SUMMARY: Down 90-73 with 9:39 the Jazz came roaring back to beat the #1 seed Milwaukee Bucks 113-111
• Teams that trailed by 17 in the 4th quarter this season were 3-400 before the night started.
• The Bucks are the #1 defense in the NBA and the Jazz scored on 19 of their final 22 possessions. Donovan Mitchell and Derrick Favors lead the Jazz down the stretch.
• Donovan Mitchell had a career high 44 points. He notched 19 points and 3 assists in the 4th quarter. The Jazz outscored the Bucks 40-21 over the final 9 minutes and Donovan was directly related to 25 of the 40 points.
• Derrick Favors was equally as great. Favors had a career high 18 rebounds and had 23 points, 13 of them in the 4th quarter.
• It was an insane game. The Bucks opened the night on a 11-0 run and lead 20-6. The Jazz stayed in the game with great defense and got it down to 3 by the end of the 1st quarter. The Jazz maintained complete control stretching it out to 13 points lead before the Bucks cut it to 7 at the half. Then the Bucks started the third with equal supremacy in the 3rd that they did in the 1st and went on a 17-4 run. Then the Jazz got it back to 5 to start the quarter. But, the Bucks blitzed the Jazz on a 17-2 run to take what seemed like an insurmountable 17 point lead with less than 10 to play.
• The Jazz subbed in Mitchell, Favors and Korver with 10:16 left. It started quietly. Ingles hit a three and Favors made a 12 footer then Donovan hit a three and told the guys lets get going on the next possession Donovan went straight down the lane for a dunk and it was 90-82 with 7:45 left. Giannis checked out with it a 10 point game and before the Bucks could get him a rest it was a 2 point game with 5:39 left when Derrick dunked off an Ingles pick and roll
• Now it was clutch time. The Jazz had beat the #1 clutch time team the Clippers this week. They had beat the #1 clutch defense in Denver and now they were playing the #6 clutch team.
• The Bucks went back up 5 when Middleton walked into a three. Favors scored and got an and 1 followed by a Donovan bucket and the game was tied again at 95. Giannis scored. Donovan answered with an 11 foot pull up. Giannis hit a three. Favors got a layup and then off a stop Donovan threw a baseball pass to Crowder for a corner 3 which was good but with a foot on the line for two. 101-99 Jazz. The Bucks regained the lead and the Jazz pulled a rabbit out of their hat.
• The Bucks don’t switch guard to guard interchanges and Quin ran Ingles off a guard pick and Ingles went straight to the basket for a layup. Middelton missed and Favors grabbed another rebound before Donovan hit a big three to make it 106-102 but the Bucks got it back to 108-105 when Donovan went for a deep three and hit to give the Jazz an insurmountable 111-105 lead.
• What a clutch week for Donovan Mitchell who had been struggling in the clutch.
• The Bucks were without Eric Bledsoe and Malcolm Brogdan and it was noticeable late in the game where Bledsoe is usually the #1 option and has taken the most shots in the clutch. The Bucks were also without George Hill and Sterling Brown who are part of their regular rotation and the Jazz torched the Bucks bench tonight.
• Rudy Gobert had one of the worst night we have seen in years. He was 2 of 9 from the field and 1 for 8 from the line. He had the task of guarding Giannis and early in the game they didn’t call two push offs from Giannis and it was the beginning of a downhill night for Rudy.
• Quin pulled Rudy with 10 minutes left and turned it over to Derrick very similar to the comeback v. the Spurs last year
• The Bucks offense which is #2 in the NBA scored just .84 per possession in the halfcourt tonight. The Bucks transition game was nearly 2 pts per possession
• The two best defensive rebounding teams matched up tonight and an offensive rebounding fest broke out. The Jazz only allow opponents to grab 22.4% of offensive rebounds and the Bucks only allow 22.8% and the Jazz had 29% and the Bucks had 35%.
• My broadcast assistant Tyler Lance had some amazing notes tonight. The Jazz are now 27-3 if the opponent shoot under 45%. Jazz are the 4th best clutch offense coming into the night and they will be higher. The Bucks were 44-1 when leading going into the 4th quarter.
• This was an insane win because of the magnitude of the comeback. Quite a week for the Jazz with close game wins over Clippers, Denver and the Bucks.
• Donovan was truly unreal.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Russell Westbrook to the Rockets, but are the Rockets better?
The NBA was rocked again as Russell Westbrook was traded to the Houston Rockets. Why was the deal done? How did the deal get done? Is it possible the Rockets didn’t get better by adding Russell Westbrook? David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and the Jazz NBA Insider takes a look at all these questions and breaks it down.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – What Jazz fans should be most excited for and Points Gained for the West
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke gives Jazz fans the reason why they should be most excited for the upcoming season. Then, Locke takes his intial look at points gained and how the Western Conference is setting up offensively.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Reaction to Kawhi and PG, what it means for NBA and how Rudy Gobert has become more important
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke takes a look at the impact of Kawhi Leonard bringing Paul George to the Los Angeles Clippers. Locke looks at the long term scary part of this for small market franchises. In addition, Locke takes a look at Rudy Gobert and how he has become more valuable and more important in the West.
Plus, a few quick thoughts on the summer league.