SUMMARY: Bucks pull away in the 4th quarter to win a terrific game in the new Fiserv Forum
• This was a great game. Super game plans from both sides. Great play from stellar players. Closely fought. Each team trying to exploit the other. Super effort on both sides. Stars going head to head. A great game all the way around other than the outcome.
• The Jazz came out with Rudy Gobert guarding Giannis Antetokounmpo. But guarding him only in the paint. When Giannis was outside the three point line Rudy stayed in the paint with both feet planted in the green. When Giannis came at him he absorbed him and made him shot over his verticality. We never saw a Giannis Euro Step. He didn’t make a shot outside 5 feet all game and it took him 30 shots to score 30 points. Rudy did an exceptional job with this assignment. Giannis got nothing easy. He was able to get the basket on a few occassions but many of his 13 field goals came off action that was not driving at Rudy, but instead was transition, offensive rebounds, pass offs, etc
• As the night went on the Bucks made adjustments to deal with this defense. They set a back pick on Gobert with the point guard leaving Neto as the man who had to try to slow Giannis before he got to Gobert. They increased the amount of pick and roll they were running forcing Rudy to deal with the ball handler a bit rather than Giannis one on one. These adjustments had a bit more success.
• The Bucks got great performances from Malcolm Brogdon and Thon Maker and that is what they had to have with Rudy Gobert causing Giannis to have an uncomfortable game. Maker hit 2 threes and made some really nice plays around the basket and Brogdon was able to go 1 on 1 on Jazz defenders and get to the basket.
• The Bucks don’t run a lot of offense. They space the floor and they penetrate to the rim or pass out to shooters. The Jazz weren’t able to keep them off the rim but they greatly reduced the amount of three point shots they attempted.
• Ricky Rubio came out slashing from the wings and exploiting the Bucks defense that was sagging off of him. He scored 9 points and assisted on the Jazz other points. Then he hurt his hamstring with 7:35 left in the 1st quarter.
• The Jazz were seriously short handed at this point. No Rubio. No Dante Exum and No Thabo Sefolosha left the Jazz missing about 60 minutes of rotation players on a night when they were playing 3 games in 4 nights. The Jazz were certainly not as sharp in the 4th, but the Bucks are really good as well so hard to tell how much it changed the outcome.
• The Jazz had the ball popping tonight. In the first half the Jazz were hitting the Bucks with multiple actions, moving the ball, taking advantage of their over shits and getting great look threes. Then the threes stopped falling and the Bucks hung onto shooters a bit more. Then for a sequence of the 4th quarter the Jazz lost the ball movement and got caught in the mid range against the Bucks sagging defense and the Bucks took advantage to jump to 9 point lead.
• Raul Neto played 29 really solid minutes.
• Joe Ingles has missed 10 straight above the break 3 point shots and is 8 of his last 44 on above the break threes. I don’t know if he is hurt other than the fingers on his right hand which are still clearly giving him a lot of pain. Joe would never let you know if he is hurt since he simply battles every night.
• The game had 24 lead changes and 10 ties. 23 of those lead changes and 9 ties all happened in the first 3 quarters.
• 2-2 trip. Jazz are home for 4 and it is time to get on a roll
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Donovan Mitchell on off court legacy, on court development and this year’s Jazz. Craig Bolerjack kicks off preview series
Donovan Mitchell signed his extension and then discussed what he will do with his new found wealth, how his off court legacy is what matters most to him, how is game changed in the bubble and how this year’s group will need to integrate. Then David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, sits down the with voice of the Utah Jazz Craig Bolerjack to discuss the upcoming season and Donovan Mitchell’s development.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Creating the Jazz rotation for the upcoming season and winners and losers of free agency
David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider was very surprised by the structure of the schedule and he talks about why. The Utah Jazz will allow fans in the stands on a limited basis. Locke looks into the rotation of the Utah Jazz and how to put together all of this talent and finally who were the winners and losers of Free Agency.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dark Mode, Western Conference Over Unders where do Utah Jazz sit?
The Utah Jazz revealed dark mode and it was kinda awesome. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider makes his case for a color change for the Utah Jazz. Then he looks at the Western Conference over unders and where the Jazz and the rest of the West sit. Plus, a quick look at the Utah Jazz rotation for the upcoming season.
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Donovan Mitchell on off court legacy, on court development and this year’s Jazz. Craig Bolerjack kicks off preview series November 30, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Creating the Jazz rotation for the upcoming season and winners and losers of free agency November 25, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dark Mode, Western Conference Over Unders where do Utah Jazz sit? November 24, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Mitchell re-signs rookie extension, Favors returns to Utah, Clarkson comes back to lead the Bench November 23, 2020
- BREAKING LOCKED ON JAZZ- The Utah Jazz have signed Derrick Favors and re-signed Jordan Clarkson November 20, 2020
Utah Jazz1 week ago
BREAKING LOCKED ON JAZZ- The Utah Jazz have signed Derrick Favors and re-signed Jordan Clarkson
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Why did the Jazz go big? Who are Udoka Azubuike and Elijah Hughes?
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Mitchell re-signs rookie extension, Favors returns to Utah, Clarkson comes back to lead the Bench
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Free Agency Day. What can the Utah Jazz do? The 7 best listener trades