EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
Summary: A 7-0 run to close the game highlighted by a Ricky Rubio three propels the Jazz to a surprising win over on the NBA’s elite teams.
• The Jazz defense was great tonight. The Raptors are the 4th best offensive team in the NBA and the Jazz completely knocked them out of their game. The Raptors are trying to hit early in their actions and the Jazz took them out of their systems.
• The Jazz defense held the Raptors to one of their 5 poorest offensive games.
• Rudy Gobert is an incredible force and to have him back on the floor makes such an enormous impact that I am almost embarrassed that we didn’t lead every story when he was out about his absence.
• On the final play of the game Quin Snyder opted not to call a timeout. I am assuming he didn’t call timeout because teams have been doubling Donovan Mitchell and if he had the ball why call the timeout. The play call was for Donovan to go 1 on 1 and not use a pick, again because that brings another defender to the ball. Dwane Casey was screaming to Kyle Lowry to come double team and when Donovan heard that call he made the right play and swung the ball to Ricky Rubio who was wide open and hit a three to give the Jazz the deciding basket.
• Jazz jumped to 10 point lead in the first quarter with great activity. They were forcing turnovers and getting baskets in the open court. The Raptors fired back and took a 3 point lead at the half. Then the Raptors stretched the lead to 12 in the 3rd quarter and they have only lost one game all year when they trailed going to the 4th quarter. The Jazz eclipsed the entire 12 point lead and took the lead by the time they entered the 4th quarter. However, the Raptors regained control going down the stretch and it felt as though one of the Eastern Conference best would pull out the win. However, the Jazz closed on a 7-0 run.
• Joe Ingles had another huge three late in the game
• The Jazz held the Raptors stars down. DeMar DeRozan was 7 of 22 tonight with 7 free throw attempts and Kyle Lowry was 2 for 14 and 0 for 6 from three. Jonas Valanciunas has a mammoth night, but this is because the Jazz were doing so much to defend Lowry and DeRozan. Rudy Gobert was playing a little higher on the pick and roll taking away the comfort zone for DeRozan and Lowry to work. This allows Valenciunas to get behind the defense and he did. He had 28 points and 14 rebounds, 5 of the them on the offensive end.
• The Raptors are the #1 team in the NBA defending the paint. They also allow the third most amount of shots in the paint. The Jazz hit on just 21 of 49 shots in the paint. 49 is a lot of attempts, but being under 50% is a sign of how the Raptors defense works.
• Donovan Mitchell had 26 points on 9 of 20 shooting and hit on 4 of 7 from three. He knocked down some big 4th quarter shots off the bounce.
• Rudy Gobert finished with 18 points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks.
• Rudy Gobert’s defense was incredible and Derrick Favors had his 2nd straight super defensive outing.
• You don’t get many wins this good in an NBA season. At the 2nd best home team in the NBA, who is 17-4 against below .500 teams, who is 2nd in the East, who has 2 4 time all-stars. Impressive performance.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022