SUMMARY: Jazz offense never gets flowing and the Memphis Grizzlies surprise the Jazz with a 92-84 win over the Jazz.
• This game reminded me a lot of the November 10th game last year against Miami Heat when the Jazz offense was simply miserable. On both nights they couldn’t hit shots, they missed the shots that were the right reads and they sputtered the entire night.
• Marc Gasol had a mammoth impact on this game defensively. He cut off the Jazz driving lanes right around the restricted area and forced the Jazz into paint non-restricted area 2s as well as forcing the Jazz into turnovers. The impact was the Jazz rarely got the blender going.
• In the third quarter, the Jazz attacked numerous times on the high pick and roll and ether the driving ball handler or the big on receiving end of the pass ran into three defenders. The right play at this point is to pass out to the open man. This is usually in the corner. The Jazz went 2 for 11 on corner 3s. This is a shot the Jazz made at 40%.
• Defenses in the NBA can take things away. The next step is to make the right read and make the play. In the cases the Jazz made the right read the play wasn’t made. Then it starts to compound on itself and players stop making the play and start to force.
• Jazz went 3 of 17 on short mid-range shots and 5 of 22 on all mid-range shots.
• Mike Conley makes a difference. The Jazz point guards had a really poor shooting night. Ricky Rubio went 1 for 8 (1 for 5 from three) and Dante Exum went 2 for 11 in 13 minutes (0 for 4 from three). Rubio has had a history of struggling v. Conley. In the last 5 games v. Conley Rubio is now 7 for 38 and in the last 7 games 12 of 57.
• This game was a half-court game and that made it hard for Dante to use the speed in his game that was so productive in the previous games
• Because Marc Gasol was dropping into the restricted area on all pick and rolls and because the Grizzlies were bringing another player over the Jazz bigs were unable to play above the rim. I don’t believe the Jazz had a single high pass tonight. With 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter Rudy Gobert was 1 for 3 and Derrick Favors was 3 for 11.
• At that same point the Jazz were down 13 with 5:48 left and had only scored 66 points. The game was really over at that point. Donovan Mitchell was 6 of 13 with 5 turnovers and 1 technical foul. He is not getting the same looks he got a year ago and he is not getting to the basket and finishing the way he did a year ago. He wasn’t at this point last year either if you recall.
• Joe Ingles was 1 of 7 from three. He had only missed 6 threes in one other game of his career and he only took 1 in the second half. I wonder if he couldn’t get space or if he didn’t feel right so he stopped shooting. He did play 35 minutes v. Warriors.
• There was certainly some Warriors hang over in this game.
• The good news tonight is the Jazz defense came back to life. The Jazz defensive rating was a 96 and that will win most games.
• Off for a tough road trip
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday
The Utah Jazz used offensive rebounding to beat the Orlando Magic. The increase in offensive rebounding is a league wide trend due to analytics. Mike Conley and Derrick Favors had interesting comments about playing in Utah in the Athletic article. It is a trend Monday as well.
Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show
If you missed tonight action, I’ll get you caught up in this edition of Jazz Game Rewind! The Utah Jazz struggled in the 1st half, but found their groove in the 2nd, as Donovan Mitchell dropped 25 second half points to lead Utah to a 124-109 victory
POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic
David Locke hosts POSTCAST after each Jazz game tonight the Jazz beat the Magic with thrid quarter surge and Donovan Mitchell commanding 2nd half play.
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday March 1, 2021
- Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show February 27, 2021
- POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic February 27, 2021
- Quin Snyder Coaches Show – Jazz @ Magic February 27, 2021
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Heat Get The Best Of The Jazz The Second Time Around February 26, 2021
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Did Clippers write defensive script? Can Rudy Gobert be more dominant? Cord cutting and buy out market for the Utah Jazz
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dwayne Wade has Donovan Mitchell as All-Star Starter, Previewing the Clippers, Quin Snyder Wednesday
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jordan Clarkson’s vibe and history, Donovan Mitchell’s pass is the fabric of the team
Utah Jazz5 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert are all-star, Mike Conley left off again, previewing the Lakers