SUMMARY: Pelicans equal the season series with the Jazz with a 10 point win in Utah behind their star bigs Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins.
- There a lot of things that can be looked at tonight, but the essence of this game is the Pelicans made their three point shots and the Jazz didn’t. The Pelicans were 14 of 30 from three while the Jazz finished just 7 of 32 from three.
- The Jazz are not defending the three point shot well. This has some variance and luck to it. However, the Jazz came into the game ranked 24th in the league defending the three and they are really struggling defending the above the break three. This was an issue again tonight.
- Some of it however is luck. Rajon Rondo goes 2 for 5, Darius Miller 3 for 5, Dante Cunningham 1 for 2. E’Twaun Moore 2 for 3 and DeMarcus Cousins 2 for 4. All of those are above their season averages.
- The Jazz got a strong offensive performance from Joe Johnson. Johnson hit his first 6 shots of the night and finished with a 9 of 12 shooting night and had 20 points. This was his season high.
- The game swung to the Pelicans at the end of the third quarter when they went on a 11-1 run to close the quarter and take a nine point lead going into the 4th
- The Pelicans took a higher level of focus on Donovan Mitchell than they did the December 1st Mitchell couldn’t get to the rim and his outside shot was not falling. He only made 6 of 17 from the field. On the other hand, his aggressiveness allowed him to get to the line 10 times, making 9. He still finished with 24 points on 17 shot attempts which is fabulous.
- Rodney Hood is the Jazz second scorer and tonight he didn’t have it. He was 1 for 10 for 2 points in 33 minutes. Not sure the Jazz can win a game when they get 2 points in 33 minutes from Hood. The defense has a high level of focus on Mitchell right now and Hood needs to find a way to take advantage of that freedom,
- Rodney Hood entered the game shooing 37% at home this season.
- When Rodney Hood shoots below 33% the Jazz are 2-8 on the season. The bigger issue is this has happened 10 times in 29 games.
- Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins are unbelievably gifted. The skill set they have with their size are once in a lifetime or once every few generations level of talent.
- These guys are so good that the Pelicans are winning the games they should and they are now 10-4 in games against sub .500 teams. That is going to get them in the playoffs.
- The Jazz offense was the issue tonight with an offensive rating of 100. The defense was average, but I am not sure without Rudy Gobert the Jazz defense is much more than average.
- Donovan Mitchell played 38 minutes tonight, Derrick Favors played 35 minutes.
- The Pelicans were +10 when Anthony Davis was the only big on the floor. They were +6 when both Davis and DeMarcus Cousins were on the floor and they were -6 when Cousins was on the floor.
- This is a tough loss for the Jazz in the playoff picture.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Donovan Mitchell on off court legacy, on court development and this year’s Jazz. Craig Bolerjack kicks off preview series
Donovan Mitchell signed his extension and then discussed what he will do with his new found wealth, how his off court legacy is what matters most to him, how is game changed in the bubble and how this year’s group will need to integrate. Then David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, sits down the with voice of the Utah Jazz Craig Bolerjack to discuss the upcoming season and Donovan Mitchell’s development.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Creating the Jazz rotation for the upcoming season and winners and losers of free agency
David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider was very surprised by the structure of the schedule and he talks about why. The Utah Jazz will allow fans in the stands on a limited basis. Locke looks into the rotation of the Utah Jazz and how to put together all of this talent and finally who were the winners and losers of Free Agency.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dark Mode, Western Conference Over Unders where do Utah Jazz sit?
The Utah Jazz revealed dark mode and it was kinda awesome. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider makes his case for a color change for the Utah Jazz. Then he looks at the Western Conference over unders and where the Jazz and the rest of the West sit. Plus, a quick look at the Utah Jazz rotation for the upcoming season.
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Donovan Mitchell on off court legacy, on court development and this year’s Jazz. Craig Bolerjack kicks off preview series November 30, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Creating the Jazz rotation for the upcoming season and winners and losers of free agency November 25, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dark Mode, Western Conference Over Unders where do Utah Jazz sit? November 24, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Mitchell re-signs rookie extension, Favors returns to Utah, Clarkson comes back to lead the Bench November 23, 2020
- BREAKING LOCKED ON JAZZ- The Utah Jazz have signed Derrick Favors and re-signed Jordan Clarkson November 20, 2020
Utah Jazz1 week ago
BREAKING LOCKED ON JAZZ- The Utah Jazz have signed Derrick Favors and re-signed Jordan Clarkson
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Why did the Jazz go big? Who are Udoka Azubuike and Elijah Hughes?
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Mitchell re-signs rookie extension, Favors returns to Utah, Clarkson comes back to lead the Bench
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Free Agency Day. What can the Utah Jazz do? The 7 best listener trades