EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
Summary: In a rhythm-less game the Utah Jazz never trailed and without contention won their 7th straight game.
- The Utah Jazz have won 7 straight. This is 31st time in franchise history (including New Orleans) the Jazz have had a 7 game win streak and the 4th time in the last 10 years.
- Ricky Rubio led the way for the Jazz again. He scored 29 points and was active early carrying the Jazz offense. Rubio has had 2 of his 4 highest scoring games of his career on this road trip. He had his career high in San Antonio and tonight was his 4th highest scoring game of his career. One of the other 4 was in Portland this season.
- Over the 7 game win streak Rubio is averaging over 20 points a game and dishing out around 8 assists. Lots of factors are leading to this level of play. The Jazz have made a few changes on where the pick and roll is originating from and this is allowing Rubio to get to better spots. However, it feels like much more than this.
- Rubio has been working a tremendous amount with Igor Kokoskov who is one of the best coaches in the world. They have been relentless in the drilling. They have been working on very specific body movements that they believe will improve his health, strength and shooting abilities. Has all that worked kicked in? That is hard to tell, however what might be a more important question is whether when he gets off this hot streak is his baseline a better player than before.
- Rubio’s confidence has made him more aggressive and if he can continue to go to the free throw line with regularity then even if his shooting regresses he is a valuable offensive player. Last season, despite his lower shooting percentages he was just a notch off of an average offensive player because he went to the free throw line at a high rate. This year he has not been going to the line until recently.
- The point guards he faced on this trip are not elite defensive point guards, though New Orleans crew is not bad, and Murray, Booker and Harrison are very young. Rubio was able to use his experience to take advantage of those players.
- Raul Neto had a terrific stint tonight as well. He does so many little things on the floor. He rotates correctly defensively, he gets into passing lanes and offensive he breaks the paint with more regularity than probably any one on the roster.
- The Grizzlies took away the Jazz roll man all night long with a crowded paint. This led to a enormous amount of turnovers and made it hard for the Jazz to get their pick and roll game going the way it has the last few nights. Marc Gasol continues to be one of the best positional defenders in the NBA.
- Rodney Hood had another really good game off the bench. As the Grizzlies crowded the paint Hood’s ability to make the mid range pull up was vital tonight and he rolled them in. Joe Johnson was also important in his ability to get baskets in the and around the basket
- The Jazz three point shooting which had been incredible over the last 5 games, well over 50% came back to life tonight and yet the Jazz were able to control the game
- Defensively the jazz made the night hard for Gasol who had as many FGA as pts and then made it difficult for their other guys to get good looks. Memphis is offensively challenged and the Jazz took advantage.
- Jazz never trailed. That is not easy to do in this league. It may not have been elegant, but it still had to cornerstone elements of the win streak concentration, collectiveness and connectivity.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022