SUMMARY: Bucks pull away in the 4th quarter to win a terrific game in the new Fiserv Forum
• This was a great game. Super game plans from both sides. Great play from stellar players. Closely fought. Each team trying to exploit the other. Super effort on both sides. Stars going head to head. A great game all the way around other than the outcome.
• The Jazz came out with Rudy Gobert guarding Giannis Antetokounmpo. But guarding him only in the paint. When Giannis was outside the three point line Rudy stayed in the paint with both feet planted in the green. When Giannis came at him he absorbed him and made him shot over his verticality. We never saw a Giannis Euro Step. He didn’t make a shot outside 5 feet all game and it took him 30 shots to score 30 points. Rudy did an exceptional job with this assignment. Giannis got nothing easy. He was able to get the basket on a few occassions but many of his 13 field goals came off action that was not driving at Rudy, but instead was transition, offensive rebounds, pass offs, etc
• As the night went on the Bucks made adjustments to deal with this defense. They set a back pick on Gobert with the point guard leaving Neto as the man who had to try to slow Giannis before he got to Gobert. They increased the amount of pick and roll they were running forcing Rudy to deal with the ball handler a bit rather than Giannis one on one. These adjustments had a bit more success.
• The Bucks got great performances from Malcolm Brogdon and Thon Maker and that is what they had to have with Rudy Gobert causing Giannis to have an uncomfortable game. Maker hit 2 threes and made some really nice plays around the basket and Brogdon was able to go 1 on 1 on Jazz defenders and get to the basket.
• The Bucks don’t run a lot of offense. They space the floor and they penetrate to the rim or pass out to shooters. The Jazz weren’t able to keep them off the rim but they greatly reduced the amount of three point shots they attempted.
• Ricky Rubio came out slashing from the wings and exploiting the Bucks defense that was sagging off of him. He scored 9 points and assisted on the Jazz other points. Then he hurt his hamstring with 7:35 left in the 1st quarter.
• The Jazz were seriously short handed at this point. No Rubio. No Dante Exum and No Thabo Sefolosha left the Jazz missing about 60 minutes of rotation players on a night when they were playing 3 games in 4 nights. The Jazz were certainly not as sharp in the 4th, but the Bucks are really good as well so hard to tell how much it changed the outcome.
• The Jazz had the ball popping tonight. In the first half the Jazz were hitting the Bucks with multiple actions, moving the ball, taking advantage of their over shits and getting great look threes. Then the threes stopped falling and the Bucks hung onto shooters a bit more. Then for a sequence of the 4th quarter the Jazz lost the ball movement and got caught in the mid range against the Bucks sagging defense and the Bucks took advantage to jump to 9 point lead.
• Raul Neto played 29 really solid minutes.
• Joe Ingles has missed 10 straight above the break 3 point shots and is 8 of his last 44 on above the break threes. I don’t know if he is hurt other than the fingers on his right hand which are still clearly giving him a lot of pain. Joe would never let you know if he is hurt since he simply battles every night.
• The game had 24 lead changes and 10 ties. 23 of those lead changes and 9 ties all happened in the first 3 quarters.
• 2-2 trip. Jazz are home for 4 and it is time to get on a roll
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Defense is rolling, weekend in review and Bradley Beal breakdown
The Utah Jazz took care of business this weekend and now head out on a crucial east coast road trip. David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, takes a look at the playoff picture and how it is all playing out plus the Jazz stellar defense against the Brooklyn Nets.
Then Locke breaks down Bradley Beal and how the Jazz have to defend him and what it takes to deal with him. Most importantly, how can Rudy Gobert impact his game.
POSTCAST – Locke and Boone after blow out win and look to the road trip
Utah Jazz radio team post game show after the Utah Jazz blow out the Brooklyn Nets
EMPTYING THE NOGGIN – Jazz dominate Nets from early run to the finish
SUMMARY: The Jazz go a 27 to 2 run from the first quarter to the second and blow out the Brooklyn Nets on their way to a 114-98 win.
- Rudy Gobert was a dominating defensive force tonight that ruined the rhythm of both D’Angleo Russell and Caris LeVert. Gobert’s length has such an impact on the opponents shot selection that players get uncomfortable because they are not talking their normal looks. The Jazz defense has held 7 of the last 10 opponents to under a point a possession
- This game was interesting because both the Nets and Jazz play an analytics heavy game. The Jazz take the 6th most amount of shots at the rim and the 6th most amount of threes for the 4th most amount of “smart” shots at 76% The Nets take the 12th most amount of shots at the rim and the 4th most amount of 3s for the 5th most amount of smart shots at 75%. Now that is fine expect that both teams defensively take the same approach and deny these shots. The Jazz rank 1st at 62.5% and the Nets rank 2nd at 64% at allowing fewest amount of smart shots. So what happens?
- The defenses won out. The Jazz took 29% of their shots as mid range shots compared the their usual 24% and the Nets shot an unreal 40% of their shots as mid range shots compared to their 25%. Moreover, neither team shot them very well. The Jazz were 8 of 29 and the Nets were 9 of 39. At one point in the game the Nets were 4 of 22 on paint non restricted area shots.
- D’Angle Russell had a miserable night. He finished 2 of 11 on mid range shots.
- Derrick Favors had a sequence of the game when he was so much bigger and stronger than any of the Nets they couldn’t get a rebound. The Nets were trying to play zone and had to bail out of the zone because Favors was too much of a force on the boards
- The Jazz bigs killed the Nets. Rudy Gobert had 23 points and 17 rebounds as well as 3 blocks and Derrick Favors had 13 points, 12 rebounds and 3 blocks.
- The Jazz were able to get off 13 corner 3 attempts which is a lot and a ton when you consider who they were playing. The Jazz are averaging well over 10 corner 3 attempts for the last 10 games.
- Donovan notched another 20 point game. He has had 20 in 28 of his last 30 games
- 13 three pointers for the Jazz. 12 seems to be the magic number for wins
- Solid win now onto the East for a 4 game trip of huge importance.
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
EMPTYING THE NOGGIN – Felt the same till Rudy Gobert came out of the sky
Utah Jazz6 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – It is our responsibility now
Utah Jazz4 days ago
EMPTYING THE NOGGIN – No one wins when respect goes away
Utah Jazz2 days ago
EMPTYING THE NOGGIN – Jazz dominate Nets from early run to the finish