SUMMARY: Jazz were unable to stop the Memphis half court offense and fell to the Grizzlies at home.
- Surprisingly the Utah Jazz have started the year 0-3 at home with 2 losses to the Grizzlies
- More surprisingly the Grizzlies have opened the year 5-2.
- Even more surprisingly, the Utah Jazz defense was not able to get stops against the Memphis Grizzlies offense.
- In the pre-game talk Memphis coach JB Bickerstaff talked about how what he wanted on each possessions was getting his best two players in to a two man game with space on every possession. It simplifies the game and is so accurate. The unique thing the Grizzlies did is at times that space was in the middle of the floor with guys spaced on each side. At other times they ran the two man game on the side of the floor with 3 players over loading the other side of the floor.
- With a 2 man game being played in space the difficulty got to be how you deal with Marc Gasol and his ability to pop out to the three point line. Gasol is shooting 50% on threes this season. When he pops the Jazz have two choices. One is to have Gobert try to stay with Gasol and now your shot blocker is out at 25 feet. Your other choice is to switch and now Gobert is stuck in space on the point guard. Neither is a great option.
- The end result is that in back to back games the Jazz have faced stretch 5s, Karl Anthony Towns and Marc Gasol, and in both games the opposing guards have had mammoth games. Derrick Rose had 50 and Mike Conley and Shelvin Mack combined for 47. My thought is this is all related. That when Gobert has to stay with the big it doesn’t leave a rim protector to help defensively.
- According to Cleaning the Glass the Grizzlies half court offense tonight ranked in the 97th percentile of all half court performances this season
- The Jazz offense was pretty strong tonight. It feel apart when Ricky Rubio got his 4th foul early in the 3rd The Jazz were un able to get in their offense when Rubio went out of the game. Quin was forced to go back to Rubio with 4 fouls mid way thru the third and that settled things a bit.
- Considering the Jazz were without Donovan Mitchell and Alec Burks I would have been really pleased before the game if you told me this was the offensive performance of the Jazz. I wouldn’t have anticipated the Grizzlies to have a 120 offensive rating.
- Ricky Rubio got it going early which was great. He had struggled in the past against Conley so this was great to see him get his offensive vibe going. He had 22 points, 2 rebounds and 11 assists. The 4th foul that knocked him out of the game seemed like a really tough call. Ricky Rubio was +10 in a 10 point loss.
- Jazz finished 2 of 8 on corner 3, only got one attempt in the 2nd half
- Memphis takes away the Rudy Gobert roll. He had 1 shot attempt in the first half which was the same amount he had in the first meeting. The Grizzlies bring a third guy into who is bumping Rudy while Marc Gasol is playing back in the paint. It should leave someone open. The Jazz got 36 three point attempts.
- Denver game is going to be brutal. 6th game in 6 cities.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022