SUMMARY: Jazz inch another step closer to the playoffs with a 117 to 110 win over the Lakers.
- The Lakers started red hot hitting 8 straight shots and not missing a shot until the 6:29 mark of the 1st quarter but the Jazz offense was good enough to match the Lakers all night and finally take control of the game.
- Ricky Rubio continues his torid play in this playoff push. Tonight he scored 31 points. This is the 5th time in his NBA career he has scored 30 or more points all 5 of them have happened since March 30th of last year. 4 of them this season with the Jazz. Rubio has increased his shooting volume and at the same time had a career high FG% and 3pt%. This is the first time he has had a coach that has given him an entire green light to play with freedom. Over the past 10 games prior to tonight he was averaging 17 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists. He has made over 50% of his three point shots.
- Rubio has worked diligently with coach Igor Kokoskov to engage his hips is his shooting and engage his whole body. It seems to be working. He is playing with immense confidence
- The other thing that has become clear is how much Ricky Rubio understands Quins system. Early this year he was throwing the ball all over the gym with these bizarre crazy passes and now he understands how each play is designed and what Quin’s system is doing to the defense. One play that jumped out tonight was Rubio brought the ball up the court and had the elbow set where two men are waiting at the corner of the free throw line. One was Donovan and the other was Gobert. Rubio went to Donovan’s side and the play is for Donovan to flair back to Gobert’s side where he then gets the ball and a pick from Gobert but instead as Rubio ran off Mitchell he exploded to the basket and the defender had to grab him. This was the first time I had seen him do this. It really is a stress on the defense. Ingles is sitting in the corner so you don’t want to leave him and if Mitchell’s defender stay too attached to Mitchell then Rubio can beat his man and there is no one to help. Rubio didn’t do this earlier this year.
- Derrick Favors was great again tonight. He gives you so many options defensively and is making a ton of plays offensively. What I love is he came into the game as pure power and now there is a subtlety to his game. He is hitting little floaters. He is defending on the perimeter. He makes a ton of plays that others can’t make and lead to winning.
- The Jazz defense never slowed down the Lakers tonight. This was an offensive win.
- Donovan Mitchell is having a historic rookie season. Since 1958 the only rookies who have lead their team and scoring and won more games are Larry Bird (61) in 1979-80, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (56) in 1969-70, David Robinson (56) in 1989-90, Wilt Chamberlin (49) in 1959-60. In the last 20 years the only players that had more games with 20 or 25 points in a game are Blake Griffin and Carmelo Anthony. Tonight was Donovan’s 44th night with 20 or more points tying Kevin Durant’s rookie year.
- Donovan is the 7th player in 20 years to score 20 points a game as a rookie. It is remarkable.
- Rudy Gobert had 5 assists tonight to go with his 12 points, 16 rebounds, 2 steals and 3 blocks. He is crazy good.
- Jazz have 26 of 31. According to fivethiryeight our playoff chances are up to 99%. YEAH !!!!!
LOCKED ON JAZZ -Facebook Live – Gobert at super max, what does he need to improve and your questions
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider, David Locke, does a live Facebook show with a lot of questions about Rudy Gobert and the super max as well as free agent options. How does the Mike Conley trade happen?
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jae Crowder deep dive and David James joins for more Utah Jazz off-season
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke takes a look at Jae Crowder and his season with the Jazz. Then David James, of 1280 the zone and 97.5 FM joins the show to talk more about the off season and where the Jazz are headed
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Is it Jae Crowder or a stretch 4? David James joins Locke to talk Utah Jazz off-season
The Utah Jazz numbers with Jae Crowder on the floor are awesome. Jae Crowder has the vigor, heart and gumption to lead the Jazz. Is he the reason for those positive numbers or is it simply the Jazz playing a stretch 4? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider takes a look at all the stretch 4 combinations the Jazz have used over the last three years.
Then Locke is joined by morning show host of the Utah Jazz flagship station, 97.5 FM, David James to talk about the Utah Jazz off-season.
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Lindsey/Zanik Promotions, Does CJ mean Kemba would work with Donovan and does Harris stay for that role
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Lottery impact on Mike Conley and Jrue Holliday, the Point Guard Shuffle and Derrick Favors contract details
Utah Jazz6 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Tony Jones joins on Kemba or Tobias plus Kyle Korver season in review
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Live show with questions on free agency, trades and the draft