SUMMARY: Jazz offense never gets flowing and the Memphis Grizzlies surprise the Jazz with a 92-84 win over the Jazz.
• This game reminded me a lot of the November 10th game last year against Miami Heat when the Jazz offense was simply miserable. On both nights they couldn’t hit shots, they missed the shots that were the right reads and they sputtered the entire night.
• Marc Gasol had a mammoth impact on this game defensively. He cut off the Jazz driving lanes right around the restricted area and forced the Jazz into paint non-restricted area 2s as well as forcing the Jazz into turnovers. The impact was the Jazz rarely got the blender going.
• In the third quarter, the Jazz attacked numerous times on the high pick and roll and ether the driving ball handler or the big on receiving end of the pass ran into three defenders. The right play at this point is to pass out to the open man. This is usually in the corner. The Jazz went 2 for 11 on corner 3s. This is a shot the Jazz made at 40%.
• Defenses in the NBA can take things away. The next step is to make the right read and make the play. In the cases the Jazz made the right read the play wasn’t made. Then it starts to compound on itself and players stop making the play and start to force.
• Jazz went 3 of 17 on short mid-range shots and 5 of 22 on all mid-range shots.
• Mike Conley makes a difference. The Jazz point guards had a really poor shooting night. Ricky Rubio went 1 for 8 (1 for 5 from three) and Dante Exum went 2 for 11 in 13 minutes (0 for 4 from three). Rubio has had a history of struggling v. Conley. In the last 5 games v. Conley Rubio is now 7 for 38 and in the last 7 games 12 of 57.
• This game was a half-court game and that made it hard for Dante to use the speed in his game that was so productive in the previous games
• Because Marc Gasol was dropping into the restricted area on all pick and rolls and because the Grizzlies were bringing another player over the Jazz bigs were unable to play above the rim. I don’t believe the Jazz had a single high pass tonight. With 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter Rudy Gobert was 1 for 3 and Derrick Favors was 3 for 11.
• At that same point the Jazz were down 13 with 5:48 left and had only scored 66 points. The game was really over at that point. Donovan Mitchell was 6 of 13 with 5 turnovers and 1 technical foul. He is not getting the same looks he got a year ago and he is not getting to the basket and finishing the way he did a year ago. He wasn’t at this point last year either if you recall.
• Joe Ingles was 1 of 7 from three. He had only missed 6 threes in one other game of his career and he only took 1 in the second half. I wonder if he couldn’t get space or if he didn’t feel right so he stopped shooting. He did play 35 minutes v. Warriors.
• There was certainly some Warriors hang over in this game.
• The good news tonight is the Jazz defense came back to life. The Jazz defensive rating was a 96 and that will win most games.
• Off for a tough road trip
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022