Summary: Ricky Rubio leads the Utah Jazz in a dismantling of the Oklahoma City Thunder, 115-102, to take a 2 to 1 series lead.
• Ricky Rubio had a triple double. The first Jazz player since John Stockton to have a Jazz playoff triple double. Rubio first half was 19 points, 7 rebounds and 6 assists. He finished the night 26 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists.
• Rubio controlled the entire game. He was brilliant finding the open man and executing what the Jazz needed to do offensively. He got guys great looks and executed Quin Snyder’s plan. If I understand EuroLeague correctly this may be the first time Rubio has played a series and he is seemingly understanding what the Thunder are doing and exploiting them more and more each game.
• Both Rubio and Ingles on the podium tonight after the game talked about how the offense gets them open looks and they are able to take advantage.
• The atmosphere in the building and the crowd was amazing. Joe Ingles commented that it was far different from last year’s crowd and far better. During our broadcast I took a moment for our national audience on Sirius XM to let them understand that their was a lot of the July 4th decision coming out in the crowd tonight. This was a game most Jazz fans never thought they were going to see. A playoff game in 2018 seemed like an outrageous idea when Hayward choose to go to Boston. There was an extra energy in the building and created an incredible atmosphere. Hopefully, Monday will be the same.
• The game had a crazy amount of coaching adjustments early in the game. The Jazz riddled the Thunder offense to open the game nailing really open corner 3s. Billy Donovan called timeout and went to a smaller lineup and the Thunder went on a 18 to 2 run and the Jazz looked completely off their game. Then the Jazz recovered and adjusted and went on a 22 to 4 run.
• Steven Adams was in foul trouble again tonight. The thunder lead 39-29 when he got into foul trouble 2nd quarter. By halftime the game was 58-53 Jazz lead. Then he got his 4th foul with the score Utah 65-63. The thunder had to go back to Adams with 3:00 left in the 4th quarter when the Jazz had taken a 12 point lead. The Thunder were -2 tonight when Adams was on the floor.
• Russell Westbrook was 5 of 17. He went 3 of 6 in the restricted area. That is his highest rate of shots at the rim. He was 2 of 7 in the mid range.
• The Thunder shot 14 of 28 from three and were down 20. They had an offensive rating of 105 tonight.
• Thunder only had 6 offensive rebounds tonight. They only had 4 fast break points.
• The Jazz forced the Thunder into the final 8 seconds of the shot clock 14 times in the first three quarters and the Thunder shot 3 of 14 and Westbrook was 0 for 5.
• The Jazz biggest run of the game came after Donovan Mitchell went out with 4 fouls.
• Joe Inlges got going tonight with 21 points on 5 of 10 from three and 4 assists.
• The Jazz offensive rating tonight was a 119. That is the 14th best offensive night of the year for the Jazz. This would be the item that would be most concerning for me if I was the Thunder. The Jazz offensive rating in game 1 was a 107 in game 2 it was 103 and tonight they exploded.
• The jazz trailed by 45-33 with 7:20 left in the 2nd and then lead by 106-86 with 5:00 left in the 4th 20 points in the 4th. That is a 32 point swing in a span of 26 minutes. 73 to 41. That is not a close game.
• See you Monday
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022