SUMMARY: Jazz wanted to win. Leading them to their largest come from behind win of the year in Detroit.
• The Jazz started terribly. It was Pistons 7-0 at the first timeout. By the end of the first quarter it was 31-13. The Jazz weren’t hitting shots, weren’t making defensive plays and the Pistons had just pummeled the Jazz.
• The Jazz cut the game to 5 by the half but in the first half they lost Dante Exum to a sprained ankle and Thabo Sefolosha to a hamstring strain. Shorthanded the Jazz fell back behind by 10 in the 3rd quarter when they started slowly.
• Rudy Gobert only played 7 minutes of the first half due to foul trouble. The two calls with my the rookie official were awful.
• Then Donovan Mitchell happened. Donovan started the 3rd quarter terribly. He had two turnovers, made some other mistakes and got pulled out of the game. He was 1 for 5 with 2 points. Then he exploded over the next 17 minutes. He finished with 24 points in the 2nd half, his 4th largest 2nd half outburst. He did in array of manners.
• Antonio Lang mentioned at halftime that the Pistons were 29th defending at the rim and the Jazz had to commit to getting to the rim more. Donovan did exactly that.
• The Jazz went on a 19-8 run from the end of the third into the 4th quarter
• Quin Snyder dialed up a huge Kyle Korver three out of a timeout. Again. It took the Jazz from down 84-80 to within 1 and then on the next possession Jae Crowder found Rudy Gobert for a dunk and the Jazz had their first lead of the game with 8:03 left in the 4th quarter
• The Jazz stretched the lead to 99-88 after Korver got another three, Crowder had a dunk and Ingles went to corner for a big three. Pistons made it a little exciting late, but Donovan Mitchell scored 7 straight Jazz points to preserve the win,
• Jae Crowder was 1 for 8 and was +10 it felt like he was +10 and really important in the game.
• Blake Griffin has been unleashed and he is something else, 34 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 steals on 13 of 21 shooting and 3 of 7 from three. That is incredible.
• Jazz had a 109 offensive rating and 104 defensive rating. Not the usual dominating defensive performance. Not easy to win on the road when they have 2 days rest and you are on a back to back.
• Jazz grabbed 88% of the defensive rebounds against one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the NBA
• Raul Neto played 12 very important valuable minutes
• Solid win that the Jazz needed to get. Jazz are now 3-1 in their 4 games against lesser teams. They had won 11 road games.
• The Jazz have the 2nd best efficiency differential in the NBA since the Kyle Korver trade.
Staying above water has been amazing but Jazz are running out of steam and live audience
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, brings you the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz
- Blazers had a great game plan v. the Utah Jazz
- Jazz are amazing to have stayed above water without Donovan and Mike
- However, Jazz are wearing out and a lot is being asked of Joe Ingles and Jordan Clarkson
- Warriors and Blazers were playing playoff games and it showed
- Biggest concern on the Jazz
- Completely freaking out.
Jazz Game Rewind – Jazz offense sluggish as they fall to Blazers
The Utah Jazz fall short to the Portland Blazers, 105-98, as the offense struggled to get into a rhythm while still missing their two All-stars. For a recap of tonight’s action, tune into this edition of Jazz Game Rewind!
POSTCAST – Jazz offense wears down and Dame and CJ have the answers
David Locke and Ron Boone bring you POSTCAST after each Jazz game.
- Staying above water has been amazing but Jazz are running out of steam and live audience May 13, 2021
- Jazz Game Rewind – Jazz offense sluggish as they fall to Blazers May 13, 2021
- POSTCAST – Jazz offense wears down and Dame and CJ have the answers May 13, 2021
- Quin Snyder Coaches Show – Quin on Gobert and guarding Lillard May 12, 2021
- Where do we stand now? Will first round be the hardest for the Jazz? Portland preview May 12, 2021
Utah Jazz6 days ago
POSTCAST – Utah Jazz get massive win over Denver Nuggets and bodacious performance from Bojan
Utah Jazz1 week ago
What former Utah Jazz player not named Stockton or Malone would you put on this Jazz team?
Utah Jazz1 week ago
Bojan Bogdanovic taking advantage, Quin figuring this group out, shot charts
Utah Jazz1 week ago
Length has been impressive defensively, transition defense improvement, live edition