SUMMARY: A night when the Memphis Grizzlies honored Mike Conley for his time with the franchise their new star Ja Morant gave their fans the ultimate cheer
- Jazz offense looked better than it had all season in the opening quarter getting great looks and wide open threes but they weren’t able to knock them down. It was crazy balls were doing deep in the cup and popping out. This is the offense we had been hoping to see, but the shots didn’t fall.
- In the second half the Jazz weren’t making shots but they were living at the free throw line.
- A few times during the game it felt like the Jazz were on the verge of pulling away and when they didn’t it was clear the game was going to wire.
- Memphis is likely the worst team in the Western Conference and they have won three straight with wins on the road at Charlotte and San Antonio and now a home win v. Utah. This may not be true because of Ja Morant and if Golden State sits Steph. This team is pretty good, there are no easy nights in the West.
- Ja Morant is outstanding. He is the best rookie since Donovan. He is taking over games and the best player on the floor for extended periods the way Donovan was three years ago. He has amazing control of the dribble, he has a great wiggle and he can really elevate around the rim. Most impressive, was how smart he was with his choices and his attack
- Mike Conley had a tough night in his return to Memphis. He didn’t get a field goal in 3 attempts in the first quarter and was 2 of 8 in the first half. He hit some big shots late in the game with 6 points and 2 assists in the 4th
- The Jazz 2nd quarter was tough. They took just 6 threes out of 23 shot attempts and shot and only had 2 free throws and had 7 turnovers.
- Rudy Gobert was magnificent again. He was 9 of 11 and had 23 points and 17 rebounds. In the last three games he is now 27 of 32 from the field. He added 9 screen assists
- Donovan had 29 points, 9 rebounds and 5 assists.
- Jazz were 9 of 34 from three.
- Memphis did some nice things late when they played Morant in a pick and roll with the power forward and kept Gobert occupied on the weak side with Jonas Valancinus allowing Morant to have room to drive.
- The Jazz were -11 in the 11 minutes Rudy Gobert was off the floor and had a tough time in pick and roll defense.
- The Jazz defensive rating with Rudy Gobert on the floor was a 96.1 and with him off the floor was a 117.9
- Sure looks like Donovan Mitchell was fouled on the final play
- My overall feeling is there are too many bad offensive possessions, a dribble fest till 11 on the clock and then passing out of the post (happened 3 times) a fast break with open shooters on the wing that are ignored (happened once) mid range jumper too early in the clock. When each of those cost you a little bit by the end of the night it is a bad offensive night.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Quin on Utah Jazz fans, Defense v. Pacers, Offense Sustainabilty and Time Machine Tuesday
The Utah Jazz continue to roll. In what was thought to be a test the Utah Jazz blew out a tired Indiana Pacers team. David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider, breaks down the Jazz defensive performance and the unrelenting offense the Jazz are putting out on a night in and night out basis. Then it is time for Time Machine Tuesday as we go back and find 40 year old men playing 48 minutes and leading the Jazz to an overtime win.
Jazz Game Rewind- Jazz vs Pacers 01/20/20
Recap Utah’s game against the Indiana Pacers with Amanda Smith.
POSTCAST – Utah Jazz blow out the Indiana Pacers. Locke and Boone break it down
The Utah Jazz blow out the Indiana Pacers in a very impressive performance. David Locke and Ron Boone break it down
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – The Astros cheating scandal NBA version and would you be ok as a fan, plus Nets and Time Machine Tuesday
Utah Jazz7 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Holy Cow were the Utah Jazz outstanding last night
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – A meandering Friday show keeps leading back to the Utah Jazz might be really good.
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Are the Utah Jazz who we thought they were? Where do the Jazz project? Donovan Mitchell in the Clutch