SUMMARY: Third time is the charm as the Jazz win a grind it out game in Memphis 96-88
- This was a Memphis v. Utah game. The same way seemingly every one of these games has been for years. At the end of one quarter the Jazz lead 20-16. At halftime they trailed 43-40. Finally the top popped off the basket and the game a bit in the third quarter when the Jazz scored 34 points but the 4th quarter was 22-16 quarter with the Jazz prevailing.
- This game was completely dominated by the centers. Marc Gasol is so great defensively. He eliminates all driving lanes. He with help from others never let Rudy roll to the basket. He allows Memphis to cover so many different things. Rudy is incredible. He alters every shot. Tonight he had to deal with Gasol popping out and he still was able to protect the basket. He dominated the boards on the defensive end.
- In the 4th quarter Rudy asserted himself on the offensive end with 10 points. He followed misses, he powered through Gasol to draw a foul. He made touch catches and he was the best player on the floor.
- Rudy showed how much he has grown in that quarter. He is much stronger than he used to be. His balance is greatly improved. This has lead to him making plays he could never have made in the past. Marc Gasol is probably the toughest match-up for Rudy. You can’t match length with him so your only choice is to get into his body, use tricks, move him off his spots and be large. No one is better at that than Marc Gasol.
- For all the why does everyone have a great shooting night against us talk we heard after the Warriors and the Wolves. Memphis went 4 of 24 from three tonight. It evens out over the season.
- Dante Exum had a huge impact on the game tonight. He got into Shelvin Mack and Mike Conley defensively. He picked up nearly full court at times and disrupted what they wanted to do . He had a really poor turnover that lead to a Memphis fast break, Quin called timeout and I thought he might pull him. Instead, Dante came back in the game and made three straight plays that completely altered the game and the tempo of the game. Those plays sparked the Jazz in the 3rd
- Rudy Gobert got his 3rd foul at the 7:47 mark of the 2nd The Jazz went from up 3 to down 3 by halftime. The Jazz are not defending well when Rudy is off the floor so far this year. Last year, they were about 10 points worse, but that still meant they were above average. This year they are also a good deal less good but it makes them a good deal below average. Something to keep an eye on and see if the Jazz can improve.
- Jae Crowder was +10.
- This is a really tough match up for Donovan. When he drove the basket he would run straight into Gasol and Gasol anticipated his moves terrifically. Donovan was forced into his floater and he is a low percentage shooter with the floater and he went 0 for 2 from three. Pretty clear Memphis was not giving him a look tonight.
- Derrick Favors is now 6 of his last 10 from the corner 3. 12 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals and a block shot. That is really awesome. He had another 3 offensive rebounds. Those are important bonus points.
- The Jazz shot 39% and 29% from three and won. That is something not a lot of teams can do.
- The night will forever be remember as Headband Joe night. Joe Ingles got hit in the eye and they couldn’t stop the bleeding. So they took medical tape and just wrapped it across his head so he could keep playing. It is the essence of Joe and the night will be remember for Headband Joe.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Creating the Jazz rotation for the upcoming season and winners and losers of free agency
David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider was very surprised by the structure of the schedule and he talks about why. The Utah Jazz will allow fans in the stands on a limited basis. Locke looks into the rotation of the Utah Jazz and how to put together all of this talent and finally who were the winners and losers of Free Agency.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dark Mode, Western Conference Over Unders where do Utah Jazz sit?
The Utah Jazz revealed dark mode and it was kinda awesome. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider makes his case for a color change for the Utah Jazz. Then he looks at the Western Conference over unders and where the Jazz and the rest of the West sit. Plus, a quick look at the Utah Jazz rotation for the upcoming season.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Mitchell re-signs rookie extension, Favors returns to Utah, Clarkson comes back to lead the Bench
Donovan Mitchell has signed his rookie extension with the Utah Jazz and is in the fold for the next 5 years. Derrick Favors returns to fix the problems of last year and Jordan Clarkson leads the bench unit again. David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, takes a look at where this puts the Jazz today and why getting Favors signed and Clarkson to return was so vital to the Jazz
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Creating the Jazz rotation for the upcoming season and winners and losers of free agency November 25, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dark Mode, Western Conference Over Unders where do Utah Jazz sit? November 24, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Mitchell re-signs rookie extension, Favors returns to Utah, Clarkson comes back to lead the Bench November 23, 2020
- BREAKING LOCKED ON JAZZ- The Utah Jazz have signed Derrick Favors and re-signed Jordan Clarkson November 20, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Free Agency Day. What can the Utah Jazz do? The 7 best listener trades November 20, 2020
Utah Jazz5 days ago
BREAKING LOCKED ON JAZZ- The Utah Jazz have signed Derrick Favors and re-signed Jordan Clarkson
Utah Jazz6 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Why did the Jazz go big? Who are Udoka Azubuike and Elijah Hughes?
Utah Jazz5 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Free Agency Day. What can the Utah Jazz do? The 7 best listener trades
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Trade season has started why it will be hard for Jazz to make deals, Desmond Bane has a comp it is a former Utah Jazz player