EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
SUMMARY: The Utah Jazz continue to amaze all of us with their resiliency, perseverance and winning. Today it was season series winning victory over the New Orleans Pelicans.
- This game was hard. The Pelicans have won 10 straight games with Anthony Davis. Last time the Pelicans lost at home with Anthony Davis was against the Jazz on Feb 6th. Anthony Davis is a superstar and was great defensively tonight for the first 3 quarters and the Jazz could get nothing.
- The Jazz lead by 10 early and 29-23 after the 1st By halftime the Jazz offense was really struggling and the Jazz trailed by 3, 51-48. Donovan Mitchell was 1 for 8, Rudy Gobert was 2 for 8, Jae Crowder was 0 for 7 and the Jazz were shooting 33% from the field and 5 of 18 from three.
- The Pelicans stretched the lead to 9, 66-57 with 4:59 left in the 3rd quarter and then the Jazz hit stride and closed the game on a 59-33 run over the final 17:00 to blow out the Pelicans.
- The explosion started when Donovan Mitchell scored 18 points in 2:51 seconds. Mitchell couldn’t get anything going and then he pushed the tempo on a play where Davis wasn’t getting back defensively and got a layup Then Mirotic checked in for Davis and Donovan started attacking the rim time and time again. Then the three started to fall and he took the team from down by 5 to up 7 by the time his barrage was over.
- The Jazz defense was great again. The Pelicans came into the game with the 10th best offense in the NBA. Over the last 10 games they were 9th Tonight they had an offensive rating of about 100. That is below the worst offense in the NBA. The Jazz have held 17 of the last 20 teams to below an offensive rating of 101. The Jazz have held opponents to below 101 in 29 of the 41 games Rudy Gobert has played.
- A ton of this is Rudy. Tonight Jrue Holiday who is making 68.8% of his shots in the restricted area goes 2 for 7. It changes everything.
- Anthony Davis was 40 of his last 99 against the Jazz in games when Rudy Gobert played coming into the game tonight. This evening he went 9 of 22. He is now 49 of his last 121 against the Jazz in games Rudy Gobert played against the him. That is 40%.
- The rest of the Jazz defenders deserve a lot of credit as well . Rubio is playing more aggressive positional defense. Mitchell is developing and had his best defensive game of the year in Indiana. Jae Crowder is a defensively really strong and the lineup with him at the 4 has been terrific.
- Ricky Rubio has never been in a playoff run in his career. He has dropped back to back points/rebound double doubles. Tonight was a 30 points, 10 rebounds, 7 assist night that is as good as any box score in his career. He went 10 of 22 from the field 4 of 5 from three and made all 6 free throws. He had been struggling since all-star break with his shooting. For Rubio, its his 5th 30 point game of his career and all of them coming in this calendar year.
- Derrick Favors got 3 fouls in 6 minutes in the first quarter. Then didn’t play again until the 2nd
- Anthony Davis didn’t score in the 4th
- Nikola Mirotic has not been great for the Pelicans after they gave up a first round draft pick for him. The only two first round picks traded were by Detroit and New Orleans. The Clippers will get a lottery pick from Detroit and we will see what Chicago gets from New Orleans.
- Joe Ingles opened the game brilliantly for the Jazz. He was 2 for 2 on layups on ball fakes in the pick and roll and hit 2 threes. He finished with 20 points, 3 rebounds and 5 assists in 36 minutes.
- Jazz have won 18 of 20 and 11 straight on the road. Still it is going to tough to make the playoffs. I think the Jazz will have to finish at least 10-5 to be able to get in. That is why this win and the Indiana win were so necessary.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022