EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
SUMMARY: The Utah Jazz continue to amaze all of us with their resiliency, perseverance and winning. Today it was season series winning victory over the New Orleans Pelicans.
- This game was hard. The Pelicans have won 10 straight games with Anthony Davis. Last time the Pelicans lost at home with Anthony Davis was against the Jazz on Feb 6th. Anthony Davis is a superstar and was great defensively tonight for the first 3 quarters and the Jazz could get nothing.
- The Jazz lead by 10 early and 29-23 after the 1st By halftime the Jazz offense was really struggling and the Jazz trailed by 3, 51-48. Donovan Mitchell was 1 for 8, Rudy Gobert was 2 for 8, Jae Crowder was 0 for 7 and the Jazz were shooting 33% from the field and 5 of 18 from three.
- The Pelicans stretched the lead to 9, 66-57 with 4:59 left in the 3rd quarter and then the Jazz hit stride and closed the game on a 59-33 run over the final 17:00 to blow out the Pelicans.
- The explosion started when Donovan Mitchell scored 18 points in 2:51 seconds. Mitchell couldn’t get anything going and then he pushed the tempo on a play where Davis wasn’t getting back defensively and got a layup Then Mirotic checked in for Davis and Donovan started attacking the rim time and time again. Then the three started to fall and he took the team from down by 5 to up 7 by the time his barrage was over.
- The Jazz defense was great again. The Pelicans came into the game with the 10th best offense in the NBA. Over the last 10 games they were 9th Tonight they had an offensive rating of about 100. That is below the worst offense in the NBA. The Jazz have held 17 of the last 20 teams to below an offensive rating of 101. The Jazz have held opponents to below 101 in 29 of the 41 games Rudy Gobert has played.
- A ton of this is Rudy. Tonight Jrue Holiday who is making 68.8% of his shots in the restricted area goes 2 for 7. It changes everything.
- Anthony Davis was 40 of his last 99 against the Jazz in games when Rudy Gobert played coming into the game tonight. This evening he went 9 of 22. He is now 49 of his last 121 against the Jazz in games Rudy Gobert played against the him. That is 40%.
- The rest of the Jazz defenders deserve a lot of credit as well . Rubio is playing more aggressive positional defense. Mitchell is developing and had his best defensive game of the year in Indiana. Jae Crowder is a defensively really strong and the lineup with him at the 4 has been terrific.
- Ricky Rubio has never been in a playoff run in his career. He has dropped back to back points/rebound double doubles. Tonight was a 30 points, 10 rebounds, 7 assist night that is as good as any box score in his career. He went 10 of 22 from the field 4 of 5 from three and made all 6 free throws. He had been struggling since all-star break with his shooting. For Rubio, its his 5th 30 point game of his career and all of them coming in this calendar year.
- Derrick Favors got 3 fouls in 6 minutes in the first quarter. Then didn’t play again until the 2nd
- Anthony Davis didn’t score in the 4th
- Nikola Mirotic has not been great for the Pelicans after they gave up a first round draft pick for him. The only two first round picks traded were by Detroit and New Orleans. The Clippers will get a lottery pick from Detroit and we will see what Chicago gets from New Orleans.
- Joe Ingles opened the game brilliantly for the Jazz. He was 2 for 2 on layups on ball fakes in the pick and roll and hit 2 threes. He finished with 20 points, 3 rebounds and 5 assists in 36 minutes.
- Jazz have won 18 of 20 and 11 straight on the road. Still it is going to tough to make the playoffs. I think the Jazz will have to finish at least 10-5 to be able to get in. That is why this win and the Indiana win were so necessary.
The Utah Jazz will not lose Game 6 and here is why
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, brings you the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz.
THE UTAH JAZZ WILL NOT LOSE GAME 6
Game 5 Review – Some anaylsis, some anaylitcs and some fandom about Utah Jazz and Los Angeles Clippers
David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, brings you the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz
* What the Clippers switching and trapping defense is doing to the Utah Jazz?
* The Jazz struggles in isolation are not a surprise
* The Jazz defense is not having an impact on the series
- What are the Clippers running that is negating the jazz defense
- *The Clippers without Kawhi still have three guys that were #1 options on a team and it showed
- * 3 plays early that make you scratch your head
- * Was their a lack of urgency early?
JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Jazz Cant Keep Up Their Hot Start And Lose Game 5
Despite the Clippers losing Kawhi for the series, the Jazz cant keep up their hot start and lose game 5 to go down in the series 2-3.
- The Utah Jazz will not lose Game 6 and here is why June 18, 2021
- Game 5 Review – Some anaylsis, some anaylitcs and some fandom about Utah Jazz and Los Angeles Clippers June 17, 2021
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Jazz Cant Keep Up Their Hot Start And Lose Game 5 June 17, 2021
- QUIN SNYDER COACHES SHOW- Getting Back To Jazz Style Offense June 17, 2021
- POSTCAST – Kawhi-less Los Angeles Clippers still have the answers and beat the Utah Jazz to take 3 to 2 lead in series June 17, 2021
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
Live Show – The Lakers and the King are playoff dead, the Jazz are door is wide open, who are you rooting for
Utah Jazz7 days ago
What is Donovan Mitchell becoming, Utah Jazz answer every call, Not a sustainable way to win
Utah Jazz3 days ago
What are the Los Angeles Clippers doing to the Utah Jazz?
Utah Jazz1 week ago
Donovan Mitchell is doing remarkable things, Rudy Gobert is bending shot charts and 2 plays that changed the game