SUMMARY: Jazz defense exposed all of Phoenix weaknesses in a 120-102 blowout of the Suns in pre-season game #4
- If the Jazz are going to be good this year they will need to do two things they did tonight. First, they will need to be good defensively when Rudy Gobert is off the floor. Second, they will need to take advantage of inferior teams.
- Last year, when the Jazz went to Derrick Favors and Joe Johnson as the frontcourt the defense was a wreck. The defensive rating was 126, league average is about 106.5 and the worst in the league is 112. Overall the defense was 107.5 when Gobert was off the floor. Tonight, Derrick Favors and Epke Udoh had terrific defensive nights.
- Derrick Favors is able to play the pick and roll much more aggressively than Rudy Gobert. With Gobert’s ability to defend the rim when he is involved in a pick and roll you want him to drop back toward the basket. When Favors is involved he can step up and play even to the screen or even a step above the screen and really impact the ball handler. He did that tonight and it caused Eric Bledsoe and Devin Booker a great deal of discomfort. It helps that the Suns don’t have a great, roll big or great passers.
- The Jazz dominated this game with their defense, exposing the weaknesses of the Suns. The Suns are not good passers. The Jazz forced 31 turnovers. The Jazz defense was rotating very well and getting into the passing lanes as well as anticipating the next pass. At the same time, Phoenix is not a good passing team and too often start to pass with no idea where it is going.
- The Jazz are going to need to beat bad teams this year. Moreover, they are going to have to dominate them defensively. The Jazz roster is deep, but it doesn’t have anyone who can carry the load for a night while the other guys get a break. Instead, the Jazz will have to bring high level effort each night and most of all when playing inferior teams.
- Ricky Rubio stole a pass on the opening possession of the game and took it for a layup. It ignited the Jazz defense and Rubio’s offense. Rubio scored 9 straight points to open the game and 20 in the first half of 8 of 10 shooting.
- Epke Udoh is really good defensively. He had a steal out on the floor where he reached in and stole a ball from Bledsoe and he is regularly blocking shots that no one anticipates. He is not tall, but he is long and it is as though offensive players don’t expect him to get to some of the shots he is able to alter or block.
- Raul Neto played the majority of the back up point guard moments. Quin Snyder said on the pre-game show he doesn’t want to burden Mitchell with the point guard responsibilities. Donovan Mitchell joined our post game show and said playing the point changes his mentality entirely from playing the shooting guard.
- Alec Burks got the back up three minutes in the first half
- Tony Bradley has learned a nice floater around the rim. He has a very good quick release on the shot.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022