EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
SUMMARY: The Utah Jazz continue to amaze all of us with their resiliency, perseverance and winning. Today it was season series winning victory over the New Orleans Pelicans.
- This game was hard. The Pelicans have won 10 straight games with Anthony Davis. Last time the Pelicans lost at home with Anthony Davis was against the Jazz on Feb 6th. Anthony Davis is a superstar and was great defensively tonight for the first 3 quarters and the Jazz could get nothing.
- The Jazz lead by 10 early and 29-23 after the 1st By halftime the Jazz offense was really struggling and the Jazz trailed by 3, 51-48. Donovan Mitchell was 1 for 8, Rudy Gobert was 2 for 8, Jae Crowder was 0 for 7 and the Jazz were shooting 33% from the field and 5 of 18 from three.
- The Pelicans stretched the lead to 9, 66-57 with 4:59 left in the 3rd quarter and then the Jazz hit stride and closed the game on a 59-33 run over the final 17:00 to blow out the Pelicans.
- The explosion started when Donovan Mitchell scored 18 points in 2:51 seconds. Mitchell couldn’t get anything going and then he pushed the tempo on a play where Davis wasn’t getting back defensively and got a layup Then Mirotic checked in for Davis and Donovan started attacking the rim time and time again. Then the three started to fall and he took the team from down by 5 to up 7 by the time his barrage was over.
- The Jazz defense was great again. The Pelicans came into the game with the 10th best offense in the NBA. Over the last 10 games they were 9th Tonight they had an offensive rating of about 100. That is below the worst offense in the NBA. The Jazz have held 17 of the last 20 teams to below an offensive rating of 101. The Jazz have held opponents to below 101 in 29 of the 41 games Rudy Gobert has played.
- A ton of this is Rudy. Tonight Jrue Holiday who is making 68.8% of his shots in the restricted area goes 2 for 7. It changes everything.
- Anthony Davis was 40 of his last 99 against the Jazz in games when Rudy Gobert played coming into the game tonight. This evening he went 9 of 22. He is now 49 of his last 121 against the Jazz in games Rudy Gobert played against the him. That is 40%.
- The rest of the Jazz defenders deserve a lot of credit as well . Rubio is playing more aggressive positional defense. Mitchell is developing and had his best defensive game of the year in Indiana. Jae Crowder is a defensively really strong and the lineup with him at the 4 has been terrific.
- Ricky Rubio has never been in a playoff run in his career. He has dropped back to back points/rebound double doubles. Tonight was a 30 points, 10 rebounds, 7 assist night that is as good as any box score in his career. He went 10 of 22 from the field 4 of 5 from three and made all 6 free throws. He had been struggling since all-star break with his shooting. For Rubio, its his 5th 30 point game of his career and all of them coming in this calendar year.
- Derrick Favors got 3 fouls in 6 minutes in the first quarter. Then didn’t play again until the 2nd
- Anthony Davis didn’t score in the 4th
- Nikola Mirotic has not been great for the Pelicans after they gave up a first round draft pick for him. The only two first round picks traded were by Detroit and New Orleans. The Clippers will get a lottery pick from Detroit and we will see what Chicago gets from New Orleans.
- Joe Ingles opened the game brilliantly for the Jazz. He was 2 for 2 on layups on ball fakes in the pick and roll and hit 2 threes. He finished with 20 points, 3 rebounds and 5 assists in 36 minutes.
- Jazz have won 18 of 20 and 11 straight on the road. Still it is going to tough to make the playoffs. I think the Jazz will have to finish at least 10-5 to be able to get in. That is why this win and the Indiana win were so necessary.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Donovan Mitchell on off court legacy, on court development and this year’s Jazz. Craig Bolerjack kicks off preview series
Donovan Mitchell signed his extension and then discussed what he will do with his new found wealth, how his off court legacy is what matters most to him, how is game changed in the bubble and how this year’s group will need to integrate. Then David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, sits down the with voice of the Utah Jazz Craig Bolerjack to discuss the upcoming season and Donovan Mitchell’s development.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Creating the Jazz rotation for the upcoming season and winners and losers of free agency
David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider was very surprised by the structure of the schedule and he talks about why. The Utah Jazz will allow fans in the stands on a limited basis. Locke looks into the rotation of the Utah Jazz and how to put together all of this talent and finally who were the winners and losers of Free Agency.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dark Mode, Western Conference Over Unders where do Utah Jazz sit?
The Utah Jazz revealed dark mode and it was kinda awesome. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider makes his case for a color change for the Utah Jazz. Then he looks at the Western Conference over unders and where the Jazz and the rest of the West sit. Plus, a quick look at the Utah Jazz rotation for the upcoming season.
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Donovan Mitchell on off court legacy, on court development and this year’s Jazz. Craig Bolerjack kicks off preview series November 30, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Creating the Jazz rotation for the upcoming season and winners and losers of free agency November 25, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dark Mode, Western Conference Over Unders where do Utah Jazz sit? November 24, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Mitchell re-signs rookie extension, Favors returns to Utah, Clarkson comes back to lead the Bench November 23, 2020
- BREAKING LOCKED ON JAZZ- The Utah Jazz have signed Derrick Favors and re-signed Jordan Clarkson November 20, 2020
Utah Jazz1 week ago
BREAKING LOCKED ON JAZZ- The Utah Jazz have signed Derrick Favors and re-signed Jordan Clarkson
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Why did the Jazz go big? Who are Udoka Azubuike and Elijah Hughes?
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Mitchell re-signs rookie extension, Favors returns to Utah, Clarkson comes back to lead the Bench
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Free Agency Day. What can the Utah Jazz do? The 7 best listener trades