SUMMARY: Donovan Mitchell 4th quarter overcomes sketchy offensive night for the Utah Jazz in an opening night win.
- Donovan Mitchell was amazing in the 4th After not taking a shot in the 1st quarter, Mitchell added 10 in the 2nd quarter, 8 in the 3rd quarter before exploding for his first double double (with rebound) of his career. Donovan finished with 32 points and 12 rebounds with 14 points and 7 rebounds coming in the 4th quarter
- The Jazz hunted out Danillo Gallinari and got him matched up on Donovan Mitchell on Gallinari and he beat him badly numerous times to the rim. Then with the game on the line Thunder subbed in a defensive minded player onto Donovan and instead the Jazz ran a traditional pick and roll and with Adams dropping (a change in how OKC plays pick and roll Defense) Mitchell found space at 18 feet and buried the jumper.
- The Jazz offense never looked like the Jazz offense tonight. It might have been because Mike Conley had such an unusual shooting night. Conley missed a bunch of open threes in the first quarter and it snowballed into the worst shooting night of his career going 1 for 16. He was 0 for 5 in the first quarter on good looks.
- Rudy Gobert was a dominating defensive force tonight. In the first quarter Steven Adams went 0 for 5 and had any offensive impact on the game. The Jazz defense was great in the 1st and 4th quarters tonight. They held the Thunder to 12 points in the first quarter on 5 of 21 shootng and forced the Thunder into 15 mid range shots.
- OKC shot 7 of 20 at the rim tonight.
- Donovan had his first field goal at the 6:29 mark of the 2nd
- Jazz only took 25% of their shots as threes.
- Mike Conley and Bojan Bogdanovic both showed their teammates who they are as people and players tonight. Mike Conley hit a free throw late in the game and in a self deprecated fashion mocked himself to the crowd. This brought a laugh from the fans. Bojan Bogdanovic turned his ankle badly in the 2nd quarter and looked like he was going to be done for a while. Instead he opened the 2nd half in the starting lineup and played well in the 2nd
- Emmanuel Mudiay had a really solid debut for the Jazz. He may have been the key to the game. Mudiay played 23 solid minutes and defended well plus added an offensive bonce with 12 points and 5 assists.
- Donovan was really spectacular tonight. He was relentless. His desire to win is off the charts.
- Game was slow paced at 100 possessions, right about league average last year. Thunder offense was below a point a possession which wins you game at nearly a 90% rate. Though Jazz were as well.
- For a night the defensive worries are over and now we can worry about the offense, but worries off a win are good worries.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Was it another slight to the Utah Jazz? Donovan and Rudy picked last plus live audience questions
The Utah Jazz all-stars were picked last by LeBron James and Kevin Durant. Was this conscience by the two stars? Was this telling Utah to stay in their hierarchy of the NBA? Was this just fun? It all feels like another slight to the Utah Jazz in a remarkable season. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider takes a look at all the options and interacts with a live audience
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Utah Jazz with a flurry of furious comments, great game v. Sixers, Twitter Thursday
The Utah Jazz fell in overtime to the Philadelphia 76ers and both Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert had strong comments after the game. David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider takes a look at those comments and where they come from plus a breakdown of a great game between two of the NBA best teams. Finally it is a Twitter Thursday and some great questions came in about style of play late, lineup choices late in the game and more.
JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Jazz Battled In Their Last Game Before the Break
The Jazz lost a tough one in overtime to the 76ers to close out the first half of the season. Here is a recap of how it all went down in Philadelphia.
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Was it another slight to the Utah Jazz? Donovan and Rudy picked last plus live audience questions March 5, 2021
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Utah Jazz with a flurry of furious comments, great game v. Sixers, Twitter Thursday March 4, 2021
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Jazz Battled In Their Last Game Before the Break March 3, 2021
- QUIN SNYDER COACHES SHOW- Donovan Is Letting The Game Come To Him March 3, 2021
- POSTCAST – Overtime loss to the Sixers sends the Jazz to break with some fury March 3, 2021
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – More record setting v. Los Angeles Lakers. Utah Jazz shot clock use tells a story
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert are all-star, Mike Conley left off again, previewing the Lakers
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – In depth breakdown of Jazz blitz of the Hornets, Mike Conley’s All-Star chances and Power Ranking Tuesday
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – 30 games in and status check on Utah Jazz. Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert are better.