nice weapon if he shoots it as well as he has all year
- Kevin Huerter is another really nice player. Wow can he shoot it. He is somewhere between Klay Thompson and Kyle Korver. He is not quite the defensive player that Thompson is, but he is much younger.
- John Collins puts up great numbers and is a super rim finisher. Amazingly good at the rim plus he hits on 38 percent of his three point shots. I wonder how he is going to be defensively in the long run and how his dribble game.
- The Jazz did what they should against a young team. They played the game and when they realized it was going to take a bit more focus to beat them they did exactly that. It was not a game that too a lot of juice out of the Jazz. It is why playing the lesser teams is really important and the Jazz have only lost one game against those teams it was in Mexico City.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – President’s Weekend Edition – Where the West Stands, Jazz rotations and more plus Points Gained
The All-Star break is here and David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider has what to look for in the 2nd half of the season in the Western Conference teams and their schedule.
Then Locke takes your questions largely about rotations and combinations that the Utah Jazz are playing or could play. Then it is time for Points Gained.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Warriors recap, guys stepping up and where the Utah Jazz stand at the break
The Utah Jazz played their final game prior to the All-Star break and lost to the Golden State Warriors. The Jazz showed a lot of fight and grit. Two players in particular continue to be superb.
The Warriors also showed the World Champion approach and got brilliant stretches from Draymond Green and Steph Curry.
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, takes a look at where the Jazz stand as we hit the all-star break and what they have ahead.
POSTCAST – Jazz show grit Warriors show World Champ chops
Utah Jazz radio post game show about the Utah Jazz battle with the Golden State Warriors
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Impact of the Tobias Harris deal, rumors and Utah Jazz decisions
Utah Jazz1 week ago
EMPTYING THE NOGGIN – Jazz buck the Spurs in a blow out win
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Korver impact v. best teams. Two most interesting trade discussions and Time Machine Tuesday
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – A Trade-less deadline for the Utah Jazz