Summary: The Jazz start poorly, the Rockets pounced and Harden was amazing it all lead to a Rockets blow out of the Jazz.
- The Jazz opened the night turning the ball over on 4 of their first 8 possessions. The Rockets scored 10 points on those 4 turnovers and that would tell the story of the night. The Jazz trailed 12 to 4 at the first time out.
- Then Harden went nuts. He is incredible. He never misses a read. In Game 1 the Jazz took away the step back and free throws. In the first quarter he had as many step backs and as many free throws as he had all of the first game. I really have no idea how you are supposed to guard him, He was 5 of 11 on step back tonight. He makes those at 40%. You have to take that away but the only way to do that is to play him from behind and force him into a drive.
- He has become the perfect modern player. The league values the three. He can make it at nearly 40%. The league knows you can’t afford to have a 40% three point shooter take 15 to 20 threes a game so you have to play him in this strange manner to force him to drive. Harden would take 20 threes if you let him. No one has ever had his three point shooting step back coupled with his handle and his passing. This just destroys the defense. When you force him to drive he has the floater game and he reads the defense perfectly.
- The Jazz defense failed in transition tonight. According to cleaningtheglass the Rockets averaged 1.7 pts per transition and only .94 in the half court. The .94 is a little above average but the Rockets are usually much better than that in the halfcourt. They are the #2 halfcourt team in the NBA. So the Jazz halfcourt defense was actually ok tonight.
- The Jazz offense is where things should be most concerning. The Jazz were not able to score with regularity against the Rockets in the playoffs last year, they weren’t able to score against them in the regular season and they haven’t been able to score against them tonight.
- The Rockets offense averages about 116 pts per 100 possessions. Even if the Jazz have a great defensive night hey will be around 108 but the Jazz offense v. the Rockets all season has been below 1 point per possessions. Until that is fixed it is hard see a scenario where the Jazz defense can hold the Rockets offense down far enough to win a game.
- The talk around the Rockets is that they are a better team than a year ago. A year ago they won 65 games and were a Chris Paul hamstring or a glutton of missed 3s away from winning the title.
- The Jazz average .74 pts in the half court
- Rubio and Crowder are a combined 2 of 14 on open threes.
- The Jazz came into the night 22 of 100 on above the break three point shots v. the Rockets this year. It continued again tonight as the Jazz shot 6 of 27 on above the break 3 and some of those were late.
- The Jazz have lost the first two games by 52 points. The Rockets look to be capable of winning the title
POSTCAST – Locke and Boone look at the good and bad of Jazz win over Golden State
The Utah Jazz radio team of David Locke and Ron Boone look at the Jazz performance against the Golden State Warriors and try to seperate the good from the bad.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Is it as simple as throwing passes for good offense and Points Gained Friday
Is the Utah Jazz key to success as simple as throwing passes. The numbers say maybe. David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider takes a look at the games where the Jazz have thrown more passes and it correlates to good offensive games. Then it is a points gained Friday and David Locke takes a look at the most positive and negative offensive players in the NBA
POSTCAST – Was it the Jazz or the Wolves? And who would get a game ball?
The Utah Jazz radio team post game show after the Utah Jazz blow out the Minnesota Timberwolves. Was it the Jazz or the Wolves? Who impressed the crew the most?
Utah Jazz3 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Why the Utah Jazz will be ok.
Utah Jazz5 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Donovan to Kemba and Dame, Win over Memphis, OKC tonight, NBA Run Around
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Lakers are better, 2nd unit offense, what would you do as GM?
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Hold onto Chicken Little but real questions need real answers