SUMMARY: Down 90-73 with 9:39 the Jazz came roaring back to beat the #1 seed Milwaukee Bucks 113-111
• Teams that trailed by 17 in the 4th quarter this season were 3-400 before the night started.
• The Bucks are the #1 defense in the NBA and the Jazz scored on 19 of their final 22 possessions. Donovan Mitchell and Derrick Favors lead the Jazz down the stretch.
• Donovan Mitchell had a career high 44 points. He notched 19 points and 3 assists in the 4th quarter. The Jazz outscored the Bucks 40-21 over the final 9 minutes and Donovan was directly related to 25 of the 40 points.
• Derrick Favors was equally as great. Favors had a career high 18 rebounds and had 23 points, 13 of them in the 4th quarter.
• It was an insane game. The Bucks opened the night on a 11-0 run and lead 20-6. The Jazz stayed in the game with great defense and got it down to 3 by the end of the 1st quarter. The Jazz maintained complete control stretching it out to 13 points lead before the Bucks cut it to 7 at the half. Then the Bucks started the third with equal supremacy in the 3rd that they did in the 1st and went on a 17-4 run. Then the Jazz got it back to 5 to start the quarter. But, the Bucks blitzed the Jazz on a 17-2 run to take what seemed like an insurmountable 17 point lead with less than 10 to play.
• The Jazz subbed in Mitchell, Favors and Korver with 10:16 left. It started quietly. Ingles hit a three and Favors made a 12 footer then Donovan hit a three and told the guys lets get going on the next possession Donovan went straight down the lane for a dunk and it was 90-82 with 7:45 left. Giannis checked out with it a 10 point game and before the Bucks could get him a rest it was a 2 point game with 5:39 left when Derrick dunked off an Ingles pick and roll
• Now it was clutch time. The Jazz had beat the #1 clutch time team the Clippers this week. They had beat the #1 clutch defense in Denver and now they were playing the #6 clutch team.
• The Bucks went back up 5 when Middleton walked into a three. Favors scored and got an and 1 followed by a Donovan bucket and the game was tied again at 95. Giannis scored. Donovan answered with an 11 foot pull up. Giannis hit a three. Favors got a layup and then off a stop Donovan threw a baseball pass to Crowder for a corner 3 which was good but with a foot on the line for two. 101-99 Jazz. The Bucks regained the lead and the Jazz pulled a rabbit out of their hat.
• The Bucks don’t switch guard to guard interchanges and Quin ran Ingles off a guard pick and Ingles went straight to the basket for a layup. Middelton missed and Favors grabbed another rebound before Donovan hit a big three to make it 106-102 but the Bucks got it back to 108-105 when Donovan went for a deep three and hit to give the Jazz an insurmountable 111-105 lead.
• What a clutch week for Donovan Mitchell who had been struggling in the clutch.
• The Bucks were without Eric Bledsoe and Malcolm Brogdan and it was noticeable late in the game where Bledsoe is usually the #1 option and has taken the most shots in the clutch. The Bucks were also without George Hill and Sterling Brown who are part of their regular rotation and the Jazz torched the Bucks bench tonight.
• Rudy Gobert had one of the worst night we have seen in years. He was 2 of 9 from the field and 1 for 8 from the line. He had the task of guarding Giannis and early in the game they didn’t call two push offs from Giannis and it was the beginning of a downhill night for Rudy.
• Quin pulled Rudy with 10 minutes left and turned it over to Derrick very similar to the comeback v. the Spurs last year
• The Bucks offense which is #2 in the NBA scored just .84 per possession in the halfcourt tonight. The Bucks transition game was nearly 2 pts per possession
• The two best defensive rebounding teams matched up tonight and an offensive rebounding fest broke out. The Jazz only allow opponents to grab 22.4% of offensive rebounds and the Bucks only allow 22.8% and the Jazz had 29% and the Bucks had 35%.
• My broadcast assistant Tyler Lance had some amazing notes tonight. The Jazz are now 27-3 if the opponent shoot under 45%. Jazz are the 4th best clutch offense coming into the night and they will be higher. The Bucks were 44-1 when leading going into the 4th quarter.
• This was an insane win because of the magnitude of the comeback. Quite a week for the Jazz with close game wins over Clippers, Denver and the Bucks.
• Donovan was truly unreal.
Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show
If you missed tonight action, I’ll get you caught up in this edition of Jazz Game Rewind! The Utah Jazz struggled in the 1st half, but found their groove in the 2nd, as Donovan Mitchell dropped 25 second half points to lead Utah to a 124-109 victory
POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic
David Locke hosts POSTCAST after each Jazz game tonight the Jazz beat the Magic with thrid quarter surge and Donovan Mitchell commanding 2nd half play.
Quin Snyder Coaches Show – Jazz @ Magic
Time now for the Quin Snyder Coaches Show! Prior to tip-off, tune-in as Locke sits down with Utah Jazz head coach Quin Snyder to discuss slow first quarter starts vs dominant third quarter adjustments, and the matchup between Gobert and Vucevic.
- Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show February 27, 2021
- POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic February 27, 2021
- Quin Snyder Coaches Show – Jazz @ Magic February 27, 2021
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Heat Get The Best Of The Jazz The Second Time Around February 26, 2021
- QUIN SNYDER COACHES SHOW- How Do Teams Try And Prep For Rudy Knowing How Dominant He Is February 26, 2021
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Did Clippers write defensive script? Can Rudy Gobert be more dominant? Cord cutting and buy out market for the Utah Jazz
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dwayne Wade has Donovan Mitchell as All-Star Starter, Previewing the Clippers, Quin Snyder Wednesday
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jordan Clarkson’s vibe and history, Donovan Mitchell’s pass is the fabric of the team
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – The Utah Jazz are amazing, Hot Topic Debates MVP and Title Contender