SUMMARY: Raptors run by the Jazz for an impressive 124-111 win giving the Jazz their 4th straight loss.
- The Jazz lost their 4th straight at home and their 4th straight overall in a blow loss to the Toronto Raptors. The final score is not indicative of the margin in this game.
- The Jazz were playing without Donovan Mitchell and had a miserable time trying to score after the first quarter.
- The Jazz led the game 31-30 at the end of the 1st They jumped out early. Royce O’Neale started in place of Donovan Mitchell and ran the floor terrifically early in the game. He got some early baskets and made plays with his speed that the Jazz hadn’t been making all season.
- The Jazz shot an incredible 13 shots at the rim in the first quarter.
- Then midway through the 2nd quarter it became obvious the Raptors were taking control of the game. With about 5:00 left in the 2nd it was obvious there was too much time left in the half and sure enough the Raptors went on a 27-10 lead . The Jazz couldn’t make shots they were 1 of 12 from three at the half. They had gotten to the rim a ton, but missed everything else.
- The Raptors have two weaknesses, they are not great in transition defense and they don’t guard the ball handler on the pick and roll very well. Without Donovan Mitchell that meant Joe Ingles and Ricky Rubio had to take advantage. At the half, Rubio was 1 for 7 and Joe was 2 for 7. Without Donovan Jae Crowder becomes your third scorer and he was 1 for 7 and 0 for 5 from three. Rubio is now shooting 32% on the season and 30% from three.
- The Raptors were taking these misses and sprinting down the floor for easy baskets. Lead by Pascal Siakam, who is crazy fast and Kyle Lowry they got to the rim time and time again. According to Cleaning the Glass at halftime the Raptors were averaging 1.8 points per transition. Then it compounds itself because the Raptors are scoring everytime and then the Jazz are in the halfcourt without Donovan Mitchell.
- The third quarter opened with the Jazz committing 4 turnovers and the Raptors converted that into 11 points and the night was over.
- There are three factors here and they all built on themselves. The Jazz couldn’t make shots. Thru three quarter the Jazz were 2 of 17 from three and shooting 41% overall. This lead to a ton of transition opportunities for a team that uses 21% of their possessions in transition. The Jazz couldn’t get stops in transition. This was not freedom of movement rules, this was running downhill down your throat. Which comes first.
- If the Jazz have Donovan and are they making more shots because Donovan taxes the defense and then Ingles and Rubio aren’t stretching beyond their usual role then would the transition defense be better. Not clear.
- The other part of this is the Raptors aren’t great in transition defense but when they are running off your misses the whole game and scoring then you are not going to get transition.
- The final and important factor here is the Raptors are great. They will win the East by as many as 10 games. They are by far the best team in the East.
- Alec Burks was back tonight and without Donovan Mitchell he is the only one who can score. Burks had 12 points in the first 3 quarters and added 8 in the meaningless 4th He has become a very good catch and shoot player.
- Hard schedule for the Jazz along with a few injuries has rocked this team a bit and it doesn’t get any easier for a while. This is a tough stretch.
Quin Snyder Coaches Show – Jazz @ Clippers Game 6
Tune in prior to tip-off as Utah Jazz head coach Quin Snyder sits down with David Locke to preview Game 6 of these playoffs!
The Utah Jazz will not lose Game 6 and here is why
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, brings you the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz.
THE UTAH JAZZ WILL NOT LOSE GAME 6
Game 5 Review – Some anaylsis, some anaylitcs and some fandom about Utah Jazz and Los Angeles Clippers
David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, brings you the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz
* What the Clippers switching and trapping defense is doing to the Utah Jazz?
* The Jazz struggles in isolation are not a surprise
* The Jazz defense is not having an impact on the series
- What are the Clippers running that is negating the jazz defense
- *The Clippers without Kawhi still have three guys that were #1 options on a team and it showed
- * 3 plays early that make you scratch your head
- * Was their a lack of urgency early?
- Quin Snyder Coaches Show – Jazz @ Clippers Game 6 June 18, 2021
- The Utah Jazz will not lose Game 6 and here is why June 18, 2021
- Game 5 Review – Some anaylsis, some anaylitcs and some fandom about Utah Jazz and Los Angeles Clippers June 17, 2021
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Jazz Cant Keep Up Their Hot Start And Lose Game 5 June 17, 2021
- QUIN SNYDER COACHES SHOW- Getting Back To Jazz Style Offense June 17, 2021
Utah Jazz1 week ago
What is Donovan Mitchell becoming, Utah Jazz answer every call, Not a sustainable way to win
Utah Jazz3 days ago
What are the Los Angeles Clippers doing to the Utah Jazz?
Utah Jazz1 week ago
Donovan Mitchell is doing remarkable things, Rudy Gobert is bending shot charts and 2 plays that changed the game
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
Who are the Los Angeles Clippers and how have they changed? Looking back at regular season match-ups