Summary: Despite all indicators showing it would be nearly impossible the Utah Jazz go into Denver on the back end of a back to back and beat the Nuggets.
• This is an impressive win for the Utah Jazz. When the night started the Nuggets were the #1 team in the Western Conference. They had only lost 4 times all year at home and the teams on the road on a rest disadvantage were winning less than 30% of the time.
• However, the coaching staff and the players with the Utah Jazz have a wonderful synergy taking place. The coaches prepare remarkable game plans that go to minute details. The players are willing participants and they use a tremendous amount of mental energy to fulfill those plays. Then when it works the coaches work a little harder and the players listen a little more.
• Defensively the Jazz used the defensive player of the year to guard MVP candidate Nikola Jokic and not allow Denver to get catch and shoot three point shots. The Nuggets came into the game making 37% of catch and shoot 3s and only 30s of their threes off the dribble. Moreover, they have the 3rd highest rate of their threes being catch and shoot. So the Jazz single teamed Jokic and didn’t allow the Nuggets to get the rhythm catch and shoot threes. The Nuggets didn’t have a three in the first half of the game and finished with only 25 attempts for the game making 7.
• Jokic became undone in this game. Derrick Favors started on him and then Rudy Gobert switched onto him and Jokic got as frustrated as anyone in Denver had seen him all season. He committed back to back fouls out of frustration and was force to sit most of the game. To his credit and what an incredible talent he is despite having a miserable night he finished with 16 points, 13 rebounds and 7 assists to go with 5 turnovers.
• Offensively the Jazz took advantage of the over shifting Denver defense which allows the most corner 3s in the NBA to get 12 corner 3 looks and torch the Nuggets with Kyle Korver and Thabo Sefolosha.
• Thabo who is now 50% for the season from 3. He sparked the Jazz in the 2nd quarter after a first quarter where the Jazz struggled offensively but stayed in the game defensively.
• Donovan Mitchell hit a huge 3 at the buzzer at the end of the 3rd quarter the took the game from 8 back up to 11 and meant the Nuggets furious rally had only gained 4 points from the Jazz 15 points halftime lead.
• The Jazz held the Nuggets to a season low 2nd quarter points and first half points before the Nuggets scored 67 2nd half points got them back in the game. With the Jazz holding on shooters the Nuggets play a middle of the floor pick and roll game and attacked the rim relentlessly.
• The Jazz shot distribution was significantly superior for the 2nd straight night. The Jazz are the best analytical team in the NBA and it showed again tonight.
• Kyle Korver went into a time machine and got free for 10 three attempts and hit 6 of them. A few were wide open corner 3s
• A huge play in the game was a major block by Rudy Gobert of Nikola Jokic that ended up being overturned from a goaltending and then the Jazz got the jump ball. It was one of the most truly awesome defensive plays I have seen from Gobert.
• The Jazz are focused and dialed in for the final 21 games. There is a real chance the Jazz will be favored every game the rest of the season.
Staying above water has been amazing but Jazz are running out of steam and live audience
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, brings you the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz
- Blazers had a great game plan v. the Utah Jazz
- Jazz are amazing to have stayed above water without Donovan and Mike
- However, Jazz are wearing out and a lot is being asked of Joe Ingles and Jordan Clarkson
- Warriors and Blazers were playing playoff games and it showed
- Biggest concern on the Jazz
- Completely freaking out.
Jazz Game Rewind – Jazz offense sluggish as they fall to Blazers
The Utah Jazz fall short to the Portland Blazers, 105-98, as the offense struggled to get into a rhythm while still missing their two All-stars. For a recap of tonight’s action, tune into this edition of Jazz Game Rewind!
POSTCAST – Jazz offense wears down and Dame and CJ have the answers
David Locke and Ron Boone bring you POSTCAST after each Jazz game.
- Staying above water has been amazing but Jazz are running out of steam and live audience May 13, 2021
- Jazz Game Rewind – Jazz offense sluggish as they fall to Blazers May 13, 2021
- POSTCAST – Jazz offense wears down and Dame and CJ have the answers May 13, 2021
- Quin Snyder Coaches Show – Quin on Gobert and guarding Lillard May 12, 2021
- Where do we stand now? Will first round be the hardest for the Jazz? Portland preview May 12, 2021
Utah Jazz6 days ago
POSTCAST – Utah Jazz get massive win over Denver Nuggets and bodacious performance from Bojan
Utah Jazz1 week ago
Bojan Bogdanovic taking advantage, Quin figuring this group out, shot charts
Utah Jazz1 week ago
What former Utah Jazz player not named Stockton or Malone would you put on this Jazz team?
Utah Jazz1 week ago
Length has been impressive defensively, transition defense improvement, live edition