EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
Summary: A 7-0 run to close the game highlighted by a Ricky Rubio three propels the Jazz to a surprising win over on the NBA’s elite teams.
• The Jazz defense was great tonight. The Raptors are the 4th best offensive team in the NBA and the Jazz completely knocked them out of their game. The Raptors are trying to hit early in their actions and the Jazz took them out of their systems.
• The Jazz defense held the Raptors to one of their 5 poorest offensive games.
• Rudy Gobert is an incredible force and to have him back on the floor makes such an enormous impact that I am almost embarrassed that we didn’t lead every story when he was out about his absence.
• On the final play of the game Quin Snyder opted not to call a timeout. I am assuming he didn’t call timeout because teams have been doubling Donovan Mitchell and if he had the ball why call the timeout. The play call was for Donovan to go 1 on 1 and not use a pick, again because that brings another defender to the ball. Dwane Casey was screaming to Kyle Lowry to come double team and when Donovan heard that call he made the right play and swung the ball to Ricky Rubio who was wide open and hit a three to give the Jazz the deciding basket.
• Jazz jumped to 10 point lead in the first quarter with great activity. They were forcing turnovers and getting baskets in the open court. The Raptors fired back and took a 3 point lead at the half. Then the Raptors stretched the lead to 12 in the 3rd quarter and they have only lost one game all year when they trailed going to the 4th quarter. The Jazz eclipsed the entire 12 point lead and took the lead by the time they entered the 4th quarter. However, the Raptors regained control going down the stretch and it felt as though one of the Eastern Conference best would pull out the win. However, the Jazz closed on a 7-0 run.
• Joe Ingles had another huge three late in the game
• The Jazz held the Raptors stars down. DeMar DeRozan was 7 of 22 tonight with 7 free throw attempts and Kyle Lowry was 2 for 14 and 0 for 6 from three. Jonas Valanciunas has a mammoth night, but this is because the Jazz were doing so much to defend Lowry and DeRozan. Rudy Gobert was playing a little higher on the pick and roll taking away the comfort zone for DeRozan and Lowry to work. This allows Valenciunas to get behind the defense and he did. He had 28 points and 14 rebounds, 5 of the them on the offensive end.
• The Raptors are the #1 team in the NBA defending the paint. They also allow the third most amount of shots in the paint. The Jazz hit on just 21 of 49 shots in the paint. 49 is a lot of attempts, but being under 50% is a sign of how the Raptors defense works.
• Donovan Mitchell had 26 points on 9 of 20 shooting and hit on 4 of 7 from three. He knocked down some big 4th quarter shots off the bounce.
• Rudy Gobert finished with 18 points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks.
• Rudy Gobert’s defense was incredible and Derrick Favors had his 2nd straight super defensive outing.
• You don’t get many wins this good in an NBA season. At the 2nd best home team in the NBA, who is 17-4 against below .500 teams, who is 2nd in the East, who has 2 4 time all-stars. Impressive performance.
Jazz fall to Golden State in amazing Jordan Clarkson experience, Key parts of the game, Jazz are offensive team
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider, brings you the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz with Locked On Jazz
- Jazz lose to the Warriors
- Jordan Clarkson crazy night
- Defensive issues with Rudy Gobert off the floor
- Is Rudy Gobert having the greatest defensive season of all time
- Power Ranking Tuesday
JAZZ GAME REWIND- Despite A Heroic Comeback The Jazz Fall In The Golden Gate City
After a five game homestand, the Jazz headed to San Francisco to take on the Warriors. Here is a recap of how it went down at the Chase Center.
QUIN SNYDER COACHES SHOW- Let Rudy Do What He Does And Be Rudy
Utah Jazz Head Coach, Quin Snyder, talks before the Jazz take on the Warriors.
- Jazz fall to Golden State in amazing Jordan Clarkson experience, Key parts of the game, Jazz are offensive team May 11, 2021
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- Despite A Heroic Comeback The Jazz Fall In The Golden Gate City May 11, 2021
- QUIN SNYDER COACHES SHOW- Let Rudy Do What He Does And Be Rudy May 11, 2021
- POSTCAST — Furious comeback falls short v. Warriors May 11, 2021
- How fun is this? Bojan Bogdanovic has been amazing can it last with Mike and Don May 10, 2021
Utah Jazz4 days ago
POSTCAST – Utah Jazz get massive win over Denver Nuggets and bodacious performance from Bojan
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
Utah Jazz without Mike Conley what is the impact? Could it mean 3 seed or even 4 seed ?
Utah Jazz1 week ago
Bojan Bogdanovic taking advantage, Quin figuring this group out, shot charts
Utah Jazz7 days ago
What former Utah Jazz player not named Stockton or Malone would you put on this Jazz team?