EMPTYING THE NOGGIN RETURNS – Jazz fall at home to Minnesota in errily similar fashion to last year
EMPYTING THE NOGGIN
Summary: Minnesota outplays the Utah Jazz for all 48 minutes with an aggressive defense and a transition offense.
- Similar to last year when the Jazz fell early in the year to the Minnesota Timberwolves the Jazz lost tonight 116-111. There are a lot of things to find in tonight’s game but on the simplest form the Jazz will have a hard time winning when their two leading scorers shoot a combined 9 of 39 from the field and 3 of 14 from three.
- The good news is the Jazz showed a lot of offensive adaptation that will serve them well throughout the season. The Wolves really got into the Jazz physically on the high pick and roll and the handoff plays. This was blowing up the Jazz spacing and their ability to get a rhythm. In addition, after watching film of the Jazz taking nearly 30 catch and shoot threes against the Blazers the Wolves didn’t leave any of the Jazz shooters playing the pick and roll with two guys. Their were no passing out for threes in the early part of the game. The Jazz did a nice job adapting by brining the pick and roll down to the baseline and curling Conley and Clarkson into the middle and when the Wolves wouldn’t leave the shooters this game them nice lanes to the basket. Finally, the Jazz put Rudy Gobert on the baseline and let their player drive to the basket and this created offensive rebound opportunities and some driving lanes. If teams aren’t going to leave the shooters the floor should be open for one on one play and the Jazz have much better one on one players than they had a few years ago.
- Defensively the Jazz numbers by the end of the night were alright but in the first half they had a defensive rating of 129 and they allowed Minnesota to be in transition an incredible 28% of their possessions.
- Mike Conley had a great second half brining the Jazz back and scoring 9 straight to open the third quarter. He had 20 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists.
- Rudy Gobert got his 4th foul :30 into the 3rd quarter and that blew up the Jazz rotations. Last year, Towns was only on the floor for 4 minutes when Rudy was off the floor and he had more time tonight than all three games last year.
- Rudy Gobert had 18 points and 17 rebounds.
- The Joe Ingles/Derrick Favors pick and roll yielded nothing tonight in fact its inability to get going in the 1st was when the game swung toward Minneosta.
- Last year when the Jazz lost to Minnesota early in the year Donovan was 5 of 23 tonight he was 6 of 23.
- Donovan is not making the off the bounce three yet. He might have made one making him unofficially 2 for 11 for the season. I will check that to be certain.
- Anthony Edwards is the real deal. Great job by Minnesota on the first pick
- Late in the game they went to Russell on a high pick and roll and each time he went right on the pick and then veered back left into a mid range jumper. He hit 2 on Joe Ingles, missed when guarded by Conley and then hit again when guarded by O’Neale.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022