SUMMARY: The Utah Jazz 4 game win streak comes to an end when the Pesky Pelicans went on a 22-2 run in the 4th quarter to win it 115-112
• The Utah Jazz lead the entire game and were ahead 103-89 with 8:10 left in the game and then the Pelicans went on a 22-2 run.
• The Jazz defensive game plan was built to contain the Pelicans and keep them out of the paint. It didn’t happen the Pelicans took 64 shots in the paint tonight.
• The Jazz offense went from the 8:10 mark of the 4th quarter to the 1:41 mark of the 4th without a field goal. Prior to that the Jazz offense was humming. They had 35 assists on the night. They hit on 14 three point shots. The free throw line is a place where the Jazz have been getting a lot of their points and tonight the Pelicans only allowed the Jazz to get to the line 14 times.
• The Pelicans deserve a lot of credit. They have won three straight games all of the road and all of which they trailed by considerable amounts and fought their way back to win. They trailed by 19 to both the Suns and the Nuggets and 17 tonight. This win might be the most impressive. They already had two wins notched on the trip. They were down 14 with 8:10 left and they could have very easily called it good. Instead, they kept charging and won the game.
• All of this analysis would feel different if Joe Ingles had been able to hold onto a defensive rebound. The Jazz got a stop leading by 1 with 29.4 seconds left but Ingles wasn’t able to control the ball as he turned out of traffic and Elfrid Payton ripped the ball away from Ingles and then corkscrewed a layup over Gobert for the game winner.
• The Jazz stars had been amazing to seemingly win the game for the Jazz. Rudy Gobert had three incredible defensive stops late in the game defending Julius Randle and Jrue Holiday. Donovan Mitchell went in the open court to create offense and brought the Jazz back from down 111-105 to a lead it 112-111 with :43 seconds left.
• That is when Holiday continued his miserable season in the clutch (13 of 52 shooting) and missed with 29 seconds left and the Pelicans stole the rebound.
• That one play changes the narrative from a 5 game win streak and remarkable resiliency and guile. Instead it is a bad loss to the Pelicans making the chances for home court very difficult.
• Since these teams play again on Wednesday the question is whether the Jazz can alter the defensive game plan and find away to keep the Pelicans out of the paint. The Pelicans lead the NBA in points in the paint so they are not the first team that has had this issue.
• This is the first game the Jazz have lost when Kyle Korver had more than 2 three pointers. Korver and Crowder were great off the bench. Both had 20 points and were a combined 9 of 18 from three.
• The Jazz starters looked all night like they had been thru an emotional week and the play of Korver and Crowder was propping them up. With that said, Rudy came to have a bounce back night and had 19 points and 19 rebounds and Favors and Ingles combined for 5 minutes of offensive magic but overall the group didn’t have its usual fire.
• Losses are hard this time of year. Before the night started I projected the Jazz would need to go 17-3 to be certain of home court advantage. 16-4 could get it done but might be a three way tie. This was one that needed to be in the win column for that to happen.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022