SUMMARY: Jazz were unable to stop the Memphis half court offense and fell to the Grizzlies at home.
- Surprisingly the Utah Jazz have started the year 0-3 at home with 2 losses to the Grizzlies
- More surprisingly the Grizzlies have opened the year 5-2.
- Even more surprisingly, the Utah Jazz defense was not able to get stops against the Memphis Grizzlies offense.
- In the pre-game talk Memphis coach JB Bickerstaff talked about how what he wanted on each possessions was getting his best two players in to a two man game with space on every possession. It simplifies the game and is so accurate. The unique thing the Grizzlies did is at times that space was in the middle of the floor with guys spaced on each side. At other times they ran the two man game on the side of the floor with 3 players over loading the other side of the floor.
- With a 2 man game being played in space the difficulty got to be how you deal with Marc Gasol and his ability to pop out to the three point line. Gasol is shooting 50% on threes this season. When he pops the Jazz have two choices. One is to have Gobert try to stay with Gasol and now your shot blocker is out at 25 feet. Your other choice is to switch and now Gobert is stuck in space on the point guard. Neither is a great option.
- The end result is that in back to back games the Jazz have faced stretch 5s, Karl Anthony Towns and Marc Gasol, and in both games the opposing guards have had mammoth games. Derrick Rose had 50 and Mike Conley and Shelvin Mack combined for 47. My thought is this is all related. That when Gobert has to stay with the big it doesn’t leave a rim protector to help defensively.
- According to Cleaning the Glass the Grizzlies half court offense tonight ranked in the 97th percentile of all half court performances this season
- The Jazz offense was pretty strong tonight. It feel apart when Ricky Rubio got his 4th foul early in the 3rd The Jazz were un able to get in their offense when Rubio went out of the game. Quin was forced to go back to Rubio with 4 fouls mid way thru the third and that settled things a bit.
- Considering the Jazz were without Donovan Mitchell and Alec Burks I would have been really pleased before the game if you told me this was the offensive performance of the Jazz. I wouldn’t have anticipated the Grizzlies to have a 120 offensive rating.
- Ricky Rubio got it going early which was great. He had struggled in the past against Conley so this was great to see him get his offensive vibe going. He had 22 points, 2 rebounds and 11 assists. The 4th foul that knocked him out of the game seemed like a really tough call. Ricky Rubio was +10 in a 10 point loss.
- Jazz finished 2 of 8 on corner 3, only got one attempt in the 2nd half
- Memphis takes away the Rudy Gobert roll. He had 1 shot attempt in the first half which was the same amount he had in the first meeting. The Grizzlies bring a third guy into who is bumping Rudy while Marc Gasol is playing back in the paint. It should leave someone open. The Jazz got 36 three point attempts.
- Denver game is going to be brutal. 6th game in 6 cities.
The Utah Jazz will not lose Game 6 and here is why
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, brings you the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz.
THE UTAH JAZZ WILL NOT LOSE GAME 6
Game 5 Review – Some anaylsis, some anaylitcs and some fandom about Utah Jazz and Los Angeles Clippers
David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, brings you the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz
* What the Clippers switching and trapping defense is doing to the Utah Jazz?
* The Jazz struggles in isolation are not a surprise
* The Jazz defense is not having an impact on the series
- What are the Clippers running that is negating the jazz defense
- *The Clippers without Kawhi still have three guys that were #1 options on a team and it showed
- * 3 plays early that make you scratch your head
- * Was their a lack of urgency early?
JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Jazz Cant Keep Up Their Hot Start And Lose Game 5
Despite the Clippers losing Kawhi for the series, the Jazz cant keep up their hot start and lose game 5 to go down in the series 2-3.
- The Utah Jazz will not lose Game 6 and here is why June 18, 2021
- Game 5 Review – Some anaylsis, some anaylitcs and some fandom about Utah Jazz and Los Angeles Clippers June 17, 2021
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Jazz Cant Keep Up Their Hot Start And Lose Game 5 June 17, 2021
- QUIN SNYDER COACHES SHOW- Getting Back To Jazz Style Offense June 17, 2021
- POSTCAST – Kawhi-less Los Angeles Clippers still have the answers and beat the Utah Jazz to take 3 to 2 lead in series June 17, 2021
Utah Jazz1 week ago
What is Donovan Mitchell becoming, Utah Jazz answer every call, Not a sustainable way to win
Utah Jazz3 days ago
What are the Los Angeles Clippers doing to the Utah Jazz?
Utah Jazz1 week ago
Donovan Mitchell is doing remarkable things, Rudy Gobert is bending shot charts and 2 plays that changed the game
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
Who are the Los Angeles Clippers and how have they changed? Looking back at regular season match-ups