SUMMARY: Jazz defense clicks in for a dominating 2nd half and Rudy Gobert’s dominance carries the day
• The Jazz defense continues to dominate. They allowed just 35 points in the 2nd half. The Jazz defense of rating was once again under 100 points for 100 possessions. This was the 13th game of the last 17 that the Jazz accomplished this feat. The Jazz defense has been far away the best in the NBA since Dec 12th. Tonight they did it defensively again.
• The Jazz grabbed 90% of all available defensive rebounds. The Jazz have been the #1 defensive rebounding team for the last 20 games and #2 for the season. Andre Drummond is a beast on the offensive glass. The Pistons average grabbing 28% of all available offensive rebounds and tonight they got 10%.
• Rudy Gobert had 22 defensive rebounds and 25 rebounds overall.
• Gobert added 18 points to go with his 25 rebounds as well as 3 assists, 2 blocks and one monumental dunk on Andre Drummond
• The Jazz defense on Blake Griffin was terrific tonight. They made him see a lot of arms and bodies and was never quite sure if it was a double, a dig or a shade toward him. He finished with 19 points on 7 of 17 shooting and he got two three pointers late in the game to pad those numbers and make them look more respectable. Jae Crowder and Derrick Favors did great work on him.
• Donovan Mitchell has had to carry a mammoth load without Ricky Rubio, Dante Exum and Rual Neto. While the offense wasn’t great tonight he did the best he could and lead the Jazz with 28 points and made a bunch of big plays late in the game. After Donovan’s 9 first quarter points the Pistons committed to not let him beat them and was double teaming him throughout the game. He stayed with it and was still able to be the most impactful offensive player.
• Kyle Korver took a season high 14 shots, he only surpassed that once all of last year. He also played a season high 32 minutes. He played 30 or more 4 times last year in Cleveland.
• Grayson Allen came off the bench to give the Jazz a solid 20 minutes that the Jazz desperately needed. He had 8 points and 2 three pointers
• Joe Ingles sprained an ankle to close the first half and played thru that in the 2nd half.
• Ish Smith made the Pistons a much better team than Reggie Jackson did tonight. He changes who they are after being out for 18 games.
• Solid win. 4th in a row. Defense continue to be incredibly dominate.
LOCKED ON JAZZ — Mike Conley speaks and Tony Jones answers how good are the Utah Jazz
It is the final day of the Summer Interview series with Tony Jones. David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, asks the simpliest of questions, How good are the Utah Jazz. Then Tony sloughs off the Houston Rockets and the Los Angeles Lakers and Locke wants to know why Jones doesn’t have them in the top of the West.
Locke opens the show talking about Mike Conley and how he is developing a relationship with Quin Snyder and Donovan Mitchell
LOCKED ON JAZZ — Tony Jones interview series how Westrbook situation impacted Jazz off-season and the move to Bojan
The Utah Jazz 18-19 season will be most remembered the incident with the racism spewed toward Russell Westbook. Looking back at that moment how does Tony Jones digest what took place. Then David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider wonders with Tony on how it impacted the Jazz off-season and its ability to sign players.
The big moment of the off-season was when the Jazz pivoted from Nikola Mirotic to Bojan Bogdonovic. How did it go down and what did it mean for the Jazz off-season.
The Summer Interview series with David Locke and Tony Jones. First, Locke takes a piece of the Full 48 podcast to talk about how the NBA Schedules.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – What derails Lakers and Rockets plus Tony Jones Part 1 of Summer Interview Series
What could derail any of the contenders in the West? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider thinks it could be lack of defense. Locke looks at the Los Angeles Lakers and the Houston Rockets to see if they can defend. Then Locke is joined by Tony Jones of the Athletic to talk about the play of Donovan Mitchell in Vegas and what pushes him to the next step as well as how the make up of this team is formed with all the new pieces.
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Mitchell at team USA and why he is about the break out plus Thurl Bailey in Summer Interview Series
Utah Jazz5 days ago
Special Edition Live Utah Jazz Schedule Release Program
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Thurl Bailey on Donovan Mitchell year 3 and Rudy Gobert’s role plus Bojan’s game
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Coal in your Christmas Stocking and Thurl Bailey on the Summer Interview