Summary: Great defensive effort gets Kawhi’d in the 4th quarter as Jazz can’t match the Clippers 4th quarter burst.
- The Jazz played a brilliant defensive game for 3 quarters tonight. However, in the 4th quarter the 2x finals MVP Kawhi Leonard was too much for the Jazz. Leonard who was 1 for 9 in the first half. Didn’t really hit is stride in the 3rd Then when it was game time he took over scoring 18 points.
- The Cippers offense was the #1 halfcourt offense in the NBA coming into the game and tonight they scored just .78 pts per 100 possessions in the halfcourt. This is in the 12th percentile of performances this year.
- The Jazz didn’t defensive rebound the misses in the 4th At one point the Clippers had 6 offensive rebound on 8 potential chances. The quarter ended with the Clippers getting 6 offensive rebounds in 10 chances. Kawhi went 6 for 11 and it felt like the Clippers got all of his misses. The Clippers were crashing with 3 guys and the Jazz couldn’t take advantage because they didn’t get the rebounds to be able to run out on the Clippers overcommitting to the offensive glass. This is a bit surprising because Doc Rivers is traditionally a non offensive rebound coach. For the game the Clippers got 39% of all their misses as offensive rebounds.
- The refrain is that we miss Favors in this circumstance, but that doesn’t make sense. Favors didn’t close games last year for the Jazz. The next would be we miss Jae Crowder. Jae Crowder is one of the lowest rebounding percentage players for his position. Thabo had a higher defensive rebounding rate for his career than Jae. Coming into the game the Jazz were the 3rd best defensive rebounding team in the NBA but this is two games in a row where the Jazz had a hard time on the glass and it is going to be a game plan they have to answer.
- Donovan Mitchell was awesome in the 4th He had 17 points on 4 of 6 shooting and made 8 of 10 free throws. Donovan finished the game with 36 points on 21 shots attempts. He hit 11 of 21 from the field and 4 of 6 from three. He is over 50% for the season and 40% from three. He also added 4 rebounds and 6 assists.
- Bojan Bogdanovic had another huge first quarter. He marked 7 points on 3 of 7 shooting and was able to get to the rim with a variety of moves.
- The Clippers won a game where they shot 7 of 32 from three. Talking to Jerry West before the game (yeah I just typed that, I had to) he commented that the Clippers just aren’t hitting shots yet. Pat Beverly was 0 for 5 and has struggled all year. Landry Shamet was 2 for 8 and Kawhi was 2 for 8.
- The Jazz offense struggled again during the middle of the game. They went 14 minutes and scored only 12 points from the first quarter to the 2nd.
- The Jazz closed the first half with the O lineup – With Co, Do, Bo, Jo and Go. They came in with the Jazz trailing 36-30 and by halftime it was Jazz 41-39.
- The Jazz had the game down to 1 with 2:28 left when JaMychl Green hit a three and that sparked the Clippers on a 14 to 4 run to close the game.
- Mike Conley had his 6th poor shooting night in 7 games, shooting 2 for 10. Tonight he had 1 assist and 5 turnovers.
- Jeff Green was -26 in 19 minutes.
- Tony Bradley got rotation minutes tonight and had 8 points and 5 rebounds. However, the Jazz were -14 when h was on the floor.
- Royce O’Neale got his first offensive rebound of the season
- Jazz shot distribution was better tonight with 36% of shots at the rim and 36% of shots as threes
- Jazz didn’t get out and run at all in the this game. Only 7% of their possessions were in transition.
- The Clippers are really good and straight scary with Paul George. They could run away with the West.
JAZZ GAME REWIND- Utah falls to New Orleans after late surge
Recap Utah’s game against New Orleans with Amanda Smith.
POSTCAST – Utah Jazz show slippage in New Orleans in lose to the Pelicans
Utah Jazz fall to the New Orleans Pelicans and David Locke hosts POSTCAST after the game
QUIN SNYDER COACHES SHOW- Utah prepares for New Orleans
David Locke chats with Utah head coach Quin Snyder ahead of tonight’s game versus the Philadelphia 76ers.
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- Utah falls to New Orleans after late surge March 2, 2021
- POSTCAST – Utah Jazz show slippage in New Orleans in lose to the Pelicans March 1, 2021
- QUIN SNYDER COACHES SHOW- Utah prepares for New Orleans March 1, 2021
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday March 1, 2021
- Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show February 27, 2021
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Did Clippers write defensive script? Can Rudy Gobert be more dominant? Cord cutting and buy out market for the Utah Jazz
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dwayne Wade has Donovan Mitchell as All-Star Starter, Previewing the Clippers, Quin Snyder Wednesday
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jordan Clarkson’s vibe and history, Donovan Mitchell’s pass is the fabric of the team
Utah Jazz5 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – More record setting v. Los Angeles Lakers. Utah Jazz shot clock use tells a story