EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
Summary: The defensive juggernaut that is the Utah Jazz won a game on the offensive side of the ball tonight upending the hot-shooting Dallas Mavericks for their 12th straight road win.
- The game started as a flat out shoot out. Which was completely unexpected. It really never became the grind it out half court defensive battle you would anticipate. However, from the big picture standpoint, it went as you would expect. The Jazz took a lead, controlled the game most of the way and then Dallas never went away keeping Jazz nation nervous for almost the whole game.
- Ron Boone said in his shoot around report that he wanted the Jazz to be able to attack the basket tonight and work in the paint. They did that well scoring 56 points in the paint. Dallas is interesting they are the 29th ranked team defending the restricted area and 28th defending the paint, however they allow the fewest attempts in the restricted area. The Jazz did a nice job of continually working inside tonight and working at the rim.
- Derrick Favors displayed another night with a wide array of skills. He hit another corner 3, he had one of the most remarkable dunks and he had a gorgeous touch pass to Rudy Gobert. The dunk was incredible. A pass down at his feet and he was able to reach down and collect the ball and then rise up in traffic and dunk. That is elite. He is the #1 shooter in the NBA in the restricted area. There are not many players in the entire league who could have caught the pass and had the explosiveness to dunk it. Favors had 19 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists. Favors 5 assists lead to 14 points. 4 of the 5 field goals were three point shots.
- Donovan Mitchell had a spectacular night. The word spectacular is the correct one to use. Each of his baskets had a level of difficulty that would have made Mary Lou Renton (old reference) proud. He is not making his three point shot and even seems a bit reluctant to shoot it. Therefore, he was doing most of his damage at the rim in traffic with angles that seemed impossible. Only 4 of Donovan’s 11 field goals were assisted. He is creating offense all by himself and it is incredible.
- The Jazz used Joe Inlges in the pick and roll a great deal tonight. Clearly, there was a matchup the Jazz were trying to take advantage of and where able to go at most of the night. Ingles had another 10 assist game to go along with his 18 points and 6 rebounds. Think about that Joe Ingles dropping a 18 points, 6 rebound and 10 assist game. That is big time.
- Jazz were in control most of the night. They had a double digit lead three different times. However, Dallas doesn’t relent. JJ Barea torched the Jazz early in the game. He had 20 in the first half. Yogi Ferrell gave the Jazz fits. The Dallas Mavericks guards were not a great match-up for the Jazz.
- Dallas shot lights out tonight. They were 17 of 32 from three. Somehow the Jazz won. The defense had its worst outing since before Rudy Gobert returned. The offense tonight, had 12 threes and shot an EFG% of 59% (same as the Mavericks)
- The Jazz only had 12 mid range points all night, everything was in the paint or three point shots.
- Ricky Rubio was aggressive to start the night and stayed with it all night. He had 22 points and the Jazz are undefeated when he scores 20 or more
- 12 straight road wins.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022