SUMMARY: For the first time this season, the Utah Jazz’s defense was unable to impact an opponent and the Jazz fell 109-100 to the Toronto Raptors.
- The Jazz defense has been dominant all season. They have held every opponent below their season average, but couldn’t tonight. The Jazz were never able to put the clamps down on the Raptors whose offense made a ton of shots.
- The Raptors’ offensive rating was 117.5 and their effective field goal percentage was 61.3%. This is an unreal offensive night against an elite defense. The Jazz have played great offensive teams this year and this is the first one that was able to shred the Jazz defense.
- DeMar DeRozan was the main star for the Raptors tonight; He had 37 points including 17 in the third quarter. He went 14 of 14 from the line. He has added the 3-point shot to his game and hit 3 of 7; Eight attempts is his career high.
- The Raptors have an awesome rotation. They start with DeRozan and Lowry — two of the best scorers in the league — then they play DeRozan with four bench guys for a period of time and let him carry the game. An athletic group of long, athletic athletes take over for a period of time before Lowry returns and carries the game for a few minutes before closing the half with both of their All-Stars.
- The Raptors’ second unit is made up of players with two or fewer years’ experience who play hard and fast.
- Donovan Mitchell led the Jazz in scoring with 25 points. He was the one guy who was able to go get a bucket on the Jazz roster. The highlight of the night was a nifty spin move to the basket for a layup. Mitchell was 9 of 20 from the field and 3 of 7 from 3, and perhaps the most significant, he didn’t have a turnover.
- Mitchell really struggled at the rim the first few games, but since then has figured out how to navigate in the trees to get shots off at the basket. He will be moving to the top of the scouting report and it will be interesting to see what happens when the league digs into his tendencies.
- Ricky Rubio’s shooting lost its shine for a night; He was 3 for 12.
- Rodney Hood looked like he was bouncing back from his 0 for 11 night, but an 0 for 6 fourth quarter pushed his shooting numbers the wrong direction for 6 of 19. He is now 6 for his last 30.
- Joe Ingles put up another elegant box score: 11 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists and 2 steals.
- The Jazz have done a better job controlling the turnovers in the last three games.
- The Jazz’s offensive rating tonight was a 107.5. They will win most games with this type of offensive performance. They won’t win games with a defensive rating of 117.5.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022