SUMMARY: The Jazz offensive collapse leads to blowout loss to the Houston Rockets 125-99
- James Harden will get most of the talk and fans will likely talk about the calls or lack thereof. However, the game changed with the Jazz inability to penetrate the Rockets defensive system.
- The Jazz lead the game 42-39 with 7:10 left in the 2nd At this point the game was very high paced and neither team had clicked in offensively. The teams were both shooting below 40%. Then the Jazz cracked defensively and Harden took over the final portion of the 2nd quarter. By halftime the Rockets were ahead 65-50 closing on a 16 to 8 run.
- The open of the third quarter was no better and before everyone was back from getting their halftime refreshments the run was a 16 to 2 run to start the 3rd quarter and it was a 32-10 run since the Jazz lead the game 42-39.
- Harden was terrific and is simply unguardable but the issue for Utah was their inability to penetrate the defensive switching of the Rockets. The Rockets would switch and the Jazz offense would look like it was in retreat. They were able to slip the picks, turn the corner or attack downhill.
- The Jazz play the least amount of isolation of any team in the NBA. The Rockets switching defense forces teams into the most isolation of any team in the NBA. This is not a strength for the Jazz.
- In reaction, to the struggles against the Rockets in the half court the Jazz pushed the tempo and started playing out of character. The Jazz are 29th in the NBA offensively from 22 to 18 on the shot clock. It is just not something the team does very well. It made sense to try it tonight but it wasn’t something the Jazz were able to do well.
- Harden is impossible to guard. Every team has a different approach and for 26 straight games the same result has taken place he scores over 30 points. He is difficult to officiate as well, but to minimize his game to be about the officials is to completely miss the point of his game. The Jazz were committed to taking away his step back three and committed to make him drive to his right. Yet, when he was able to get to his right and get into the paint he wrecked havoc on the Jazz defensively.
- Rather than having a pick and roll with Capela, the Rockets used Faried stationed on the baseline and then when Rudy left him it was a drop off and a dunk from Harden. In addition, when the Jazz brought the third guy to defend the Rockets got the Jazz into rotation defensively.
- However, with all this Rockets offensive talk the real issue was the Jazz inability to get into the paint to start their offense and break down the Rockets defense. The Jazz final shooting percentage of 36% was their high of the night and was inflated. The Jazz spent most of the game in the 30% range.
- The Jazz offense was in the 4th percentile of all performances and their halfcourt pts per play was 60.9 according to cleaning the glass the lowest of any team in the NBA.
- What I am trying to say is every time you start talking about Harden and move the conversation back to the Jazz offense and try to figure out what the Jazz need to do offensively against the Rockets. A Rockets team who in the last 10 games was 29th defensively and 27th defensively for the season.
- Jazz slip to 10-17 against teams that are above .500 this season
- Rockets were +31 in Harden’s 40 minutes.
- Derrick Favors had 5 blocks tonight
JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Heat Get The Best Of The Jazz The Second Time Around
The Jazz headed back east to wrap up the first half of the schedule. Here is a recap of the first stop in Miami as they took on the Heat for the second time in as many weeks.
QUIN SNYDER COACHES SHOW- How Do Teams Try And Prep For Rudy Knowing How Dominant He Is
David Locke talks with Jazz Head Coach, Quin Snyder, about how teams prepare this season with the unique schedule and when you have a player as dominant as Rudy Gobert.
POSTCAST – The Butler did it in Miami as the Jazz fall to the Heat
The Utah Jazz fell on the first of a 4 game road trip as Jimmy Butler had a 32 point night for the Miami Heat. David Locke hosts POSTCAST with his breakdown of the game and then your comments and thoughts
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Heat Get The Best Of The Jazz The Second Time Around February 26, 2021
- QUIN SNYDER COACHES SHOW- How Do Teams Try And Prep For Rudy Knowing How Dominant He Is February 26, 2021
- POSTCAST – The Butler did it in Miami as the Jazz fall to the Heat February 26, 2021
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Utah Jazz v. the best and Jazz place in NBA history so far plus buyout market questions February 26, 2021
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – More record setting v. Los Angeles Lakers. Utah Jazz shot clock use tells a story February 25, 2021
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
POSTCAST – Passion filled POSTCAST about how brilliant the Utah Jazz have been this year
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Did Clippers write defensive script? Can Rudy Gobert be more dominant? Cord cutting and buy out market for the Utah Jazz
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dwayne Wade has Donovan Mitchell as All-Star Starter, Previewing the Clippers, Quin Snyder Wednesday
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jordan Clarkson’s vibe and history, Donovan Mitchell’s pass is the fabric of the team