SUMMARY: Jazz wanted to win. Leading them to their largest come from behind win of the year in Detroit.
• The Jazz started terribly. It was Pistons 7-0 at the first timeout. By the end of the first quarter it was 31-13. The Jazz weren’t hitting shots, weren’t making defensive plays and the Pistons had just pummeled the Jazz.
• The Jazz cut the game to 5 by the half but in the first half they lost Dante Exum to a sprained ankle and Thabo Sefolosha to a hamstring strain. Shorthanded the Jazz fell back behind by 10 in the 3rd quarter when they started slowly.
• Rudy Gobert only played 7 minutes of the first half due to foul trouble. The two calls with my the rookie official were awful.
• Then Donovan Mitchell happened. Donovan started the 3rd quarter terribly. He had two turnovers, made some other mistakes and got pulled out of the game. He was 1 for 5 with 2 points. Then he exploded over the next 17 minutes. He finished with 24 points in the 2nd half, his 4th largest 2nd half outburst. He did in array of manners.
• Antonio Lang mentioned at halftime that the Pistons were 29th defending at the rim and the Jazz had to commit to getting to the rim more. Donovan did exactly that.
• The Jazz went on a 19-8 run from the end of the third into the 4th quarter
• Quin Snyder dialed up a huge Kyle Korver three out of a timeout. Again. It took the Jazz from down 84-80 to within 1 and then on the next possession Jae Crowder found Rudy Gobert for a dunk and the Jazz had their first lead of the game with 8:03 left in the 4th quarter
• The Jazz stretched the lead to 99-88 after Korver got another three, Crowder had a dunk and Ingles went to corner for a big three. Pistons made it a little exciting late, but Donovan Mitchell scored 7 straight Jazz points to preserve the win,
• Jae Crowder was 1 for 8 and was +10 it felt like he was +10 and really important in the game.
• Blake Griffin has been unleashed and he is something else, 34 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 steals on 13 of 21 shooting and 3 of 7 from three. That is incredible.
• Jazz had a 109 offensive rating and 104 defensive rating. Not the usual dominating defensive performance. Not easy to win on the road when they have 2 days rest and you are on a back to back.
• Jazz grabbed 88% of the defensive rebounds against one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the NBA
• Raul Neto played 12 very important valuable minutes
• Solid win that the Jazz needed to get. Jazz are now 3-1 in their 4 games against lesser teams. They had won 11 road games.
• The Jazz have the 2nd best efficiency differential in the NBA since the Kyle Korver trade.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday
The Utah Jazz used offensive rebounding to beat the Orlando Magic. The increase in offensive rebounding is a league wide trend due to analytics. Mike Conley and Derrick Favors had interesting comments about playing in Utah in the Athletic article. It is a trend Monday as well.
Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show
If you missed tonight action, I’ll get you caught up in this edition of Jazz Game Rewind! The Utah Jazz struggled in the 1st half, but found their groove in the 2nd, as Donovan Mitchell dropped 25 second half points to lead Utah to a 124-109 victory
POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic
David Locke hosts POSTCAST after each Jazz game tonight the Jazz beat the Magic with thrid quarter surge and Donovan Mitchell commanding 2nd half play.
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday March 1, 2021
- Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show February 27, 2021
- POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic February 27, 2021
- Quin Snyder Coaches Show – Jazz @ Magic February 27, 2021
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Heat Get The Best Of The Jazz The Second Time Around February 26, 2021
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Did Clippers write defensive script? Can Rudy Gobert be more dominant? Cord cutting and buy out market for the Utah Jazz
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dwayne Wade has Donovan Mitchell as All-Star Starter, Previewing the Clippers, Quin Snyder Wednesday
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jordan Clarkson’s vibe and history, Donovan Mitchell’s pass is the fabric of the team
Utah Jazz4 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – More record setting v. Los Angeles Lakers. Utah Jazz shot clock use tells a story