EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
SUMMARY: Jazz fell to the New York Knicks 117-115 despite a tremendous return for Rudy Gobert
- Jazz had a furious rally back late in the 4th quarter and had three three point looks on one possession with :30 left to tie the game but none of them went down. Donovan Mitchell forced a poor look three, but Rubio sprinted across the lane for the rebound and found a wide open Joe Johnson for three, he missed. The Jazz got the rebound and kicked to an open Joe Ingles and he missed and the Jazz were done. Two of the Jazz best three point shooters for the tie and it didn’t go down.
- On the previous play with :49 left Joe Johnson got a wide open corner 3 looked and that missed as well.
- The Jazz defense was not good enough tonight. The Knicks offensive rating is a 107. Tonight it was a 114. The Jazz defense needs to be better than average to win games and a better than average defense tonight would have had the Knicks in the 102 range.
- The Jazz changed the starting lineup tonight and went with Ricky Rubio, Donovan Mitchell, Rodney Hood, Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert. The first quarter struggles didn’t end as Jazz trailed 14-9 at the first substitution. In the third quarter it worked better as the Jazz went from down 6 to up 3.
- Rodney Hood scored very well in the first half of the game and finished with 18 points, but has been having a hard time with a chin calf issue, thus the tape he has been wearing on this leg and he was unable to finish the game and will be re-evaluated tomorrow. This is really too bad since he was inserted into the starting line-up tonight and it is important for he and Donovan to figure out what they can do to compliment each other’s games.
- Rudy Gobert returned tonight was terrific. He had a huge impact on the game both offensively and defensively. The Knicks grabbed Rudy and didn’t want to let Rudy dunk. Jeff Hornacek has always talked about not allowing dunks when on the road and that seemed to be the strategy tonight to not allow Rudy to get follow dunks. He went to the line time and time again. His defensive presence was obvious as for the first time in weeks players drove to the basket and then couldn’t get a shooting window so they forced in traffic passes.
- The Knicks run a left side dribble handoff where Courtney Lee came from the corner for the handoff and curled tight into the lane time and time again in the third quarter. It allowed Courtney Lee to end up with 13 points in the 3rd
- The end of the 3rd quarter was the game changer as the Jazz went from up to down 7 as we headed into the 4th
- Donovan Mitchell had a tough night. He couldn’t find the room to have the impact he has had in some of the past games and his off the dribble three is not a very high percentage shot right now. The Knicks even went under on a few high pick and rolls and dared him to shot. He missed.
- These three home losses to the Knicks, Pacers and Pelicans are going to make a playoff push hard to come by for the Jazz. They are 5 wins behind the Clippers for 8th and 5 wins ahead of the Kings for last in the West.
JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Heat Get The Best Of The Jazz The Second Time Around
The Jazz headed back east to wrap up the first half of the schedule. Here is a recap of the first stop in Miami as they took on the Heat for the second time in as many weeks.
QUIN SNYDER COACHES SHOW- How Do Teams Try And Prep For Rudy Knowing How Dominant He Is
David Locke talks with Jazz Head Coach, Quin Snyder, about how teams prepare this season with the unique schedule and when you have a player as dominant as Rudy Gobert.
POSTCAST – The Butler did it in Miami as the Jazz fall to the Heat
The Utah Jazz fell on the first of a 4 game road trip as Jimmy Butler had a 32 point night for the Miami Heat. David Locke hosts POSTCAST with his breakdown of the game and then your comments and thoughts
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Heat Get The Best Of The Jazz The Second Time Around February 26, 2021
- QUIN SNYDER COACHES SHOW- How Do Teams Try And Prep For Rudy Knowing How Dominant He Is February 26, 2021
- POSTCAST – The Butler did it in Miami as the Jazz fall to the Heat February 26, 2021
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Utah Jazz v. the best and Jazz place in NBA history so far plus buyout market questions February 26, 2021
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – More record setting v. Los Angeles Lakers. Utah Jazz shot clock use tells a story February 25, 2021
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
POSTCAST – Passion filled POSTCAST about how brilliant the Utah Jazz have been this year
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Did Clippers write defensive script? Can Rudy Gobert be more dominant? Cord cutting and buy out market for the Utah Jazz
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dwayne Wade has Donovan Mitchell as All-Star Starter, Previewing the Clippers, Quin Snyder Wednesday
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jordan Clarkson’s vibe and history, Donovan Mitchell’s pass is the fabric of the team