SUMMARY: Jazz defense clicks in for a dominating 2nd half and Rudy Gobert’s dominance carries the day
• The Jazz defense continues to dominate. They allowed just 35 points in the 2nd half. The Jazz defense of rating was once again under 100 points for 100 possessions. This was the 13th game of the last 17 that the Jazz accomplished this feat. The Jazz defense has been far away the best in the NBA since Dec 12th. Tonight they did it defensively again.
• The Jazz grabbed 90% of all available defensive rebounds. The Jazz have been the #1 defensive rebounding team for the last 20 games and #2 for the season. Andre Drummond is a beast on the offensive glass. The Pistons average grabbing 28% of all available offensive rebounds and tonight they got 10%.
• Rudy Gobert had 22 defensive rebounds and 25 rebounds overall.
• Gobert added 18 points to go with his 25 rebounds as well as 3 assists, 2 blocks and one monumental dunk on Andre Drummond
• The Jazz defense on Blake Griffin was terrific tonight. They made him see a lot of arms and bodies and was never quite sure if it was a double, a dig or a shade toward him. He finished with 19 points on 7 of 17 shooting and he got two three pointers late in the game to pad those numbers and make them look more respectable. Jae Crowder and Derrick Favors did great work on him.
• Donovan Mitchell has had to carry a mammoth load without Ricky Rubio, Dante Exum and Rual Neto. While the offense wasn’t great tonight he did the best he could and lead the Jazz with 28 points and made a bunch of big plays late in the game. After Donovan’s 9 first quarter points the Pistons committed to not let him beat them and was double teaming him throughout the game. He stayed with it and was still able to be the most impactful offensive player.
• Kyle Korver took a season high 14 shots, he only surpassed that once all of last year. He also played a season high 32 minutes. He played 30 or more 4 times last year in Cleveland.
• Grayson Allen came off the bench to give the Jazz a solid 20 minutes that the Jazz desperately needed. He had 8 points and 2 three pointers
• Joe Ingles sprained an ankle to close the first half and played thru that in the 2nd half.
• Ish Smith made the Pistons a much better team than Reggie Jackson did tonight. He changes who they are after being out for 18 games.
• Solid win. 4th in a row. Defense continue to be incredibly dominate.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – President’s Weekend Edition – Where the West Stands, Jazz rotations and more plus Points Gained
The All-Star break is here and David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider has what to look for in the 2nd half of the season in the Western Conference teams and their schedule.
Then Locke takes your questions largely about rotations and combinations that the Utah Jazz are playing or could play. Then it is time for Points Gained.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Warriors recap, guys stepping up and where the Utah Jazz stand at the break
The Utah Jazz played their final game prior to the All-Star break and lost to the Golden State Warriors. The Jazz showed a lot of fight and grit. Two players in particular continue to be superb.
The Warriors also showed the World Champion approach and got brilliant stretches from Draymond Green and Steph Curry.
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, takes a look at where the Jazz stand as we hit the all-star break and what they have ahead.
POSTCAST – Jazz show grit Warriors show World Champ chops
Utah Jazz radio post game show about the Utah Jazz battle with the Golden State Warriors
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Impact of the Tobias Harris deal, rumors and Utah Jazz decisions
Utah Jazz1 week ago
EMPTYING THE NOGGIN – Jazz buck the Spurs in a blow out win
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Korver impact v. best teams. Two most interesting trade discussions and Time Machine Tuesday
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – A Trade-less deadline for the Utah Jazz