Day 3 of Utah Jazz Training Camp
- Thabo Sefolosha sat out today with a mild ankle sprain
- When Quin Snyder took job his key phrase was “obvious unselfishness” today he changed it slightly to “obvious selflessness.” This might be the same or this might show where the team is. The unselfishness was what he wanted someone to see when they watched the Jazz play. With the incredible depth on this roster the selflessness may have more to do with internal items. The Jazz have one of the deepest rosters and one of the most versatile roster in the NBA. The impact of this is that playing time and rolls could vary night to night, week to week and month to month.
- Speaking of rolls being different Dante Exum talked to the media about playing with Ricky Rubio and Donovan Mitchell. Against almost every team in the league this combination could be successful. For Dante whose strength is his speed and first step to play off the action of Ricky and Donovan would allow him to get the ball with an advantage most of the time and use that strength. Dante says he is comfortable playing and guarding 3s and playing off the ball. He said that during the summer in the games in Los Angeles he was often guarding NBA 3s and didn’t have a problem with it.
- The flip side of this would be a lineup of Joe Inlges, Alec Burks and Royce O’Neale. All good ball handlers, none of them a point guard. However, in Quin Snyder’s system maybe this could find its way on the floor. The point is not that the aforementioned lineup would be on the floor, but it easily could be on the floor together. The Jazz have 7 players who can flip between the 1 thru 3 position and all but Rubio could probably play all 3 of those positions in Quin’s offense.
- Could you imagine if the Jazz first substitution is Dante Exum for Joe Ingles and Jae Crowder for Derrick Favors or Rudy Gobert. This could be a heck of a speed lineup to change the pace and speed of the game. Then you have Ingles and Favors coming off the floor they could re-surface together in the 2nd quarter and that was one of the best pick and roll combinations the Jazz had all of last season. Again, numerous options.
- Nothing is set in stone and with the truncated pre-season Quin Snyder has limited time to discover what combinations he wants to use, but it clear his options are endless and that is why he needs “obvious selflessness.”
- Quin Snyder said the team is working on getting more precise with the actions.
- What is nice for Quin is that the adjustments he has made during the off-season are off the base plays that the players already know and so he is able to teach the adjustments and the precision to those adjustments without having to teach alignment or play structure.
- Jazz will have the 2nd two a day with a night practice tomorrow. Friday they will practice in the morning and have the open event on Friday night.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday
The Utah Jazz used offensive rebounding to beat the Orlando Magic. The increase in offensive rebounding is a league wide trend due to analytics. Mike Conley and Derrick Favors had interesting comments about playing in Utah in the Athletic article. It is a trend Monday as well.
Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show
If you missed tonight action, I’ll get you caught up in this edition of Jazz Game Rewind! The Utah Jazz struggled in the 1st half, but found their groove in the 2nd, as Donovan Mitchell dropped 25 second half points to lead Utah to a 124-109 victory
POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic
David Locke hosts POSTCAST after each Jazz game tonight the Jazz beat the Magic with thrid quarter surge and Donovan Mitchell commanding 2nd half play.
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday March 1, 2021
- Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show February 27, 2021
- POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic February 27, 2021
- Quin Snyder Coaches Show – Jazz @ Magic February 27, 2021
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Heat Get The Best Of The Jazz The Second Time Around February 26, 2021
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Did Clippers write defensive script? Can Rudy Gobert be more dominant? Cord cutting and buy out market for the Utah Jazz
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dwayne Wade has Donovan Mitchell as All-Star Starter, Previewing the Clippers, Quin Snyder Wednesday
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jordan Clarkson’s vibe and history, Donovan Mitchell’s pass is the fabric of the team
Utah Jazz4 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – More record setting v. Los Angeles Lakers. Utah Jazz shot clock use tells a story