SUMMARY: Jazz offense never gets flowing and the Memphis Grizzlies surprise the Jazz with a 92-84 win over the Jazz.
• This game reminded me a lot of the November 10th game last year against Miami Heat when the Jazz offense was simply miserable. On both nights they couldn’t hit shots, they missed the shots that were the right reads and they sputtered the entire night.
• Marc Gasol had a mammoth impact on this game defensively. He cut off the Jazz driving lanes right around the restricted area and forced the Jazz into paint non-restricted area 2s as well as forcing the Jazz into turnovers. The impact was the Jazz rarely got the blender going.
• In the third quarter, the Jazz attacked numerous times on the high pick and roll and ether the driving ball handler or the big on receiving end of the pass ran into three defenders. The right play at this point is to pass out to the open man. This is usually in the corner. The Jazz went 2 for 11 on corner 3s. This is a shot the Jazz made at 40%.
• Defenses in the NBA can take things away. The next step is to make the right read and make the play. In the cases the Jazz made the right read the play wasn’t made. Then it starts to compound on itself and players stop making the play and start to force.
• Jazz went 3 of 17 on short mid-range shots and 5 of 22 on all mid-range shots.
• Mike Conley makes a difference. The Jazz point guards had a really poor shooting night. Ricky Rubio went 1 for 8 (1 for 5 from three) and Dante Exum went 2 for 11 in 13 minutes (0 for 4 from three). Rubio has had a history of struggling v. Conley. In the last 5 games v. Conley Rubio is now 7 for 38 and in the last 7 games 12 of 57.
• This game was a half-court game and that made it hard for Dante to use the speed in his game that was so productive in the previous games
• Because Marc Gasol was dropping into the restricted area on all pick and rolls and because the Grizzlies were bringing another player over the Jazz bigs were unable to play above the rim. I don’t believe the Jazz had a single high pass tonight. With 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter Rudy Gobert was 1 for 3 and Derrick Favors was 3 for 11.
• At that same point the Jazz were down 13 with 5:48 left and had only scored 66 points. The game was really over at that point. Donovan Mitchell was 6 of 13 with 5 turnovers and 1 technical foul. He is not getting the same looks he got a year ago and he is not getting to the basket and finishing the way he did a year ago. He wasn’t at this point last year either if you recall.
• Joe Ingles was 1 of 7 from three. He had only missed 6 threes in one other game of his career and he only took 1 in the second half. I wonder if he couldn’t get space or if he didn’t feel right so he stopped shooting. He did play 35 minutes v. Warriors.
• There was certainly some Warriors hang over in this game.
• The good news tonight is the Jazz defense came back to life. The Jazz defensive rating was a 96 and that will win most games.
• Off for a tough road trip
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Donovan Mitchell on off court legacy, on court development and this year’s Jazz. Craig Bolerjack kicks off preview series
Donovan Mitchell signed his extension and then discussed what he will do with his new found wealth, how his off court legacy is what matters most to him, how is game changed in the bubble and how this year’s group will need to integrate. Then David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, sits down the with voice of the Utah Jazz Craig Bolerjack to discuss the upcoming season and Donovan Mitchell’s development.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Creating the Jazz rotation for the upcoming season and winners and losers of free agency
David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider was very surprised by the structure of the schedule and he talks about why. The Utah Jazz will allow fans in the stands on a limited basis. Locke looks into the rotation of the Utah Jazz and how to put together all of this talent and finally who were the winners and losers of Free Agency.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dark Mode, Western Conference Over Unders where do Utah Jazz sit?
The Utah Jazz revealed dark mode and it was kinda awesome. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider makes his case for a color change for the Utah Jazz. Then he looks at the Western Conference over unders and where the Jazz and the rest of the West sit. Plus, a quick look at the Utah Jazz rotation for the upcoming season.
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Donovan Mitchell on off court legacy, on court development and this year’s Jazz. Craig Bolerjack kicks off preview series November 30, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Creating the Jazz rotation for the upcoming season and winners and losers of free agency November 25, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dark Mode, Western Conference Over Unders where do Utah Jazz sit? November 24, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Mitchell re-signs rookie extension, Favors returns to Utah, Clarkson comes back to lead the Bench November 23, 2020
- BREAKING LOCKED ON JAZZ- The Utah Jazz have signed Derrick Favors and re-signed Jordan Clarkson November 20, 2020
Utah Jazz1 week ago
BREAKING LOCKED ON JAZZ- The Utah Jazz have signed Derrick Favors and re-signed Jordan Clarkson
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Why did the Jazz go big? Who are Udoka Azubuike and Elijah Hughes?
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Mitchell re-signs rookie extension, Favors returns to Utah, Clarkson comes back to lead the Bench
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Free Agency Day. What can the Utah Jazz do? The 7 best listener trades