A few thoughts on the Golden State Warriors game 1 win over the Houston Rockets
- BIG PICTURE: This was a dominating performance by the Golden State Warriors. All the items that were going to give them the edge in this series showed up in this series. Kevin Durant is simply unguardable. The Rockets lack of transition defense is going to be there Achilles heel. Interestingly, Rockets took away a lot of what the Warriors wanted to do, but the Warriors were still too good with too many options.
- Klay Thompson got a ton of looks early or in transition. The Rockets are not a good transition defensive team, 23rd in the NBA this year and the Warriors got a ton of early transition looks and Klay Thompson is the benefactor of most of them.
- Chris Paul had a terrible game. He got into with Kevin Durant late in the 2nd quarter and never seemed to be the same after that. He had two massive defensive breakdowns late in the 2nd quarter costing the Rockets 5 points. He didn’t execute the Rockets switching defense and allowed Klay Thompson and open 3 and Nick Young an open 3. Then at a key moment of the 4th quarter he never came back defensively and allowed a wide open 3 to Klay Thompson. The Warriors are too good to make those mistakes. I posted all three at @lockedonsports at twitter.
- Can’t imagine what Warriors teammates think about Draymond when he is on the verge of getting ejected the entire first half.
- Rockets were best team in the NBA defending the off ball screen and allowed the fewest. Warriors got almost none in this game.
- James Harden gets the step back in Game 1 of each series and it is unreal. Teams adjust and that goes away after game 1. Minnesota eliminated it and so did Utah. Golden State will do the same. Turns him into a driver. Harden was amazing on the offensive end tonight. The Warriors were going at him each time they could on the defensive end.
- The shot making in this game was unreal and the ability to beat guys 1 on 1 is incredible.
- Ryan Anderson in the first half but that didn’t work so back to Nene in the second half.
- Rockets went after David West every time they could.
- Iguodala and Green seem reluctant to shoot. Rockets will likely make them shoot before the series is over.
- Klay Thompson 6 threes, two in the half court took came off poor Harden defense.
- Trevor Ariza 5th foul was big
- Opening moments of the 4th quarter were when the Rockets transition defense was at its worst. They allowed back to back three to Klay Thompson, one when Trevor Ariza is not tight, then next Chris Paul doesn’t get back instead gets in wrestling match and then the Warriors just out run the Rockets.
- Rockets don’t have a Capela/Harden pick and roll going because the Warriors are switching it every time instead of dropping the big like the Jazz did.
- Warriors aren’t guarding Luc Mbah a Moute and he was 0 for 6.
- The David West, Nene and Ryan Anderson minutes are a problem for both teams.
- Rockets took 66 of their 85 shots in restricted area or three point range – 76%. Better than Utah series
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022