College: Wichita State
Height w/o Shoes: 6’4”
Height w/ Shoes: 6’5.25”
Standing Reach: 8’4”
Max Vertical: 39.5”
College Statistics (2017/2018)
2-PT FG%: 56%
3-PT FG%: 44.2%
Comparisons: Kevin Martin, Denzel Valentine, Seth Curry
3 Things to Know
- High basketball IQ and a great facilitator and distributor.
- One of the better shooters in the draft with a nice offensive arsenal.
- Has a history of foot injuries in 2015 and 2017. His first one caused him to miss most of his freshman season.
– Good range and excellent 3-Point shooter (44.2%)
– Has good instincts and movement off the ball
– Great decision making and instincts when facilitating (Only 2.1 TOPG)
– Shown the ability to create out of the pick and roll
– Has a lot of fight and hustle on the defensive side of the ball
– Could add more quickness and burst on offense in order to create more separation
– Needs to work on handling ball pressure, can get easily flustered
– Needs to improve lateral quickness on defense to stay in front of guards
– Should continue to build frame to compensate for average athleticism and slim build
– Had surgery to repair stress fracture on his left foot in 2015 and right foot in 2017
Landry Shamet is an intriguing guard prospect in this year’s draft from Kansas City, Missouri. Shamet decided to play his college ball close to home, choosing to play for the Wichita State Shockers in Gregg Marshall’s 2015 recruiting class. Shamet only played 3 games his freshman season before going under the knife to repair a stress fracture in his left foot in November of 2015. Shamet again had surgery to repair a stress fracture in his other foot this past July; however, he only missed one game and led the Shockers in scoring with an average of 14.9 PPG while showcasing his talent for NBA scouts. Landry’s talent on the offensive floor is one aspect that has many scouts excited about his potential. He’s one of the better shooters in this draft class and showcased his range and ability to knock down 3’s from anywhere on the court with a 3-point percentage of 44.2%, which ranked 13th in the entire country. Thanks to his range, Shamet also displayed his playmaking ability out of the pick and roll to either stop and pop, drive, or dish to an open man. To touch more on his play making ability, he only averaged 2.1 turnovers per game and was ranked 49th in the country in assist to turnover ratio. He has a high basketball IQ and knows when to make the right play both when he does and doesn’t have the ball, thanks to his quick instincts and movements. He’ll need to improve his quickness at the next level in order to improve his offensive game and give him a quicker first step. Currently, his ball handling is alright, but he tends to get flustered when he’s hit with a heavy amount of ball pressure, something that must be improved. Finally, on the defensive side of the ball he constantly shows hustle and fight, but his lateral quickness and footwork need to improve in order to stay in front of even quicker guards in the NBA. He could also benefit from adding some weight and strength to his frame in order to compensate for average athleticism. Shamet has the potential to be another effective Wichita State Shocker in the NBA like his former teammates Ron Baker and Fred VanVleet as long as he can continue to make improvements and stay on the court. Look for Shamet to be selected anywhere from the late first to the middle of the second round in the draft.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Ripple effect of Durant injury, Game 5 thoughts and 6 players for the Utah Jazz in the draft
The NBA will be changed for at least a decade based on what happened last night in Game 5 of the NBA Finals. David Locke, takes a look the impact of the Kevin Durant injury and how it will ripple across the NBA landscape and change the way things are done. In addition, Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, looks at the incredible Game 5, Kawhi’s stretch and where the series stands.
Then Locke looks at 6 players that will be in the Jazz range and how they may or may not fit into what the Jazz are doing. Plus, Locke shares 4 trades he is working on in the mock draft
LOCKED ON JAZZ – If no Ricky Rubio then what? If Donovan Mitchell then what? Draftee breakdowns on Admiral Schofield and Keldon Johnson
What happens if the Jazz move past Ricky Rubio what are the other options at point guard? If the Jazz go to Donovan Mitchell at point guard is there a certain style the Jazz need to play or lineups that have worked or not worked over the past season? David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, takes a look at all those numbers and find some interesting things about what works with Donovan Mitchell and the value of Ricky Rubio.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Ricky Rubio’s comments, another Point Guard option, Warriors win, Draft Expectations
The Golden State Warriors reminded everyone what a champion really consists of. David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider takes a look at the Warriors win. Then Locke delves into the RIcky Rubio comments and explains how Goran Dragic has a decision to make that impacts a lot of aspect of the free agency market. Plus, what is realistic to expect from a the Jazz first round draft pick.
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Creating the Jazz rotation for the upcoming season and winners and losers of free agency November 25, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dark Mode, Western Conference Over Unders where do Utah Jazz sit? November 24, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Mitchell re-signs rookie extension, Favors returns to Utah, Clarkson comes back to lead the Bench November 23, 2020
- BREAKING LOCKED ON JAZZ- The Utah Jazz have signed Derrick Favors and re-signed Jordan Clarkson November 20, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Free Agency Day. What can the Utah Jazz do? The 7 best listener trades November 20, 2020
Utah Jazz1 week ago
BREAKING LOCKED ON JAZZ- The Utah Jazz have signed Derrick Favors and re-signed Jordan Clarkson
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Why did the Jazz go big? Who are Udoka Azubuike and Elijah Hughes?
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Free Agency Day. What can the Utah Jazz do? The 7 best listener trades
Utah Jazz5 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Mitchell re-signs rookie extension, Favors returns to Utah, Clarkson comes back to lead the Bench