EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
Summary: Jazz play as well as they can in blow out win over Indiana 104-84
- The Jazz fell behind 8-2 to start the game and then closed the first quarter on a 30 to 12 run and never looked back. This game was not close. The Jazz dominated it all night. Indiana threatened briefly in the third quarter, but the Jazz quelled it and went up by double digits and blew it open again to start the 4th.
- Indiana is good. With Victor Oladipo they are 31-16, they had won 9 of 10 at home and 5 of 7 overall. The Jazz crushed them.
- This was a great night for the Jazz both offensively and defensively.
- The Pacers didn’t hit a three until mid way thru the 3rd quarter and were 3 for 23 on the night. The Pacers lived in the mid range most of the night as Gobert and Favors took away the basket and they launched mid range shot after mid range shot. Pacers hit a bunch of mid range shots and are the 3rd best mid range shooting team in the NBA, but even that is only 43% so you can’t survive on the mid range.
- The Jazz lineup of Rubio, Mitchell, Ingles, Crowder and Gobert was plus 9 in the first quarter and blew the game open.
- Rudy Gobert is dominating games. His defensive presence eliminate so many things teams want to do that it blows up their entire rhythm and sequencing of their offense. Offensively, Rudy is having a mammoth impact on games. For the third time in 4 games he had a 20 point scoring night to go with at least 10 rebounds.
- The Jazz defense since Jan 19th is nearly 10 points better than league average. In that same time Houston offense is 8 above average. We should be thinking of the Jazz defense lead by Rudy as the same as the Rockets offense lead by James Harden.
- Harden has Chris Paul and Rudy has Derrick Favors who was great tonight. The defense and rim protection by Derrick Favors was as good as Rudy tonight. The Pacers never got a rhythm in those minutes. This is important because if they get rolling then it could carry over.
- Donovan Mitchell was great in the first quarter making a bunch of big plays. Then he made a collection of super passes for three pointers. He threw a bullet to Jae Crowder for three, then on a fast break hit Rubio for three. Late in the third the Pacers were making a run and Donovan Mitchell knocked down a three on a great pass from Crowder and put the game back to 12 points ending the Pacers run.
- Donovan Mitchell was great defensively tonight. The work he put on Oladipo was terrific. When he forced him to the side Oladipo never got back. Mitchell did an amazing job on battling on the pick and roll. This might have been his best defensive game of the year.
- Ricky Rubio has 19 points, 6 rebounds and 7 assists to go with 3 steals. His first quarter was great and set the tone and the passion he plays with is contagious.
- The Joe Ingles Rudy Gobert pick and roll was the primary set from the Jazz tonight. Joe Ingles and Gobert have improved considerably over the course of the last two nights working together. This has not been a great combo throughout the year, but over the last two nights they really connected. Joe Ingles had a double double with 11 points and 10 assists .
- Royce O’Neale made a few plays tonight on the defensive end where he rotated correctly or switched or dropped into passing lanes that are the plays that make coaches love you as a player.
- The Jazz were collectively terrific tonight. They dominated the game on both ends of the floor.
- 9 straight road wins equals the Jazz team of 1998 and has only been surpassed once before in franchise history. Great things are going on.
Previewing Utah Jazz v. Denver Nuggets and Crossover with Adam Mares plus road to 55 wins
Utah Jazz match up with the Denver Nuggets tonight in an NBA Northwest Division battle. Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert renew the rivalry against Nikola Jokic and Michael Porter Jr.
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider brings you the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz, Now live each morning on You Tube
Locke will break down the Nuggets loss last night v. the Cleveland Cavaliers and where they are heading in the early part of the season. Plus, the keys to the match-up tonight v. the Jazz in Utah.
Then Locke looks at what it will take for the Utah Jazz to win 55 games in the Western Conference this season. The Road to 55 and what has to happen for the Jazz.
In the final segment, Locke is joined by Adam Mares of Locked On Nuggets to breakdown where each team stands and look ahead to the Tuesday night tilt.
Strong win in Sacramento, defense carried and running late, Whiteside minutes
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider brings you the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz,
Now live each morning on You Tube
On Today’s episode Locke discusses a strong win in Sacramento against a feisty Kings team. Those wins are bigger than you think and the Jazz just got a tough one. The Utah Jazz defense was the key early and then they ran late which was a change from how they finished last year at times.
The show will also look at Hassan Whiteside’s minutes and the performance of Trent Forrest in the 2nd half as well as the big guns Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert.
Finally, Locke takes a look at an early trends around the NBA and what is different about the 2021-22 season.
POSTCAST = Locke and Boone breakdown how Jazz held of the swords of the Kings
Utah Jazz broadcast team David Locke and Ron Boone breakdown the Jazz tenacious win over the motivated and energetic Sacramento Kings
- Previewing Utah Jazz v. Denver Nuggets and Crossover with Adam Mares plus road to 55 wins October 26, 2021
- Strong win in Sacramento, defense carried and running late, Whiteside minutes October 25, 2021
- POSTCAST = Locke and Boone breakdown how Jazz held of the swords of the Kings October 23, 2021
- Previewing Kings, Somone is going off for 30, how Bojan thrives and Top 75 October 22, 2021
- Locke Game Thoughts – Jazz beat Thunder in opener October 21, 2021
Utah Jazz1 week ago
Quin Snyder builds trust with the why, Mike Conley and Jared Butler are intertwined and worst draft class ever
Utah Jazz6 days ago
Utah Jazz Opening night, 3 concerns after watching opening night, Mike Conley ready to thrive
Utah Jazz5 days ago
Locke Game Thoughts – Jazz beat Thunder in opener
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
Rudy gives back, new color branding, pick and roll deep dive