SUMMARY: The Utah Jazz outclassed the Phoenix Suns in route to 114-97 win.
• This was a really solid performance by the Jazz. They played hard. They never let Phoenix grab hold of the game. They exploited the Suns weaknesses. They executed what they wanted to do both offensive and defensively.
• The most noticeable item in this game is the Jazz could run their offense. Unlike Memphis and OKC who had the athletes and the experience to blow up what the Jazz were trying to do offensively Phoenix doesn’t have the personal to be able to inhibit the Jazz from running their offense.
• In addition, the Jazz had point guards tonight with Ricky Rubio and Raul Neto. In the 22 minutes Ricky Rubio was on the floor the Jazz were +13 and with Raul Neto on the floor for 11 minutes the Jazz were +9. In the 33 minutes the Jazz played a point guard they were +22. In the 15 minutes they played a primary ball handler they were -5
• Joe Ingles is the biggest benefactor of having the point guards back. When Joe Ingles is playing without a point guard he shots 35% from the field and 23% from three. Tonight he was 6 of 8 and 3 of 5 from three. He still had 6 assists.
• The Suns have no rim defense and aren’t a mature defensive team. The Jazz took 41 shots at the rim or 49% of their shots at the rim according to cleaning the glass. This is in the 96th percentile of all games this season. Derrick Favors had 18 points on 7 of 11 shooting on 2s and Rudy Gobert was 6 of 9 and had 18 points. The Jazz made 25 of 41 at the rim.
• Rudy Gobert dominated the game defensively. Deandre Ayton finished the night 1 for 9 with 2 points. More alarming was how many minutes he was on the floor where he had absolutely no impact on the game or went completely unnoticed. Ayton’s one field goal was a hook over Favors. Devin Booker early in the game would not venture into the paint at all with Gobert around.
• Rudy finished the night with 18 points and 20 rebounds
• Raul Neto really sparked the Jazz. He enters the game and immediately gets into the paint and makes things happen. It is an incredible testament this his guts and guile.
• Jazz played 11 players in the regular rotation
• Kelly Oubre was -27 and it was clear why if you watched the game.
• The Jazz defense was really good again tonight keep the Suns below a point per possession.
• The Jazz have only lost one game all year (in Mexico City) against the 9 teams that had a -2 differential at the half way point.
LOCKED ON JAZZ -Facebook Live – Gobert at super max, what does he need to improve and your questions
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider, David Locke, does a live Facebook show with a lot of questions about Rudy Gobert and the super max as well as free agent options. How does the Mike Conley trade happen?
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jae Crowder deep dive and David James joins for more Utah Jazz off-season
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke takes a look at Jae Crowder and his season with the Jazz. Then David James, of 1280 the zone and 97.5 FM joins the show to talk more about the off season and where the Jazz are headed
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Is it Jae Crowder or a stretch 4? David James joins Locke to talk Utah Jazz off-season
The Utah Jazz numbers with Jae Crowder on the floor are awesome. Jae Crowder has the vigor, heart and gumption to lead the Jazz. Is he the reason for those positive numbers or is it simply the Jazz playing a stretch 4? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider takes a look at all the stretch 4 combinations the Jazz have used over the last three years.
Then Locke is joined by morning show host of the Utah Jazz flagship station, 97.5 FM, David James to talk about the Utah Jazz off-season.
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Lindsey/Zanik Promotions, Does CJ mean Kemba would work with Donovan and does Harris stay for that role
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Lottery impact on Mike Conley and Jrue Holliday, the Point Guard Shuffle and Derrick Favors contract details
Utah Jazz5 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Tony Jones joins on Kemba or Tobias plus Kyle Korver season in review
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Live show with questions on free agency, trades and the draft