SUMMARY: Jusuf Nurkic and the Blazers slice the Jazz apart in the third quarter and move onto a big Western Conference win on the road over the Utah Jazz.
• This was a big game. Jazz were looking to win the season series. Blazers had lost 9 of 12 on the road but had won 8 of 11 overall. The Jazz had won 6 straight. Last year the two teams played on the 82nd game of the season to determine who won the division. Tonight was the battle you would have anticipated.
• Through the 4th quarter the game had 13 lead changes and 12 ties and looked to be going down to the wire in a possession by possession battle but the Blazers went on a 23-8 run from the 10:38 mark in the 4th to the 2:45 in the 4th quarter.
• Game was tied at 89 then the Blazers got a three from Leonard, two more baskets and another three from Leonard as the Blazers went on a 10-2 run. The Jazz only points were Favors free throws. Rubio checked out of the game 89-86 as he hit his minutes restriction.
• Donovan missed his first 6 shots of the 4th quarter though he was able to get to the line three times in that stretch. Four of the misses were short mid range shots from 4 to 8 feet where the Blazers cut off the driving lane and forced Donovan into the floater range. Those are low percentage hard shots. Donovan got rolling after that scoring the next 14 points for the Jazz, but the time he got it going the Jazz were down 11 with 5:00 left and you don’t win that very often.
• The Jazz whipped up on the Blazers in the first two games by a combined 51 points. The Blazers came out in third quarter with some nice aggressiveness and great adjustments to open the floor for cutters and back door cuts. Nurkic was able to make Rudy guard at 15 feet and this open up the curl routes and the cutters.
• The Jazz have defended Lillard well this year having Rudy come up to the point of the screen and make the three an uncomfortable shot. The Blazers in the first half had just a 94 offensive rating and were just 1 of 5 from three.
• In the second half they were able to adjust and get 7 threes in 13 attempts
• Terry Stotts, the Blazers head coach has great admiration for Joe Ingles. Tonight Joe was 1 for 7 and 0 for 3 from three. Was this because the Blazers tried to take Joe away or the Jazz were unable to move the ball tonight to give Ingles good looks I am not sure. The Blazers drop Nurkic on the pick and roll with the purpose of not leaving any of the three point shooters.
• Kyle Korver was 0 for 5 and Evan Turner was a hard defensive matchup for the Jazz to deal with tonight.
• Interesting Portland closed with Lillard, CJ, Turner, Layman and Nurkic. Blazers are now 29-0 when they lead going into the 4th quarter.
• Ricky Rubio returned tonight and with a mintues restriction played 13 minutes while adding 12 points. He had 4 turnovers and the Jazz were +1 in his 13 minutes.
• Jazz shot 39.6% and 21.2% from three
• Jazz allowed 39 points in the 3rd quarter. Nurkic dominated the 3rd quarter after going 2 for 8 in the first half. He was 6 for 7 in the 3rd quarter with 17 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 4 blocks in the quarter
• Lillard closed the door on the game 8 points on 3 of 8 shooting in the 4th quarter
• This is a big win for the Blazers who had been struggling on the road v. the West and a tough loss for the Jazz who start a crucial stretch of 5 games v. Western Conference foes that will determine where they stand heading into the February and the final part of the season.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022