SUMMARY: It will be remembered as the Derrick Rose night. The former MVP Derrick Rose went back into a time machine and scored a career high 50 points leading the Wolves to a win over the Utah Jazz.
- Solely viewed inside the capsule of sports this was a pretty amazing night. Derrick Rose was at one point at the pinnacle of sports. One year ago he left the Cleveland Cavaliers because he no longer had the internal fight left to still play the game thru all of his injuries. In between, he tore his ACL, had numerous other knee surgeries and was at the nadir of basketball. For this night he took out 6 years of tumultuousness and channeled into a brilliant virtuoso experience. His post-game tears and emotion were a genuine representation of that struggle.
- I feel it needs to be mentioned that I am not sure Derrick Rose can be viewed only inside the basketball capsule. His civil trial last summer in Los Angeles was disturbing and disgusting. His claim that he didn’t understand what consent was when he was on the stand is hard to forget. I only point this out because I have a hard time with 50 points = good guy narrative. Inside the basketball capsule the night was one perspective when including the off the court issue some of the praise is harder to disperse.
- The 3rd quarter is when Derrick Rose got rolling. The Wolves just pounded the Jazz with the Derrick Rose and Karl Anthony-Towns pick and roll. When Derrick Rose is making his pull up mid range jump shot this becomes incredibly hard to defend. Towns is a bonafide catch and shoot threat as a 5 and that is hard for the Jazz. It pulls Gobert out from the rim. The guard has to drop and try to keep Rose off the rim and when he is making his mid range shot that becomes really tough. When Rose is going this is as good a pick and roll combo as there is. It was too much tonight.
- The Jazz tried Dante for a long time, they tried Ricky. However, none of them slowed Rose down.
- Jazz offense was really good to be able to be in this game until the end. The offensive rebounding was a large part of the Jazz offensive success tonight.
- The high pass was going early but they couldn’t get to it later in the game.
- Donovan Mitchell had 16 in the 3rd quarter to go head to head with Derrick Rose who had 19 in the 3rd However, with about 5 minutes left Donovan Mitchell left the game with right hamstring tightness and didn’t return.
- The Jazz offense had some tough possessions late in the game, namely one which ended in a Rudy Gobert 8 foot hook shot.
- Dante Exum did some really nice things tonight. He slowed down on a fast break allowing Joe Ingles to trail and hit Ingles on a pass for a wide open three. Then on a pick and roll he held the ball in the pocket and froze the defense before wrapping a pass around to Derrick Favors. Dante has to learn how to play in a speed other than full blast. He showed signs of this and then on his two drives to the basket he was wide open for a layups.
- Ricky Rubio had 6 turnovers. Minnesota is #1 in the NBA in deflections.
- Minnesota is #1 in transition and they got that rolling in the first half
- Josh Okogie was impressive. He defended Donovan really well and made a bunch of plays in his time on the floor.
- The great thing about the NBA is that the game allows the greatest players to take over. There are no intentional walks, you can’t clog the box with 10 defenders. The rules make it so greatness can prevail. For the first time in 6 years Derrick Rose felt that greatness.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022