EMPTYING THE NOGGIN – Jazz dialed in for stretch run after Mile High win
Summary: Despite all indicators showing it would be nearly impossible the Utah Jazz go into Denver on the back end of a back to back and beat the Nuggets.
• This is an impressive win for the Utah Jazz. When the night started the Nuggets were the #1 team in the Western Conference. They had only lost 4 times all year at home and the teams on the road on a rest disadvantage were winning less than 30% of the time.
• However, the coaching staff and the players with the Utah Jazz have a wonderful synergy taking place. The coaches prepare remarkable game plans that go to minute details. The players are willing participants and they use a tremendous amount of mental energy to fulfill those plays. Then when it works the coaches work a little harder and the players listen a little more.
• Defensively the Jazz used the defensive player of the year to guard MVP candidate Nikola Jokic and not allow Denver to get catch and shoot three point shots. The Nuggets came into the game making 37% of catch and shoot 3s and only 30s of their threes off the dribble. Moreover, they have the 3rd highest rate of their threes being catch and shoot. So the Jazz single teamed Jokic and didn’t allow the Nuggets to get the rhythm catch and shoot threes. The Nuggets didn’t have a three in the first half of the game and finished with only 25 attempts for the game making 7.
• Jokic became undone in this game. Derrick Favors started on him and then Rudy Gobert switched onto him and Jokic got as frustrated as anyone in Denver had seen him all season. He committed back to back fouls out of frustration and was force to sit most of the game. To his credit and what an incredible talent he is despite having a miserable night he finished with 16 points, 13 rebounds and 7 assists to go with 5 turnovers.
• Offensively the Jazz took advantage of the over shifting Denver defense which allows the most corner 3s in the NBA to get 12 corner 3 looks and torch the Nuggets with Kyle Korver and Thabo Sefolosha.
• Thabo who is now 50% for the season from 3. He sparked the Jazz in the 2nd quarter after a first quarter where the Jazz struggled offensively but stayed in the game defensively.
• Donovan Mitchell hit a huge 3 at the buzzer at the end of the 3rd quarter the took the game from 8 back up to 11 and meant the Nuggets furious rally had only gained 4 points from the Jazz 15 points halftime lead.
• The Jazz held the Nuggets to a season low 2nd quarter points and first half points before the Nuggets scored 67 2nd half points got them back in the game. With the Jazz holding on shooters the Nuggets play a middle of the floor pick and roll game and attacked the rim relentlessly.
• The Jazz shot distribution was significantly superior for the 2nd straight night. The Jazz are the best analytical team in the NBA and it showed again tonight.
• Kyle Korver went into a time machine and got free for 10 three attempts and hit 6 of them. A few were wide open corner 3s
• A huge play in the game was a major block by Rudy Gobert of Nikola Jokic that ended up being overturned from a goaltending and then the Jazz got the jump ball. It was one of the most truly awesome defensive plays I have seen from Gobert.
• The Jazz are focused and dialed in for the final 21 games. There is a real chance the Jazz will be favored every game the rest of the season.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022