EMPTYING THE NOGGIN Gobert makes two incredible defensive plays leading Jazz to overtime win
EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
Summary: A 10-1 rally to close the 4th quarter forces overtime and the Utah Jazz get the shots to fall in OT on way to a 98-95
• Lots of big plays down the stretch to walk thru tonight to tell the story of the Jazz win.
• The biggest was an incredible in-bound play down 2 with 8 seconds left. The Jazz in bounding from the right side of the basket were able to get a pass in to Joe Ingles under the rim and he laid it up and in. Stunning play.
• Now with the game tied the Pistons ran a play to get Luke Kennard a three. Was this Stan Van Gundy hoping to get one up on Donovan Mitchell, no but from Pistons stand point a Luke Kennard game winner would have been pretty sweet. It was a great play and Andre Drummond set a mammoth pick hip checking Ricky Rubio into another zip code to free Kennard. Rudy Gobert reads it perfectly and makes a great effort to impact the shot of Kennard and forces a miss.
• Gobert does this again on the final play of the game. With the Jazz up 3 in overtime. The Pistons ran a great play. They sent Kennard around Andre Drummond to set a pick on Tobias Harris. The impact is that Donovan Mitchell who is guarding Kennard is now picked by Drummond as he tries to switch onto Harris and Harris is running free to the corner to tie the game. Gobert is playing center field and reads that Drummond has picked off Mitchell and makes an incredible effort jumping off one leg to alter the shot and force a game tying miss.
• These are big time efforts. These are what has to happen to win.
• The Jazz went on a 10-1 run to close the 4th quarter to force overtime. Jazz trailed 88-79 with 3:17 left when Tobias Harris hit a three. Gobert hit a shot and then Avery Bradley missed a three that probably would have ended the game. If you go down 10 with 2:41 left the math is wrong. The Pistons offense became awful. Ish Smith and Stanley Johnson missed on the next three attempts and the Jazz had a chance to get back in the game and did on the Joe Ingles layup to force overtime.
• Jazz held the Pistons to 34% shooting and 3 of 15 from three in the 2nd half. The Pistons are the 3rd best three point shooting team in the NBA.
• Joe Johnson was +11 in the 2nd half and 4 of 5 from the field.
• Donovan Mitchell had a really tough 2nd half with a 1 for 9 with 3 turnovers, including a big turnover in the 4th quarter where Andre Drummond stripped him and took in the length of the floor for a dunk.
• In Overtime the Jazz made shots. Joe Ingles hit two threes to open the overtime and Mitchell hit a catch and shoot three to put the Jazz up 7 with 3:03 left. However, it still took the great play by Rudy to seal the game.
• Donovan is shooting 27% on off the bounce threes since Jan 1st. For the season, he is catch and shoot 41% from three.
• Ricky Rubio had his fourth double double of the season and three are points and rebounds. His passion was terrific. He plays hard every night and he plays with great intentions. He got blasted by Anthony Tolliver (unintentionally) and got a significant cut over the eye. He got it glued and returned for the key moments of the game. Not sure the Jazz win without him tonight.
• Jazz played their 12th game without Rodney Hood, they are 7-5. This was the first below .500 team of the 7 wins.
• Solid win. Lots of things went wrong. Andre Drummond was incredible. He was great. Totally dominate in this game in every aspect. His line of 30 points, 24 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals and 6 blocks has never been done before. He played with an incredible effort all night and may have proved his point about being an all-star snub.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022