SUMMARY: A night when the Memphis Grizzlies honored Mike Conley for his time with the franchise their new star Ja Morant gave their fans the ultimate cheer
- Jazz offense looked better than it had all season in the opening quarter getting great looks and wide open threes but they weren’t able to knock them down. It was crazy balls were doing deep in the cup and popping out. This is the offense we had been hoping to see, but the shots didn’t fall.
- In the second half the Jazz weren’t making shots but they were living at the free throw line.
- A few times during the game it felt like the Jazz were on the verge of pulling away and when they didn’t it was clear the game was going to wire.
- Memphis is likely the worst team in the Western Conference and they have won three straight with wins on the road at Charlotte and San Antonio and now a home win v. Utah. This may not be true because of Ja Morant and if Golden State sits Steph. This team is pretty good, there are no easy nights in the West.
- Ja Morant is outstanding. He is the best rookie since Donovan. He is taking over games and the best player on the floor for extended periods the way Donovan was three years ago. He has amazing control of the dribble, he has a great wiggle and he can really elevate around the rim. Most impressive, was how smart he was with his choices and his attack
- Mike Conley had a tough night in his return to Memphis. He didn’t get a field goal in 3 attempts in the first quarter and was 2 of 8 in the first half. He hit some big shots late in the game with 6 points and 2 assists in the 4th
- The Jazz 2nd quarter was tough. They took just 6 threes out of 23 shot attempts and shot and only had 2 free throws and had 7 turnovers.
- Rudy Gobert was magnificent again. He was 9 of 11 and had 23 points and 17 rebounds. In the last three games he is now 27 of 32 from the field. He added 9 screen assists
- Donovan had 29 points, 9 rebounds and 5 assists.
- Jazz were 9 of 34 from three.
- Memphis did some nice things late when they played Morant in a pick and roll with the power forward and kept Gobert occupied on the weak side with Jonas Valancinus allowing Morant to have room to drive.
- The Jazz were -11 in the 11 minutes Rudy Gobert was off the floor and had a tough time in pick and roll defense.
- The Jazz defensive rating with Rudy Gobert on the floor was a 96.1 and with him off the floor was a 117.9
- Sure looks like Donovan Mitchell was fouled on the final play
- My overall feeling is there are too many bad offensive possessions, a dribble fest till 11 on the clock and then passing out of the post (happened 3 times) a fast break with open shooters on the wing that are ignored (happened once) mid range jumper too early in the clock. When each of those cost you a little bit by the end of the night it is a bad offensive night.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022