SUMMARY: Down 90-73 with 9:39 the Jazz came roaring back to beat the #1 seed Milwaukee Bucks 113-111
• Teams that trailed by 17 in the 4th quarter this season were 3-400 before the night started.
• The Bucks are the #1 defense in the NBA and the Jazz scored on 19 of their final 22 possessions. Donovan Mitchell and Derrick Favors lead the Jazz down the stretch.
• Donovan Mitchell had a career high 44 points. He notched 19 points and 3 assists in the 4th quarter. The Jazz outscored the Bucks 40-21 over the final 9 minutes and Donovan was directly related to 25 of the 40 points.
• Derrick Favors was equally as great. Favors had a career high 18 rebounds and had 23 points, 13 of them in the 4th quarter.
• It was an insane game. The Bucks opened the night on a 11-0 run and lead 20-6. The Jazz stayed in the game with great defense and got it down to 3 by the end of the 1st quarter. The Jazz maintained complete control stretching it out to 13 points lead before the Bucks cut it to 7 at the half. Then the Bucks started the third with equal supremacy in the 3rd that they did in the 1st and went on a 17-4 run. Then the Jazz got it back to 5 to start the quarter. But, the Bucks blitzed the Jazz on a 17-2 run to take what seemed like an insurmountable 17 point lead with less than 10 to play.
• The Jazz subbed in Mitchell, Favors and Korver with 10:16 left. It started quietly. Ingles hit a three and Favors made a 12 footer then Donovan hit a three and told the guys lets get going on the next possession Donovan went straight down the lane for a dunk and it was 90-82 with 7:45 left. Giannis checked out with it a 10 point game and before the Bucks could get him a rest it was a 2 point game with 5:39 left when Derrick dunked off an Ingles pick and roll
• Now it was clutch time. The Jazz had beat the #1 clutch time team the Clippers this week. They had beat the #1 clutch defense in Denver and now they were playing the #6 clutch team.
• The Bucks went back up 5 when Middleton walked into a three. Favors scored and got an and 1 followed by a Donovan bucket and the game was tied again at 95. Giannis scored. Donovan answered with an 11 foot pull up. Giannis hit a three. Favors got a layup and then off a stop Donovan threw a baseball pass to Crowder for a corner 3 which was good but with a foot on the line for two. 101-99 Jazz. The Bucks regained the lead and the Jazz pulled a rabbit out of their hat.
• The Bucks don’t switch guard to guard interchanges and Quin ran Ingles off a guard pick and Ingles went straight to the basket for a layup. Middelton missed and Favors grabbed another rebound before Donovan hit a big three to make it 106-102 but the Bucks got it back to 108-105 when Donovan went for a deep three and hit to give the Jazz an insurmountable 111-105 lead.
• What a clutch week for Donovan Mitchell who had been struggling in the clutch.
• The Bucks were without Eric Bledsoe and Malcolm Brogdan and it was noticeable late in the game where Bledsoe is usually the #1 option and has taken the most shots in the clutch. The Bucks were also without George Hill and Sterling Brown who are part of their regular rotation and the Jazz torched the Bucks bench tonight.
• Rudy Gobert had one of the worst night we have seen in years. He was 2 of 9 from the field and 1 for 8 from the line. He had the task of guarding Giannis and early in the game they didn’t call two push offs from Giannis and it was the beginning of a downhill night for Rudy.
• Quin pulled Rudy with 10 minutes left and turned it over to Derrick very similar to the comeback v. the Spurs last year
• The Bucks offense which is #2 in the NBA scored just .84 per possession in the halfcourt tonight. The Bucks transition game was nearly 2 pts per possession
• The two best defensive rebounding teams matched up tonight and an offensive rebounding fest broke out. The Jazz only allow opponents to grab 22.4% of offensive rebounds and the Bucks only allow 22.8% and the Jazz had 29% and the Bucks had 35%.
• My broadcast assistant Tyler Lance had some amazing notes tonight. The Jazz are now 27-3 if the opponent shoot under 45%. Jazz are the 4th best clutch offense coming into the night and they will be higher. The Bucks were 44-1 when leading going into the 4th quarter.
• This was an insane win because of the magnitude of the comeback. Quite a week for the Jazz with close game wins over Clippers, Denver and the Bucks.
• Donovan was truly unreal.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022