SUMMARY: Jazz inch another step closer to the playoffs with a 117 to 110 win over the Lakers.
- The Lakers started red hot hitting 8 straight shots and not missing a shot until the 6:29 mark of the 1st quarter but the Jazz offense was good enough to match the Lakers all night and finally take control of the game.
- Ricky Rubio continues his torid play in this playoff push. Tonight he scored 31 points. This is the 5th time in his NBA career he has scored 30 or more points all 5 of them have happened since March 30th of last year. 4 of them this season with the Jazz. Rubio has increased his shooting volume and at the same time had a career high FG% and 3pt%. This is the first time he has had a coach that has given him an entire green light to play with freedom. Over the past 10 games prior to tonight he was averaging 17 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists. He has made over 50% of his three point shots.
- Rubio has worked diligently with coach Igor Kokoskov to engage his hips is his shooting and engage his whole body. It seems to be working. He is playing with immense confidence
- The other thing that has become clear is how much Ricky Rubio understands Quins system. Early this year he was throwing the ball all over the gym with these bizarre crazy passes and now he understands how each play is designed and what Quin’s system is doing to the defense. One play that jumped out tonight was Rubio brought the ball up the court and had the elbow set where two men are waiting at the corner of the free throw line. One was Donovan and the other was Gobert. Rubio went to Donovan’s side and the play is for Donovan to flair back to Gobert’s side where he then gets the ball and a pick from Gobert but instead as Rubio ran off Mitchell he exploded to the basket and the defender had to grab him. This was the first time I had seen him do this. It really is a stress on the defense. Ingles is sitting in the corner so you don’t want to leave him and if Mitchell’s defender stay too attached to Mitchell then Rubio can beat his man and there is no one to help. Rubio didn’t do this earlier this year.
- Derrick Favors was great again tonight. He gives you so many options defensively and is making a ton of plays offensively. What I love is he came into the game as pure power and now there is a subtlety to his game. He is hitting little floaters. He is defending on the perimeter. He makes a ton of plays that others can’t make and lead to winning.
- The Jazz defense never slowed down the Lakers tonight. This was an offensive win.
- Donovan Mitchell is having a historic rookie season. Since 1958 the only rookies who have lead their team and scoring and won more games are Larry Bird (61) in 1979-80, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (56) in 1969-70, David Robinson (56) in 1989-90, Wilt Chamberlin (49) in 1959-60. In the last 20 years the only players that had more games with 20 or 25 points in a game are Blake Griffin and Carmelo Anthony. Tonight was Donovan’s 44th night with 20 or more points tying Kevin Durant’s rookie year.
- Donovan is the 7th player in 20 years to score 20 points a game as a rookie. It is remarkable.
- Rudy Gobert had 5 assists tonight to go with his 12 points, 16 rebounds, 2 steals and 3 blocks. He is crazy good.
- Jazz have 26 of 31. According to fivethiryeight our playoff chances are up to 99%. YEAH !!!!!
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022