SUMMARY: The Atlanta Hawks end the Jazz 5 game win streak with a three point barrage
- The Hawks closed the game on a 18 to 6 run to comeback and beat the Jazz. The final stretch for the Jazz they couldn’t get the stops they needed or were they able to swing the momentum of the game
- The Jazz trailed by 1 after 1 and then trailed by 11 at the half but were brilliant in the 3rd quarter and swung the game to a 5 points 91-86 lead heading to the 4th However, the Hawks re-gained control of the game in the 4th quarter and the Jazz fell.
- Donovan Mitchell who was brilliant in the third quarter with 12 points was just 3 for 11 in the 4th quarter without a free throw attempt. Jae Crowder had two great looks in the clutch from three but wasn’t able to make either of them and is now 2 for 13 in the clutch from three. The Jazz came in the 3rd best offense in the clutch but it is largely based on getting to the line and they weren’t able to get those free throw attempts.
- The big story of the night is the Hawks 40 three point attempts. The Jazz are the #1 team in the NBA at denying the three point shot but not against the Hawks. In the first match up the Hawks took 48 three point attempts and tonight they had 40. They got hot and hit 19 of them. Kent Bazemore who had hit on 22% the last 5 games was 4 for 6
- How did the Hawks get the threes. 8 of them were assisted by Trae Young. Young gets into the paint because the Jazz are trailing him off the pick and forcing him off the three point line. The defender is now playing him from the trail position and he is going at Gobert and Rudy is occupied. With Dewayne Dedmon and Alex Len and John Collins the Hawks have bigs that will shoot the three. Dedmon had three of those assists for three and Collins had another.
- Then the Hawks were very willing to pull for three in transition in early offense. Kevin Huerter is a tremendous young player and Kent Bazemore got hot.
- The Hawks beat the Jazz at the things the Jazz are good at. The Jazz are the #1 team in the NBA at not allowing you into transition and the Hawks had a high transition rate and the Jazz are the #1 team at denying the three and the Hawks had 40 attempts.
- The Jazz got in transition offensively and had success.
- Jae Crowder and Kyle Korver who have been vital for the Jazz off the bench combined to go 1 for 10 from three.
- Dropping big teams have been hard for the Jazz to attack and particularly Donovan. The Jazz are much improved this year at that attack.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday
The Utah Jazz used offensive rebounding to beat the Orlando Magic. The increase in offensive rebounding is a league wide trend due to analytics. Mike Conley and Derrick Favors had interesting comments about playing in Utah in the Athletic article. It is a trend Monday as well.
Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show
If you missed tonight action, I’ll get you caught up in this edition of Jazz Game Rewind! The Utah Jazz struggled in the 1st half, but found their groove in the 2nd, as Donovan Mitchell dropped 25 second half points to lead Utah to a 124-109 victory
POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic
David Locke hosts POSTCAST after each Jazz game tonight the Jazz beat the Magic with thrid quarter surge and Donovan Mitchell commanding 2nd half play.
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday March 1, 2021
- Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show February 27, 2021
- POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic February 27, 2021
- Quin Snyder Coaches Show – Jazz @ Magic February 27, 2021
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Heat Get The Best Of The Jazz The Second Time Around February 26, 2021
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Did Clippers write defensive script? Can Rudy Gobert be more dominant? Cord cutting and buy out market for the Utah Jazz
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dwayne Wade has Donovan Mitchell as All-Star Starter, Previewing the Clippers, Quin Snyder Wednesday
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jordan Clarkson’s vibe and history, Donovan Mitchell’s pass is the fabric of the team
Utah Jazz4 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – More record setting v. Los Angeles Lakers. Utah Jazz shot clock use tells a story