SUMMARY: Third time is the charm as the Jazz win a grind it out game in Memphis 96-88
- This was a Memphis v. Utah game. The same way seemingly every one of these games has been for years. At the end of one quarter the Jazz lead 20-16. At halftime they trailed 43-40. Finally the top popped off the basket and the game a bit in the third quarter when the Jazz scored 34 points but the 4th quarter was 22-16 quarter with the Jazz prevailing.
- This game was completely dominated by the centers. Marc Gasol is so great defensively. He eliminates all driving lanes. He with help from others never let Rudy roll to the basket. He allows Memphis to cover so many different things. Rudy is incredible. He alters every shot. Tonight he had to deal with Gasol popping out and he still was able to protect the basket. He dominated the boards on the defensive end.
- In the 4th quarter Rudy asserted himself on the offensive end with 10 points. He followed misses, he powered through Gasol to draw a foul. He made touch catches and he was the best player on the floor.
- Rudy showed how much he has grown in that quarter. He is much stronger than he used to be. His balance is greatly improved. This has lead to him making plays he could never have made in the past. Marc Gasol is probably the toughest match-up for Rudy. You can’t match length with him so your only choice is to get into his body, use tricks, move him off his spots and be large. No one is better at that than Marc Gasol.
- For all the why does everyone have a great shooting night against us talk we heard after the Warriors and the Wolves. Memphis went 4 of 24 from three tonight. It evens out over the season.
- Dante Exum had a huge impact on the game tonight. He got into Shelvin Mack and Mike Conley defensively. He picked up nearly full court at times and disrupted what they wanted to do . He had a really poor turnover that lead to a Memphis fast break, Quin called timeout and I thought he might pull him. Instead, Dante came back in the game and made three straight plays that completely altered the game and the tempo of the game. Those plays sparked the Jazz in the 3rd
- Rudy Gobert got his 3rd foul at the 7:47 mark of the 2nd The Jazz went from up 3 to down 3 by halftime. The Jazz are not defending well when Rudy is off the floor so far this year. Last year, they were about 10 points worse, but that still meant they were above average. This year they are also a good deal less good but it makes them a good deal below average. Something to keep an eye on and see if the Jazz can improve.
- Jae Crowder was +10.
- This is a really tough match up for Donovan. When he drove the basket he would run straight into Gasol and Gasol anticipated his moves terrifically. Donovan was forced into his floater and he is a low percentage shooter with the floater and he went 0 for 2 from three. Pretty clear Memphis was not giving him a look tonight.
- Derrick Favors is now 6 of his last 10 from the corner 3. 12 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals and a block shot. That is really awesome. He had another 3 offensive rebounds. Those are important bonus points.
- The Jazz shot 39% and 29% from three and won. That is something not a lot of teams can do.
- The night will forever be remember as Headband Joe night. Joe Ingles got hit in the eye and they couldn’t stop the bleeding. So they took medical tape and just wrapped it across his head so he could keep playing. It is the essence of Joe and the night will be remember for Headband Joe.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday
The Utah Jazz used offensive rebounding to beat the Orlando Magic. The increase in offensive rebounding is a league wide trend due to analytics. Mike Conley and Derrick Favors had interesting comments about playing in Utah in the Athletic article. It is a trend Monday as well.
Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show
If you missed tonight action, I’ll get you caught up in this edition of Jazz Game Rewind! The Utah Jazz struggled in the 1st half, but found their groove in the 2nd, as Donovan Mitchell dropped 25 second half points to lead Utah to a 124-109 victory
POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic
David Locke hosts POSTCAST after each Jazz game tonight the Jazz beat the Magic with thrid quarter surge and Donovan Mitchell commanding 2nd half play.
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday March 1, 2021
- Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show February 27, 2021
- POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic February 27, 2021
- Quin Snyder Coaches Show – Jazz @ Magic February 27, 2021
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Heat Get The Best Of The Jazz The Second Time Around February 26, 2021
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Did Clippers write defensive script? Can Rudy Gobert be more dominant? Cord cutting and buy out market for the Utah Jazz
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dwayne Wade has Donovan Mitchell as All-Star Starter, Previewing the Clippers, Quin Snyder Wednesday
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jordan Clarkson’s vibe and history, Donovan Mitchell’s pass is the fabric of the team
Utah Jazz4 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – More record setting v. Los Angeles Lakers. Utah Jazz shot clock use tells a story