Day 3 of Utah Jazz Training Camp
- Thabo Sefolosha sat out today with a mild ankle sprain
- When Quin Snyder took job his key phrase was “obvious unselfishness” today he changed it slightly to “obvious selflessness.” This might be the same or this might show where the team is. The unselfishness was what he wanted someone to see when they watched the Jazz play. With the incredible depth on this roster the selflessness may have more to do with internal items. The Jazz have one of the deepest rosters and one of the most versatile roster in the NBA. The impact of this is that playing time and rolls could vary night to night, week to week and month to month.
- Speaking of rolls being different Dante Exum talked to the media about playing with Ricky Rubio and Donovan Mitchell. Against almost every team in the league this combination could be successful. For Dante whose strength is his speed and first step to play off the action of Ricky and Donovan would allow him to get the ball with an advantage most of the time and use that strength. Dante says he is comfortable playing and guarding 3s and playing off the ball. He said that during the summer in the games in Los Angeles he was often guarding NBA 3s and didn’t have a problem with it.
- The flip side of this would be a lineup of Joe Inlges, Alec Burks and Royce O’Neale. All good ball handlers, none of them a point guard. However, in Quin Snyder’s system maybe this could find its way on the floor. The point is not that the aforementioned lineup would be on the floor, but it easily could be on the floor together. The Jazz have 7 players who can flip between the 1 thru 3 position and all but Rubio could probably play all 3 of those positions in Quin’s offense.
- Could you imagine if the Jazz first substitution is Dante Exum for Joe Ingles and Jae Crowder for Derrick Favors or Rudy Gobert. This could be a heck of a speed lineup to change the pace and speed of the game. Then you have Ingles and Favors coming off the floor they could re-surface together in the 2nd quarter and that was one of the best pick and roll combinations the Jazz had all of last season. Again, numerous options.
- Nothing is set in stone and with the truncated pre-season Quin Snyder has limited time to discover what combinations he wants to use, but it clear his options are endless and that is why he needs “obvious selflessness.”
- Quin Snyder said the team is working on getting more precise with the actions.
- What is nice for Quin is that the adjustments he has made during the off-season are off the base plays that the players already know and so he is able to teach the adjustments and the precision to those adjustments without having to teach alignment or play structure.
- Jazz will have the 2nd two a day with a night practice tomorrow. Friday they will practice in the morning and have the open event on Friday night.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – President’s Weekend Edition – Where the West Stands, Jazz rotations and more plus Points Gained
The All-Star break is here and David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider has what to look for in the 2nd half of the season in the Western Conference teams and their schedule.
Then Locke takes your questions largely about rotations and combinations that the Utah Jazz are playing or could play. Then it is time for Points Gained.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Warriors recap, guys stepping up and where the Utah Jazz stand at the break
The Utah Jazz played their final game prior to the All-Star break and lost to the Golden State Warriors. The Jazz showed a lot of fight and grit. Two players in particular continue to be superb.
The Warriors also showed the World Champion approach and got brilliant stretches from Draymond Green and Steph Curry.
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, takes a look at where the Jazz stand as we hit the all-star break and what they have ahead.
POSTCAST – Jazz show grit Warriors show World Champ chops
Utah Jazz radio post game show about the Utah Jazz battle with the Golden State Warriors
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Impact of the Tobias Harris deal, rumors and Utah Jazz decisions
Utah Jazz1 week ago
EMPTYING THE NOGGIN – Jazz buck the Spurs in a blow out win
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Korver impact v. best teams. Two most interesting trade discussions and Time Machine Tuesday
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – A Trade-less deadline for the Utah Jazz