SUMMARY: Jazz buck the Spurs off their rodeo road trip with a blowout 129-109 win
- This was a really strong performance from the Jazz. They executed at a very high level on both ends of the floor.
- Defensively the Jazz wanted to make sure they didn’t get into rotations from the actions of LaMarcus Aldridge and DeMar DeRozan. The Spurs are the #1 three point shooting team in the NBA and though they don’t shoot a lot of them they make them and that is what makes their offense successful. The jazz gave the Spurs very few open look threes in this game. The Spurs hit just 7 of 22 from three and took just 22 of their 89 shots from three.
- At halftime the Jazz had allowed the Spurs to take just 5 shots at the rim. Instead they had taken 24 mid range shots and 12 threes. That is a really hard way to live. As good as many believe Aldridge and DeRozan to be they both only shoot 41% on mid range shots so if you keep them off the line they are very inefficient players.
- Aldridge finished the game with just 4 free throw attempts and when he takes less than 8 free throws they are 19-22. Aldridge tonight was 5 of 16 shooting and had just 15 points.
- If you were wondering Rudy Gobert gad 21 points, 13 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 block shots and his team was +15 when he was on the floor.
- The Spurs rodeo road trip has become a disaster they are 0-4 and have allowed 125 points or more in every game.
- The Spurs started the night in a gimmick defense, playing a triangle and two face guarding both Donovan Mitchell and Joe Ingles. The Jazz subbed in Jae Crowder and Kyle Korver and the Spurs tried to stay in but it finally failed. The Jazz were getting wide open looks but weren’t able to convert for a bit and then it came together.
- Quin and the staff did some interesting things. They got the ball to Rudy in the middle of the triangle and let him make plays. They started playing pick and roll with Ricky Rubio in the middle of the floor creating a 3 on 3 and they began to score at will.
- The Spurs really dropped off Jae Crowder and Ricky Rubio tonight and as the game developed both of them took advantage.
- Royce O’Neale was vital off the bench. He played some more at the 4 tonight as he did v. the Suns. He went 4 for 4 from three and finished with 17 points.
- Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert both had double doubles.
- The Jazz win the season series from the Spurs and are in 6th in the West.
- The Spurs have the worst road record of the good team in the West and are now just 1.5 games ahead of the Kings for a playoff spot.
- Jazz have won 14 of 19.
QUIN SNYDER COACHES SHOW- Pregame prior to Utah @ OKC
David Locke chats with Jazz head coach Quin Snyder prior to tip against OKC.
Wackiness in the West, reminder on how good Mike Conley has been and who is the best offensive player in the NBA
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider delivers the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz.
* The wackiness in the West and how it all stands as we head into the final weekend
- Mike Conley returns and the great season he has had for the Utah Jazz
- The lineups we get back with Mike Conley
- the pick and roll returns with Rudy Gobert
- Points Gained for the final time of the year. Who is the best offensive player in the NBA?
- How are the Jazz players the same or different than a year ago
Staying above water has been amazing but Jazz are running out of steam and live audience
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, brings you the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz
- Blazers had a great game plan v. the Utah Jazz
- Jazz are amazing to have stayed above water without Donovan and Mike
- However, Jazz are wearing out and a lot is being asked of Joe Ingles and Jordan Clarkson
- Warriors and Blazers were playing playoff games and it showed
- Biggest concern on the Jazz
- Completely freaking out.
- QUIN SNYDER COACHES SHOW- Pregame prior to Utah @ OKC May 14, 2021
- Wackiness in the West, reminder on how good Mike Conley has been and who is the best offensive player in the NBA May 14, 2021
- Staying above water has been amazing but Jazz are running out of steam and live audience May 13, 2021
- Jazz Game Rewind – Jazz offense sluggish as they fall to Blazers May 13, 2021
- POSTCAST – Jazz offense wears down and Dame and CJ have the answers May 13, 2021
Utah Jazz7 days ago
POSTCAST – Utah Jazz get massive win over Denver Nuggets and bodacious performance from Bojan
Utah Jazz1 week ago
Bojan Bogdanovic taking advantage, Quin figuring this group out, shot charts
Utah Jazz1 week ago
What former Utah Jazz player not named Stockton or Malone would you put on this Jazz team?
Utah Jazz1 week ago
Length has been impressive defensively, transition defense improvement, live edition