EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
Summary: The defensive juggernaut that is the Utah Jazz won a game on the offensive side of the ball tonight upending the hot-shooting Dallas Mavericks for their 12th straight road win.
- The game started as a flat out shoot out. Which was completely unexpected. It really never became the grind it out half court defensive battle you would anticipate. However, from the big picture standpoint, it went as you would expect. The Jazz took a lead, controlled the game most of the way and then Dallas never went away keeping Jazz nation nervous for almost the whole game.
- Ron Boone said in his shoot around report that he wanted the Jazz to be able to attack the basket tonight and work in the paint. They did that well scoring 56 points in the paint. Dallas is interesting they are the 29th ranked team defending the restricted area and 28th defending the paint, however they allow the fewest attempts in the restricted area. The Jazz did a nice job of continually working inside tonight and working at the rim.
- Derrick Favors displayed another night with a wide array of skills. He hit another corner 3, he had one of the most remarkable dunks and he had a gorgeous touch pass to Rudy Gobert. The dunk was incredible. A pass down at his feet and he was able to reach down and collect the ball and then rise up in traffic and dunk. That is elite. He is the #1 shooter in the NBA in the restricted area. There are not many players in the entire league who could have caught the pass and had the explosiveness to dunk it. Favors had 19 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists. Favors 5 assists lead to 14 points. 4 of the 5 field goals were three point shots.
- Donovan Mitchell had a spectacular night. The word spectacular is the correct one to use. Each of his baskets had a level of difficulty that would have made Mary Lou Renton (old reference) proud. He is not making his three point shot and even seems a bit reluctant to shoot it. Therefore, he was doing most of his damage at the rim in traffic with angles that seemed impossible. Only 4 of Donovan’s 11 field goals were assisted. He is creating offense all by himself and it is incredible.
- The Jazz used Joe Inlges in the pick and roll a great deal tonight. Clearly, there was a matchup the Jazz were trying to take advantage of and where able to go at most of the night. Ingles had another 10 assist game to go along with his 18 points and 6 rebounds. Think about that Joe Ingles dropping a 18 points, 6 rebound and 10 assist game. That is big time.
- Jazz were in control most of the night. They had a double digit lead three different times. However, Dallas doesn’t relent. JJ Barea torched the Jazz early in the game. He had 20 in the first half. Yogi Ferrell gave the Jazz fits. The Dallas Mavericks guards were not a great match-up for the Jazz.
- Dallas shot lights out tonight. They were 17 of 32 from three. Somehow the Jazz won. The defense had its worst outing since before Rudy Gobert returned. The offense tonight, had 12 threes and shot an EFG% of 59% (same as the Mavericks)
- The Jazz only had 12 mid range points all night, everything was in the paint or three point shots.
- Ricky Rubio was aggressive to start the night and stayed with it all night. He had 22 points and the Jazz are undefeated when he scores 20 or more
- 12 straight road wins.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert are all-star, Mike Conley left off again, previewing the Lakers
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke, host Locked On Jazz daily. On Today’s episode
- Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert make the all-star team
- Mike Conley is left off again. A look at the history of guards in the Mike Conley era
- Why Mike Conley would have been deserving of an all-star bid
- The offense in the NBA is breaking the game
- The Los Angeles Lakers are lacking that punch of some of the best teams
- Quin Snyder Wednesday on Mike Conley, Jordan Clarkson and Joe Ingles
LOCKED ON JAZZ – In depth breakdown of Jazz blitz of the Hornets, Mike Conley’s All-Star chances and Power Ranking Tuesday
David Locke is the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider on today’s edition of Locked On Jazz
- Locke breaks down the Jazz massive 3rd quarter/4th quarter run and what spurred it on
- Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert were the bookends to the brilliance and the depth showed in the middle
- Jordan Clarkson’s unselfish play and Georges Niang’s defense will be overshadowed by the shot making
- Locke looks at Mike Conley’s all-star chances
- We hear from the Locked On Lakers and Locked On Suns hosts
- It is Power Ranking Tuesday and the Jazz hold the #1 spot and projections have them taking the #1 seed by a lot
Jazz Game Rewind – Jazz break record for 3’s in a game…again
If you missed tonights action, we’ll get you caught up with tonights Jazz Game Rewind! The Utah Jazz went on a 41-11 run to swat the Hornets hopes of getting an upset win tonight, inning 132-110. They connected on a franchise record 28 three-pointers, led by Georges Niang’s 7-7 shooting from three!
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert are all-star, Mike Conley left off again, previewing the Lakers February 24, 2021
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – In depth breakdown of Jazz blitz of the Hornets, Mike Conley’s All-Star chances and Power Ranking Tuesday February 23, 2021
- Jazz Game Rewind – Jazz break record for 3’s in a game…again February 23, 2021
- POSTCAST – Georges Niang 7 times !!! Utah Jazz set franchise record with 28 threes in win over Charlotte February 23, 2021
- Quin Snyder Coaches Show – Jazz vs Hornets 02/22/21 February 22, 2021
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
POSTCAST – Passion filled POSTCAST about how brilliant the Utah Jazz have been this year
Utah Jazz6 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Did Clippers write defensive script? Can Rudy Gobert be more dominant? Cord cutting and buy out market for the Utah Jazz
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dwayne Wade has Donovan Mitchell as All-Star Starter, Previewing the Clippers, Quin Snyder Wednesday
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jordan Clarkson’s vibe and history, Donovan Mitchell’s pass is the fabric of the team