SUMMARY: A hot shooting night coupled with a great game plan and defensive execution leads to a 30+ point blow out of the San Antonio Spurs.
- This was as good as the Utah Jazz can be. They hit a franchise record 20 three pointers tonight and beat the Spurs 139-105.
- While the story will be about the offense and the three point shooting the real story should be about how connected the Jazz defense was tonight. The Jazz defensive rating in the first quarter was a 76 and at halftime was a 94. They made Aldridge and DeRozan uncomfortable through out the night.
- Aldridge wants to play in the left block and he got their only two times all night. The Jazz were impacting the post up before it got there. They were picking the ball up early, they weren’t concerned about the drive games of any of the Spurs guards so they played tight and impacted the passing angles and in turn Aldridge didn’t get the ball where he wanted it. The same was true with DeRozan. DeRozan would prefer to play the right side of the floor and he never got their easily. He would prefer to post up or settle into his mid-range shots and he wasn’t able to get those.
- The Spurs only shot 2 free throws in the first half and only made 3 three pointers and that makes it nearly impossible to win in the NBA if you aren’t going to shoot threes and you don’t get to the line.
- Royce O’Neale was a defensive star tonight with the effort he put together against DeMar DeRozan.
- The Jazz played offensively with a great deal of force tonight. They have really picked up their tempo recently in how quickly they are getting up the court and on the top of the basket. This started most noticeably in Brooklyn and was evident in both Charlotte and Miami. This is getting them Jazz even better looks and helping the offense get some more opportunities.
- Ricky Rubio came into the game shooting 46% overall and 40% from three over the last 10 games and went 5 for 10 and 2 for 3 from three. He seems to have found a rhythm.
- Donovan Mitchell hit three corner 3 point shots tonight. He was 2 for 15 coming into the game on corner 3 shots. He shot 50% last year.
- Rudy Gobert was great and was +30
- The Spurs are in a vital 7 game stretch v. Western Conference playoff contender and they lost to Minnesota by 39, Houston by 31, beat Portland (who has lost 6 of 7 and 8 of 11) and lost to Utah tonight by 34. They play the Lakers in their next two before playing Utah again. They may have a hard time keeping up with the Lakers speed.
- Jazz have won 4 of 6.
- Jazz set a frachise record with 20 three pointers. They took 12 corner 3s and made 9.
- The Spurs took 52 mid range shots tonight and only took 16 shots at the rim. That is one of the lowest totals of the season.
- Jazz transition defense was great tonight and that has been the biggest problem defensively .
- As good as the Jazz can be. Houston late Thursday.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022