EMPTYING THE NOGGIN – How the Celtics messed up Jazz offense late and what happened on D
Summary: The Boston Celtics close on a 9-0 run as the Jazz go scoreless for the final 2:25 and lose for just the 2nd time this year at home when leading going to the 4th quarter.
• Jaylen Brown hit a three with .3 seconds left to give the Celtics the win. Shane Larkin drove right into the paint and Joe Ingles and Rudy Gobert stepped over to help Ricky Rubio. Larkin threw the pass back to Semi Ojeleye who was originally guarded by Gobert and as the pass went back to Ojeleye Brown re-spaced to above the three point line and Ingles and Rubio had collided at this point and there was no one close. He nailed the shot. The Celtics win
• The Celtics did a lot of interesting things defensively late in the game. I will need to re-watch but I believe they went to a zone for one possession. Donovan Mitchell was coming off the pick and roll and getting Greg Monroe involved and scoring on him so the Celtics moved Shane Larkin off Ricky Rubio and placed him on the left side of the screen so that Mitchell would drive right into Larkin.
• The first possession they did this Mitchell hit Ricky Rubio for a wide open 16 footer and he short armed it. Rubio finished the night 4 of 14. I believe he missed 6 of his last 7. The next possession Donovan tried to go away from Larkin to the short side of the floor and Brown came off the corner to knock his dribble away and forced a turnover. On the next possession I believe they may have gone to a zone and Donovan missed a 12 foot floater which is a tough shot.
• When the game was tied with :45 left the Jazz had a possession and Mitchell moved the ball to Crowder and Ingles and neither could get free and it forced Crowder into a contested three.
• The Jazz allowed 30 4th quarter points
• When the Jazz play Crowder and Ingles with Gobert they really need to get some rebounding. With 1:36 left Tatum missed a three where Gobert was the man who closed and without Gobert in the paint Larkin and Monroe both got offensive rebounds. With 4:35 left they got another 2nd chance that lead to another two points
• Terry Rozier hit three straight threes in the 4th quarter that turned the game from a Jazz control to a possessions by possession game down the stretch.
• Boston points down the stretch came as follows A Rozier layup 9 seconds after a Donovan layup going right back up the floor, a Greg Monroe hook shot, two free throws off an offensive rebound, a fast break off a Mitchell turnover for a Tatum dunk and then the final game winner.
• The Jazz missed their first 12 above the break 3s tonight and didn’t make one in the first half. They finished the night 3 of 21 on above the break three point shots.
• The Jazz kept running a great play that freed Joe Ingles for three off a Rudy Gobert pass and Ingles would catch and shoot off the pick on a nice skip pass. Joe just didn’t hit the shots tonight.
• The Celtics left Ricky Rubio a lot of room to shoot and he finished 4 of 14.
• The Celtics physical defense early in the game dislodged the Jazz from their regular offensive rhythm. Then the Celtics went to a zone for a while and the Jazz went 1 for 7 in the third quarter against the zone and the one was a early offense
• Dante Exum’s first stint was a tough one so Quin played him with Rubio in the 2nd stint and was terrific, cutting without the ball and forcing the action at the rim. He let Rozier get free for one or two of this threes that swung the game back to a possession by possession game.
• Donovan Mitchell was 1 of 6 in the mid range tonight
• This is a tough loss. Celtics still have loads of talent with Rozier, Tatum and Brown but the Jazz need wins to get into the playoffs and this is one they needed to get.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022